Re: Zuben Hakrabi

  • oparhi
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
      Hi,

      In this link of Wikipedia, you can read of Zuben Hakrabi:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libra
      Not much on Nu Librae yet,

      Some more links:
      http://www.roe.ac.uk/vc/actpublic/observing/skyatnight.html

      Here they talk of Upsilon Librae:
      http://msowww.anu.edu.au/info/adopt/adopt-li.php

      http://www.aaa.org/aaawhatsup.htm

      EST:
      March 3 Jupiter is 3° north of mag. 5 star ν Nu Librae.
      March 4 Jupiter is stationary, beginning retrograde motion
      (west-to-east), in preparation for its May 4 opposition..
      March 8 Jupiter is 5° north of ν Nu Librae. See March 3. How can
      Jupiter pass the same star twice in such a short period of time?
      Because Jupiter reversed direction on March 4.
      MARCH 14 Full Moon at 6:35 PM. Penumbral lunar eclipse.
      March 20 Spring Equinox at 1:26 PM.
      March 24 Mercury is stationary.
      March 25 Venus at greatest elongation west (47° from the Sun).
      MARCH 29 New Moon at 5:15 AM. Total solar eclipse.
      Pluto is stationary.
    • Diana K. Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
        Zuben Hakrabi

           Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:19:56 -0000
           From: "oparhi" <eh7706@...>
        Subject: Re: Zuben Hakrabi

        Oparhi wrote:

        >In this link of Wikipedia, you can read of Zuben Hakrabi:
        >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libra
        >Not much on Nu Librae yet,

        Thank you!

        Love, Diana

        Website: http://pw1.netcom.com/~ye-stars/

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
          Reading that thing in the Wikipedia article about
          Libra about Sigma Librae being misdesignated Gamma
          Scorpii despite being inside Libra got me thinking
          (for some reason) about Serpens, which as we know is
          in two pieces, Serpens Caput (the Serpent's Head) and
          Serpens Cauda (the Serpent's Tail), with Ophiuchus
          between them. (Maybe it's "misdesignation" that got me
          started on this.)

          I've always wondered why Serpens Caput and Serpens
          Cauda were not made separate constellations long ago;
          it seems as logical (if not more so) as chopping up
          Argo into Carina, Vela, Puppis and Pyxis. (I think the
          astronomers did that because they decided Argo was too
          big.)

          Diana, do you have any idea why Serpens is still one
          constellation to the astronomers?

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
            Wikipedia has some pretty nice-looking info on constellations and
            stars, extensive and neatly formatted (caveats: not only does not
            every object have an entry--although a great many of them do--but
            the pages are prone to vandalism and I've known errata to go
            uncorrected for months). But this site, generally speaking, is very
            useful.

            Mark A. Holmes

            --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-