Novae

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
      Novae

      Mark wrote:

      Just out of curiosity: do you know how bright these
      novae got?

      Sorry, I don't, but I'll bet if you Google them you'll find out...
      that would be Nova Puppis 1942 and Nova Lacertae 1936.

      Let me know if you find out

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://pw1.netcom.com/~ye-stars/

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:

        > Mark wrote:
        >
        > Just out of curiosity: do you know how bright these
        > novae got?

        (you wrote)

        > Sorry, I don't, but I'll bet if you Google them
        > you'll find out...
        > that would be Nova Puppis 1942 and Nova Lacertae
        > 1936.

        I can look; I just thought you knew.

        > Let me know if you find out

        I will.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006

          > --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Mark wrote:
          > >
          > > Just out of curiosity: do you know how bright these
          > > novae got?
          >
          > (you wrote)
          >

          > > Sorry, I don't, but I'll bet if you Google them
          > > you'll find out...
          > > that would be Nova Puppis 1942

          ...also known as CP Puppis...

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_Puppis

          and Nova Lacertae
          > > 1936.

          ...also known as CP Lacertae.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_Lacertae

          It seems a good many novae have been put in the variable-star
          category by astronomers.

          > > Let me know if you find out
          >

          > I will.

          CP Lacertae hit magnitude +2.1 in 1936, and CP Puppis hit magnitude
          +0.3 in 1942.

          Here's a Wikipedia page on novae that includes a list of novae that
          attained seventh magnitude and up since 1891, more objects for my
          fixed-stars lists (probably the novae page, too, once I can get a
          handle on their astrological influence).

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova

          And this is the Wikipedia supernova page.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova