Fixed star alignments (March 5, 2006)

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2006
      As of noon CST.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that didn't exist at this time last week
      (with a 1 00' orb)

      Jupiter

      Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)

      Nu Librae

      Solitarius (58 Hydrae; marks the obsolete constellation Solitarius,
      the Solitaire [bird])

      Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)

      Saturn

      Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation
      Officina Typographica, the Printing Office)

      *Altarf (Beta Cancri)

      Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)

      Uranus

      *Satabishaj (Lambda Aquarii)

      Scovil's Object

      Neptune

      Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

      Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

      Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

      Pluto

      Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

      Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

      *RS Ophiuchi

      Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

      Galactic Center

      *Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

      Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

      Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)

      Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

      Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

      Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

      Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad, in
      the globular cluster Terzan 5)

      Ceres

      *Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)

      *Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)

      *Alshain (Beta Aquilae)

      *Dumbbell Nebula (M-27 Vulpeculae)

      *Shelton's Star (Supernova 1987A Doradus)

      *Footprint Nebula (Minkowski 1-92 Cygni; near Albireo [Beta Cygni].
      Also known as Minkowski's Footprint)

      Pallas

      *Facies (M-22 Sagittarii)

      *Alpha Scuti

      *Cerberus (109 Herculis, marks the obsolete constellation Cerberus,
      the Guard Dog of Hades, which Hercules is sometimes depicted as holding)

      Juno

      *Bellatrix (Gamma Orionis)

      *Capella (Alpha Aurigae)

      *Phact (Alpha Columbae)

      *Mintaka (Delta Orionis)

      *Beta Camelopardalis

      *Thabit (Upsilon Orionis)

      *Arneb (Alpha Leporis)

      *Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405 Aurigae)

      Vesta

      Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris)

      Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris)

      Integral Sign (Uppsala 3697 Camelopardalis)

      Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)

      Chiron

      Youe (Psi Capricorni)

      *Black Widow Pulsar (B1957+20 Sagittae)

      Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)

      Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450+2922 Cygni)

      South Node

      Zaniah (Eta Virginis)

      Edasich (Iota Draconis)

      Tureis (Iota Carinae)

      Al Dhibah (Zeta Draconis, also known as Nodus I)

      Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)

      Lost Galaxy (NGC 4526 Virginis)

      Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis)

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2006

        > As of noon CST.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments that didn't exist at this time last
        week
        > (with a 1 00' orb)
        >

        > Jupiter
        >
        > Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)
        >
        > Nu Librae
        >
        > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; marks the obsolete constellation Solitarius,
        > the Solitaire [bird])
        >
        > Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)
        >

        > Saturn
        >
        > Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation
        > Officina Typographica, the Printing Office)
        >
        > *Altarf (Beta Cancri)

        In one of the Crab's feet. The name comes from the Arabic for "the
        glance" (Anne Wright says Allen says "the end").

        > Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)
        >

        > Uranus
        >
        > *Satabishaj (Lambda Aquarii)

        in the stream of water pouring from Aquarius' jug; also known as
        Ekchusis ("the outpouring")

        > Scovil's Object
        >

        > Neptune
        >
        > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        >
        > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        >
        > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
        >

        > Pluto
        >
        > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        >
        > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        >
        > *RS Ophiuchi
        >
        > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        >
        > Galactic Center
        >
        > *Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

        in a box? in the box? a pine box? boxed in? to box?

        (three men have been arrested in connection with the church fires in
        Alabama)

        ?

        > Ceres
        >
        > *Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
        >
        > *Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
        >
        > *Alshain (Beta Aquilae)
        >
        > *Dumbbell Nebula (M-27 Vulpeculae)
        >
        > *Shelton's Star (Supernova 1987A Doradus)

        I have "altruism = subversion" for this one.

        > *Footprint Nebula (Minkowski 1-92 Cygni; near Albireo [Beta Cygni].
        > Also known as Minkowski's Footprint)

        Dana Reeve, Christopher Reeve's widow and a prominent advocate for
        stem-cell research, has died, of lung cancer. The media emphasize
        that she did not smoke.

        (People with lung cancer, like people with HIV/AIDS, all too often
        have others think they had it coming, especially if they smoke or
        smoked in the past.)

        > Pallas
        >
        > *Facies (M-22 Sagittarii)
        >
        > *Alpha Scuti

        to shield, to protect

        (the UAE port-management controversy?)

        > *Cerberus (109 Herculis, marks the obsolete constellation Cerberus,
        > the Guard Dog of Hades, which Hercules is sometimes depicted as
        holding)

        whatever (or whoever) goes in doesn't come out

        > Juno
        >
        > *Bellatrix (Gamma Orionis)
        >
        > *Capella (Alpha Aurigae)
        >
        > *Phact (Alpha Columbae)
        >
        > *Mintaka (Delta Orionis)
        >
        > *Beta Camelopardalis

        underneath the Giraffe's belly (pissed upon? escaping a bad
        situation, as Odysseus and his men escaped Polyphemus' cave?)

        > *Thabit (Upsilon Orionis)

        I think this is in Orion the Hunter's chest.

        An uproar over a Nation of Islam member appointed to the Illinois
        hate-crimes board by Governor Rod Blagojevich.

        Accusations of terrorism against an Iranian-American man who
        deliberately drove an SUV into a crowd of students at the University
        of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

        The Archbishop of Canterbury has made a statement condemning Bush's
        prison at Guant`anamo Bay.

        Five Vermont towns which have government by town meeting have voted
        to ask the state's US representative to file articles of impeachment
        against Bush.

        A 12th-grade politics and government class at a Parsippany, New
        Jersey high school is holding a mock war-crimes trial of Bush, and
        an Aurora, Colorado high-school geography teacher has been put on
        leave amid reports that he compared Bush to Hitler in class; both
        incidents have generated an uproar, mainly from the political right.

        *Brokeback Mountain* didn't win as big at the Oscars as hoped
        (although it did win Best Director for Ang Lee, Best Adapted
        Screenplay for Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry--who wrote the
        screenplay from Annie Proulx's short story--and Best Music Score for
        Gustavo Santaolalla). Some see homophobia in these decisions.

        > *Arneb (Alpha Leporis)

        the draconian South Dakota abortion law?

        > *Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405 Aurigae)

        sudden celebrity? finding oneself in the eye of a storm?

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12, 2006
          As of noon CST.

          Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today
          (orbs <= 1 00').

          Jupiter

          Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)

          Nu Librae

          Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in Hydra the Sea-Monster's tail, also marks the
          obsolete constellation Solitarius, the Solitaire [bird])

          Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)

          Saturn

          Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation
          Officina Typographica, the Printing Office)

          *Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)

          Altarf (Beta Cancri)

          Uranus

          Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii; aka Satabishaj)

          *Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri; as its name suggests, it marks the head
          of Hydrus the Water-Snake--where its fangs are)

          Scovil's Object (in Cygnus, doesn't seem to have a catalog number)

          Neptune

          Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

          Pluto

          Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

          Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

          RS Ophiuchi

          Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

          Galactic Center

          Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

          Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

          Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)

          Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

          Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

          Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

          Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad, in
          the globular cluster Terzan 5)

          Ceres

          *Bos (Rho Capricorni)

          *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)

          *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

          *Alshat (Nu Capricorni)

          *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

          *Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)

          Juno

          *Al Hecka (Zeta Corvi)

          *Alnilam (Epsilon Orionis)

          *Alnitak (Zeta Orionis)

          *Tien Kuan (Zeta Tauri)

          *Meissa (Lambda Orionis)

          *Crab Nebula (M-1 Tauri, a supernova remnant and deep-space radio source)

          (I have "behind the eight-ball" for this one)

