Re: Fixed star alignments (March 5, 2006)

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2006

      > As of noon CST.
      >
      > Asterisks indicate alignments that didn't exist at this time last
      week
      > (with a 1 00' orb)
      >

      > Jupiter
      >
      > Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)
      >
      > Nu Librae
      >
      > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; marks the obsolete constellation Solitarius,
      > the Solitaire [bird])
      >
      > Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)
      >

      > Saturn
      >
      > Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation
      > Officina Typographica, the Printing Office)
      >
      > *Altarf (Beta Cancri)

      In one of the Crab's feet. The name comes from the Arabic for "the
      glance" (Anne Wright says Allen says "the end").

      > Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)
      >

      > Uranus
      >
      > *Satabishaj (Lambda Aquarii)

      in the stream of water pouring from Aquarius' jug; also known as
      Ekchusis ("the outpouring")

      > Scovil's Object
      >

      > Neptune
      >
      > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
      >
      > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
      >
      > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
      >

      > Pluto
      >
      > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
      >
      > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
      >
      > *RS Ophiuchi
      >
      > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
      >
      > Galactic Center
      >
      > *Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

      in a box? in the box? a pine box? boxed in? to box?

      (three men have been arrested in connection with the church fires in
      Alabama)

      ?

      > Ceres
      >
      > *Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
      >
      > *Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
      >
      > *Alshain (Beta Aquilae)
      >
      > *Dumbbell Nebula (M-27 Vulpeculae)
      >
      > *Shelton's Star (Supernova 1987A Doradus)

      I have "altruism = subversion" for this one.

      > *Footprint Nebula (Minkowski 1-92 Cygni; near Albireo [Beta Cygni].
      > Also known as Minkowski's Footprint)

      Dana Reeve, Christopher Reeve's widow and a prominent advocate for
      stem-cell research, has died, of lung cancer. The media emphasize
      that she did not smoke.

      (People with lung cancer, like people with HIV/AIDS, all too often
      have others think they had it coming, especially if they smoke or
      smoked in the past.)

      > Pallas
      >
      > *Facies (M-22 Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Alpha Scuti

      to shield, to protect

      (the UAE port-management controversy?)

      > *Cerberus (109 Herculis, marks the obsolete constellation Cerberus,
      > the Guard Dog of Hades, which Hercules is sometimes depicted as
      holding)

      whatever (or whoever) goes in doesn't come out

      > Juno
      >
      > *Bellatrix (Gamma Orionis)
      >
      > *Capella (Alpha Aurigae)
      >
      > *Phact (Alpha Columbae)
      >
      > *Mintaka (Delta Orionis)
      >
      > *Beta Camelopardalis

      underneath the Giraffe's belly (pissed upon? escaping a bad
      situation, as Odysseus and his men escaped Polyphemus' cave?)

      > *Thabit (Upsilon Orionis)

      I think this is in Orion the Hunter's chest.

      An uproar over a Nation of Islam member appointed to the Illinois
      hate-crimes board by Governor Rod Blagojevich.

      Accusations of terrorism against an Iranian-American man who
      deliberately drove an SUV into a crowd of students at the University
      of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

      The Archbishop of Canterbury has made a statement condemning Bush's
      prison at Guant`anamo Bay.

      Five Vermont towns which have government by town meeting have voted
      to ask the state's US representative to file articles of impeachment
      against Bush.

      A 12th-grade politics and government class at a Parsippany, New
      Jersey high school is holding a mock war-crimes trial of Bush, and
      an Aurora, Colorado high-school geography teacher has been put on
      leave amid reports that he compared Bush to Hitler in class; both
      incidents have generated an uproar, mainly from the political right.

      *Brokeback Mountain* didn't win as big at the Oscars as hoped
      (although it did win Best Director for Ang Lee, Best Adapted
      Screenplay for Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry--who wrote the
      screenplay from Annie Proulx's short story--and Best Music Score for
      Gustavo Santaolalla). Some see homophobia in these decisions.

      > *Arneb (Alpha Leporis)

      the draconian South Dakota abortion law?

      > *Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405 Aurigae)

      sudden celebrity? finding oneself in the eye of a storm?

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2006
        As of noon CST.

        Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today
        (orbs <= 1 00').

