Serpens

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8 3:28 PM
      Reading that thing in the Wikipedia article about
      Libra about Sigma Librae being misdesignated Gamma
      Scorpii despite being inside Libra got me thinking
      (for some reason) about Serpens, which as we know is
      in two pieces, Serpens Caput (the Serpent's Head) and
      Serpens Cauda (the Serpent's Tail), with Ophiuchus
      between them. (Maybe it's "misdesignation" that got me
      started on this.)

      I've always wondered why Serpens Caput and Serpens
      Cauda were not made separate constellations long ago;
      it seems as logical (if not more so) as chopping up
      Argo into Carina, Vela, Puppis and Pyxis. (I think the
      astronomers did that because they decided Argo was too
      big.)

      Diana, do you have any idea why Serpens is still one
      constellation to the astronomers?

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8 6:04 PM
        Wikipedia has some pretty nice-looking info on constellations and
        stars, extensive and neatly formatted (caveats: not only does not
        every object have an entry--although a great many of them do--but
        the pages are prone to vandalism and I've known errata to go
        uncorrected for months). But this site, generally speaking, is very
        useful.

        Mark A. Holmes

        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-