          *Flame Nebula (NGC 2024 Orionis, a diffuse nebula around Alnitak in
          Orion's belt)

          *Horsehead Nebula (IC 434 Orionis, a nebula south of Mintaka [Delta
          Orionis])

          Vesta

          *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)

          Integral Sign (Uppsala 3697 Camelopardalis)

          Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)

          Chiron

          Youe (Psi Capricorni)

          *Globus (Gamma Microscopii; in Microscopium the Microscope; also marks
          the obsolete constellation Globus Aerostatica [the Hot-Air Balloon])

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2006

            > > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

            Some quotations from William Makepeace Thackeray:

            http://www.bartleby.com/100/464.html

            "Suppose in a game of life - and it is but a twopenny game after
            all - you are equally eager of winning. Shall you be ashamed of your
            ambition, or glory in it?" (*Autour de mon Chapeau*, 1863)

            "He who meanly admires mean things is a Snob." (*The Book of Snobs*,
            1848)

            > > Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-
            2446ad,
            > in
            > > the globular cluster Terzan 5)

            Anybody have any ideas about this one?

            > > Chiron
            > >

            > > *Black Widow Pulsar (B1957+20 Sagittae)

            There's a trial going on in California of a woman accused of
            murdering her husband, a psychiatrist who seduced her when she was a
            teenager and her patient.

            Unethical, unethical...

            Maybe more later.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 15, 2006

              > As of noon CST.
              >
              > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago [March
              12]
              > (orbs <= 1 00').
              >

              > Jupiter
              >
              > Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)
              >
              > Nu Librae
              >
              > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in Hydra the Sea-Monster's tail, also marks
              the
              > obsolete constellation Solitarius, the Solitaire [bird])
              >
              > Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)
              >

              > Saturn
              >
              > Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation
              > Officina Typographica, the Printing Office)
              >
              > *Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)

              It looks as though this is in one of the Great Bear's hind paws. Not
              a forepaw, which it could use to strike a blow, but a back paw,
              which it could use to climb a tree, stand upright, or make tracks
              (walk).

              > Altarf (Beta Cancri)
              >

              > Uranus
              >
              > Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii; aka Satabishaj)
              >
              > *Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri; as its name suggests, it marks the
              head
              > of Hydrus the Water-Snake--where its fangs are)

              Some Arabs feel betrayed over the failed Dubai port-management deal.

              > Scovil's Object (in Cygnus, doesn't seem to have a catalog number)
              >

              > Neptune
              >
              > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
              >

              > Pluto
              >
              > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
              >
              > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
              >
              > RS Ophiuchi
              >
              > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
              >
              > Galactic Center
              >
              > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
              >
              > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
              >
              > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
              >
              > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)
              >
              > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
              >
              > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
              >
              > Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad,
              in
              > the globular cluster Terzan 5)
              >

              > Ceres
              >
              > *Bos (Rho Capricorni)
              >
              > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)

              Cutting right through to something, or maybe cutting something off
              (the death of Slobodan Milosevic has ended the legal case against
              him).

              > *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

              I think this would be where one holds the Harp, toward the top.

              > *Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
              >
              > *Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

              A four-leaf clover (luck, a talisman), a shamrock (something Irish;
              St. Patrick's Day is Friday); a highway interchange (crossroads).

              > *Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)
              >

              > Juno
              >
              > *Al Hecka (Zeta Corvi)

              Mislabeled; this is Zeta Tauri. See below.

              > *Alnilam (Epsilon Orionis)

              "It gives fleeting public honors." (Robson)

              The game-show host, Peter what's his name, who died along with his
              wife when their plane crashed off Santa Monica?

              > *Alnitak (Zeta Orionis)

              From the Arabic for "the belt."

              "Strength, energy, industry, organizing abilities, notoriety, good
              fortune, lasting happiness, a sharp mind and a good memory." (Robson)

              ...grass-roots movements, for and against abortion, stem-cell
              research, the impeachment of Bush...

