Zuben Hakrabi

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
      Zuben Hakrabi

         Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:19:56 -0000
         From: "oparhi" <eh7706@...>
      Subject: Re: Zuben Hakrabi

      Oparhi wrote:

      >In this link of Wikipedia, you can read of Zuben Hakrabi:
      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libra
      >Not much on Nu Librae yet,

      Thank you!

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://pw1.netcom.com/~ye-stars/

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
        Reading that thing in the Wikipedia article about
        Libra about Sigma Librae being misdesignated Gamma
        Scorpii despite being inside Libra got me thinking
        (for some reason) about Serpens, which as we know is
        in two pieces, Serpens Caput (the Serpent's Head) and
        Serpens Cauda (the Serpent's Tail), with Ophiuchus
        between them. (Maybe it's "misdesignation" that got me
        started on this.)

        I've always wondered why Serpens Caput and Serpens
        Cauda were not made separate constellations long ago;
        it seems as logical (if not more so) as chopping up
        Argo into Carina, Vela, Puppis and Pyxis. (I think the
        astronomers did that because they decided Argo was too
        big.)

        Diana, do you have any idea why Serpens is still one
        constellation to the astronomers?

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
          Wikipedia has some pretty nice-looking info on constellations and
          stars, extensive and neatly formatted (caveats: not only does not
          every object have an entry--although a great many of them do--but
          the pages are prone to vandalism and I've known errata to go
          uncorrected for months). But this site, generally speaking, is very
          useful.

          Mark A. Holmes

          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-