        Jupiter

        Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)

        Nu Librae

        Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in Hydra the Sea-Monster's tail, also marks the
        obsolete constellation Solitarius, the Solitaire [bird])

        Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)

        Saturn

        Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation
        Officina Typographica, the Printing Office)

        *Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)

        Altarf (Beta Cancri)

        Uranus

        Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii; aka Satabishaj)

        *Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri; as its name suggests, it marks the head
        of Hydrus the Water-Snake--where its fangs are)

        Scovil's Object (in Cygnus, doesn't seem to have a catalog number)

        Neptune

        Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

        Pluto

        Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

        Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

        RS Ophiuchi

        Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

        Galactic Center

        Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

        Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

        Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)

        Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

        Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

        Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

        Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad, in
        the globular cluster Terzan 5)

        Ceres

        *Bos (Rho Capricorni)

        *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)

        *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

        *Alshat (Nu Capricorni)

        *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

        *Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)

        Juno

        *Al Hecka (Zeta Corvi)

        *Alnilam (Epsilon Orionis)

        *Alnitak (Zeta Orionis)

        *Tien Kuan (Zeta Tauri)

        *Meissa (Lambda Orionis)

        *Crab Nebula (M-1 Tauri, a supernova remnant and deep-space radio source)

        (I have "behind the eight-ball" for this one)

        *Flame Nebula (NGC 2024 Orionis, a diffuse nebula around Alnitak in
        Orion's belt)

        *Horsehead Nebula (IC 434 Orionis, a nebula south of Mintaka [Delta
        Orionis])

        Vesta

        *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)

        Integral Sign (Uppsala 3697 Camelopardalis)

        Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)

        Chiron

        Youe (Psi Capricorni)

        *Globus (Gamma Microscopii; in Microscopium the Microscope; also marks
        the obsolete constellation Globus Aerostatica [the Hot-Air Balloon])

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2006

          > > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

          Some quotations from William Makepeace Thackeray:

          http://www.bartleby.com/100/464.html

          "Suppose in a game of life - and it is but a twopenny game after
          all - you are equally eager of winning. Shall you be ashamed of your
          ambition, or glory in it?" (*Autour de mon Chapeau*, 1863)

          "He who meanly admires mean things is a Snob." (*The Book of Snobs*,
          1848)

          > > Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-
          2446ad,
          > in
          > > the globular cluster Terzan 5)

          Anybody have any ideas about this one?

          > > Chiron
          > >

          > > *Black Widow Pulsar (B1957+20 Sagittae)

          There's a trial going on in California of a woman accused of
          murdering her husband, a psychiatrist who seduced her when she was a
          teenager and her patient.

          Unethical, unethical...

          Maybe more later.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2006

            > As of noon CST.
            >
            > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago [March
            12]
            > (orbs <= 1 00').
            >

            > Jupiter
            >
            > Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)
            >
            > Nu Librae
            >
            > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in Hydra the Sea-Monster's tail, also marks
            the
            > obsolete constellation Solitarius, the Solitaire [bird])
            >
            > Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)
            >

            > Saturn
            >
            > Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation
            > Officina Typographica, the Printing Office)
            >
            > *Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)

            It looks as though this is in one of the Great Bear's hind paws. Not
            a forepaw, which it could use to strike a blow, but a back paw,
            which it could use to climb a tree, stand upright, or make tracks
            (walk).

            > Altarf (Beta Cancri)
            >

            > Uranus
            >
            > Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii; aka Satabishaj)
            >
            > *Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri; as its name suggests, it marks the
            head
            > of Hydrus the Water-Snake--where its fangs are)

            Some Arabs feel betrayed over the failed Dubai port-management deal.

            > Scovil's Object (in Cygnus, doesn't seem to have a catalog number)
            >

            > Neptune
            >
            > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
            >

            > Pluto
            >
            > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
            >
            > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
            >
            > RS Ophiuchi
            >
            > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
            >
            > Galactic Center
            >
            > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
            >
            > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
            >
            > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
            >
            > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)
            >
            > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
            >
            > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
            >
            > Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad,
            in
            > the globular cluster Terzan 5)
            >

            > Ceres
            >
            > *Bos (Rho Capricorni)
            >
            > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)

            Cutting right through to something, or maybe cutting something off
            (the death of Slobodan Milosevic has ended the legal case against
            him).

            > *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

            I think this would be where one holds the Harp, toward the top.

            > *Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
            >
            > *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

            A four-leaf clover (luck, a talisman), a shamrock (something Irish;
            St. Patrick's Day is Friday); a highway interchange (crossroads).