              > *Tien Kuan (Zeta Tauri)

              Also known as Al Hecka. It marks the southern horn of the Bull.

              "It gives violence, male violence and danger of accidents." (Robson)

              Anne Wright also mentions something about "taking the bull by the
              horns."

              > *Meissa (Lambda Orionis)

              In Orion's head; name comes from the Arabic for "the shining one"
              or "the white spot."

              > *Crab Nebula (M-1 Tauri, a supernova remnant and deep-space radio
              source)

              > (I have "behind the eight-ball" for this one)
              >
              > *Flame Nebula (NGC 2024 Orionis, a diffuse nebula around Alnitak in
              > Orion's belt)

              burning for something?

              "General influence of the Cingula Orionis (Orion's Belt): The joint
              influence is to give strength, energy, industry, organizing
              abilities, notoriety, good fortune, lasting happiness, a sharp mind
              and a good memory." (Robson)

              "'Passionately devoted to hunting, but not noble hunting with falcon
              or bow.' Excellent fishermen. Treacherous. All kinds of dangers.
              Irreligious. In a female chart - if rising and aspected by both Mars
              and a benefic - a shrew." (Noonan)

              > *Horsehead Nebula (IC 434 Orionis, a nebula south of Mintaka [Delta
              > Orionis])

              "straight from the horse's mouth"

              (Saddam Hussein testifies in his trial, uttering more political
              rants, and the judge shuts off the cameras)

              > Vesta
              >
              > *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)

              Gives eminence in art, but liability to accidents involving the
              feet, according to Robson.

              > Integral Sign (Uppsala 3697 Camelopardalis)
              >
              > Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)

              The themes of gain through responsibility (Rosette Nebula) and
              respecting personal space (the Integral Sign Galaxy) continue.

              The cartoon controversy hasn't gone away and Iran is talking
              belligerent about its nuclear program.

              > Chiron
              >
              > Youe (Psi Capricorni)
              >
              > *Globus (Gamma Microscopii; in Microscopium the Microscope; also
              marks
              > the obsolete constellation Globus Aerostatica [the Hot-Air
              Balloon])

              Lots of hot air?

              None of the numerous resolutions calling for Bush's impeachment have
              been made by anyone in a position to do it (e.g., San Francisco and
              several other cities in California and Vermont). And when Wisconsin
              Senator Russ Feingold introduced a resolution to censure Bush...he
              couldn't even get much support from the other Senate Democrats.

              For *censure.* For things Bush has done that would have gotten Nixon
              *impeachment*, and removal from office, if he hadn't resigned.

              > Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)
              >
              > Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450+2922 Cygni)

              rape in the news in Italy and Pakistan

              > South Node
              >
              > Zaniah (Eta Virginis)

              falling back on being nice, being used to civilized or refined
              behavior?

              > Edasich (Iota Draconis)
              >
              > Tureis (Iota Carinae)

              like a name brand

              > Al Dhibah (Zeta Draconis, also known as Nodus I)
              >
              > Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)

              An Army dog handler is being tried for using his dog to terrorize
              Abu Ghraib inmates, and the tawdry case of the death of Pat Tillman
              is back in the news.

              > Lost Galaxy (NGC 4526 Virginis)

              something lost

              > Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis)

              Two people or things joined together so that one has to come along
              with the other on everything (who? or what?)

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 22, 2006

                > > As of noon CST.
                > >
                > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there [March
                > 12]
                > > (orbs <= 1 00').

                > > Pluto
                > >

                > > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

                (1) If you thought you had a chance to win at something, would you
                go for it? (Portia Simpson-Miller, Tammy Duckworth: Yes.)

                (2) Public personae can be tiresome to wear. (George W. Bush?
                Kathleen Blanco? She generally does her venting in private, unlike
                Ray Nagin.)