            > *Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)
            >

            > Juno
            >
            > *Al Hecka (Zeta Corvi)

            Mislabeled; this is Zeta Tauri. See below.

            > *Alnilam (Epsilon Orionis)

            "It gives fleeting public honors." (Robson)

            The game-show host, Peter what's his name, who died along with his
            wife when their plane crashed off Santa Monica?

            > *Alnitak (Zeta Orionis)

            From the Arabic for "the belt."

            "Strength, energy, industry, organizing abilities, notoriety, good
            fortune, lasting happiness, a sharp mind and a good memory." (Robson)

            ...grass-roots movements, for and against abortion, stem-cell
            research, the impeachment of Bush...

            > *Tien Kuan (Zeta Tauri)

            Also known as Al Hecka. It marks the southern horn of the Bull.

            "It gives violence, male violence and danger of accidents." (Robson)

            Anne Wright also mentions something about "taking the bull by the
            horns."

            > *Meissa (Lambda Orionis)

            In Orion's head; name comes from the Arabic for "the shining one"
            or "the white spot."

            > *Crab Nebula (M-1 Tauri, a supernova remnant and deep-space radio
            source)

            > (I have "behind the eight-ball" for this one)
            >
            > *Flame Nebula (NGC 2024 Orionis, a diffuse nebula around Alnitak in
            > Orion's belt)

            burning for something?

            "General influence of the Cingula Orionis (Orion's Belt): The joint
            influence is to give strength, energy, industry, organizing
            abilities, notoriety, good fortune, lasting happiness, a sharp mind
            and a good memory." (Robson)

            "'Passionately devoted to hunting, but not noble hunting with falcon
            or bow.' Excellent fishermen. Treacherous. All kinds of dangers.
            Irreligious. In a female chart - if rising and aspected by both Mars
            and a benefic - a shrew." (Noonan)

            > *Horsehead Nebula (IC 434 Orionis, a nebula south of Mintaka [Delta
            > Orionis])

            "straight from the horse's mouth"

            (Saddam Hussein testifies in his trial, uttering more political
            rants, and the judge shuts off the cameras)

            > Vesta
            >
            > *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)

            Gives eminence in art, but liability to accidents involving the
            feet, according to Robson.

            > Integral Sign (Uppsala 3697 Camelopardalis)
            >
            > Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)

            The themes of gain through responsibility (Rosette Nebula) and
            respecting personal space (the Integral Sign Galaxy) continue.

            The cartoon controversy hasn't gone away and Iran is talking
            belligerent about its nuclear program.

            > Chiron
            >
            > Youe (Psi Capricorni)
            >
            > *Globus (Gamma Microscopii; in Microscopium the Microscope; also
            marks
            > the obsolete constellation Globus Aerostatica [the Hot-Air
            Balloon])

            Lots of hot air?

            None of the numerous resolutions calling for Bush's impeachment have
            been made by anyone in a position to do it (e.g., San Francisco and
            several other cities in California and Vermont). And when Wisconsin
            Senator Russ Feingold introduced a resolution to censure Bush...he
            couldn't even get much support from the other Senate Democrats.

            For *censure.* For things Bush has done that would have gotten Nixon
            *impeachment*, and removal from office, if he hadn't resigned.

            > Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)
            >
            > Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450+2922 Cygni)

            rape in the news in Italy and Pakistan

            > South Node
            >
            > Zaniah (Eta Virginis)

            falling back on being nice, being used to civilized or refined
            behavior?

            > Edasich (Iota Draconis)
            >
            > Tureis (Iota Carinae)

            like a name brand

            > Al Dhibah (Zeta Draconis, also known as Nodus I)
            >
            > Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)

            An Army dog handler is being tried for using his dog to terrorize
            Abu Ghraib inmates, and the tawdry case of the death of Pat Tillman
            is back in the news.

            > Lost Galaxy (NGC 4526 Virginis)

            something lost

            > Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis)

            Two people or things joined together so that one has to come along
            with the other on everything (who? or what?)

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 22, 2006

              > > As of noon CST.
              > >
              > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there [March
              > 12]
              > > (orbs <= 1 00').

              > > Pluto
              > >

              > > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

              (1) If you thought you had a chance to win at something, would you
              go for it? (Portia Simpson-Miller, Tammy Duckworth: Yes.)

              (2) Public personae can be tiresome to wear. (George W. Bush?
              Kathleen Blanco? She generally does her venting in private, unlike
              Ray Nagin.)