star name confusion

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2006
      star name confusion

      --- oparhi <eh7706@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Noticed today the following: Later today Jupiter at
      > 18.52 Scorpio
      > stations to retrograde motion for four months ahead until July 6th
      > when it stations direct again. Some positions at the
      > chart:

      > Jupiter is in rise, upper and set with Zuben Hakrabi, a star of Libra,
      > the Scales (Graffias), that resides at the tip of the northern scale.
      > So what could that mean, anything on Zuben Hakrabi?
      > Something to do
      > with that then, got interested.

      Graffias is Beta1 Scorpii in the Scorpion's head; it is not in Libra.

      Subenhakrabi is derived from Zuben al Akrab, the Scorpion's Claw, and is
      simply a variant of the name of Alpha Librae - Zubenelgenubi.

      A lot of the confusion comes from the Scales having originally been the extended
      claws of a greater Scorpion, so even though the stars are in the Scales, they carry
      the old "claw" names.

      According to Allen, Eta Librae (now 27.5 Scorpio) was called Zubenhakrabi in error by Burritt (1835), and that mistake was carried forward by others following him.

      Allen says Zubenhakrabi belongs to Gamma Scorpii, but this causes even more confusion,
      because this star's constellation is disputed - Gamma Scorpii is sometimes called Sigma Librae, and Robert Brown Jr, in the late 19th century, said it was a star of the ancient Akkadian Entena-mas-luv, the Tail-Tip (of Hydra)!

      Mark wrote:

      There's some confusion attached to the name Zubenalhakrabi and its variants. Diana (Rosenberg) gives that name to Sigma Librae, which is around 20 Scorpio.

      This is how I have it in my book:

      Zubenhakrabi Sigma (20) Librae  S Scale 20SC41  - 7 39  -25 12  15 04   3.29    M4 III
       (Gamma Scorpii); this star's constellation is disputed; in Akkad it was Entena-mas-luv, tail-tip of Hydra

      (the position is for 2000; for 2006, add 5 minutes)

      I think you're talking about Nu Librae, which doesn't have a proper name. It seems to me that that might have something to do with "the scales not balancing."

      Yes. And that's an interesting take on it.

      In my book I include Nu Librae in the set with Beta; here is that segment from my
      workbook (position is 1980; for 2005 add 21 minutes)

      Zubeneschemali  Beta Librae  North Scale        19SC06  8 30    - 9 19  15 16   2.61    B8 V

      Courageous, willing to champion difficult or unpopular causes. Victimize others, are moved by victimization of others, or are themselves victims. Some are elitist, some suffer from elitism. High ideals, but may have problems living up to them. Charismatic - must take responsibility for the people who follow them. Justice, slavery, freedom, human rights, inclusion/exclusion, war/peace issues, especially related to race, religion, politics. Law, chemistry, mathematics, astronomy, occult; authors, dancers, theater artists. Storms, shipwreck, murder, assassination but also peace treaties

      Here's a chunk of that section from my book:

       Serpens-of-temptation and half-beast Centaurus lure some into dishonesty, intemperance and excessive self-indulgence. Most have high ideals, but will encounter challenges and problems living up to them. Under the Northern Crown, they are usually beneficent but may be elitist, or suffer from elitism. Honesty is an issue, corruption a danger; they are charismatic, and must take responsibility for those who follow them. Very concerned with doing the right thing but sensitive, bitter and deeply angry about injustice, there may be great inner tension and a battle with brooding, depression and despair, but always with the regenerative, renewing potential of the healing Serpent. There is an interest in food preservation, and the ascending heliocentric nodes of Mercury and Mars bring in flight and space exploration. Challenges include both intolerance and the battle against bigotry, intemperance, greed, a concern for social justice, issues of bondage or freedom, persecution and victimization, equal rights for all vs exclusion, partiality, parochialism, elitism, and choosing whether to wallow in hatred and resentments or to reach for a high level of love, service, working to establish and maintain peace and justice. Here the Scales work to balance out turbulent inner conflicts, while the renewing, regenerating Serpent heals all wounds; balance, self-discipline and good judgment are the keys. Addiction, suffocation, asphyxiation, eye and hearing  problems; caesarian births; contamination, danger of accidents, stalking, murder; Storms, fog, shipwrecks, air crashes, fires, eruptions, destruction, epidemics, earth upheavals, environmental contamination, assassination, intense, destructive intolerance, mass deaths of people and animals, animal attacks (especially snakes), meteorite falls; peace treaties, judicial issues, actions for the establishment of health, justice, peace, and human rights; religious events, transformations, miracles.

      The "intense destructive intolerance" is certainly going on now - Jupiter is the planet of organized, i.e. established
      religions, and they are all at each other's throats!  Let's hope a miracle turns up!

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://pw1.netcom.com/~ye-stars/

    • oparhi
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2006
        Hi,

        > This is how I have it in my book:
        > Zubenhakrabi Sigma (20) Librae S Scale
        20SC41 - 7 39 -25 12 15 04 3.29 M4 III (Gamma Scorpii); this star's
        constellation is disputed; ...

        Thanks Diana. There was some confusion in this. Bernadette says in her
        book "sometimes called Graffias" (I have only that book here) so it
        was good to know more on it and the history.

        > In my book I include Nu Librae in the set with Beta; here is that
        segment from my workbook (position is 1980; for 2005 add 21 minutes)>
        Zubeneschemali Beta Librae North Scale
        19SC06 8 30 - 9 19 1516 2.61 B8 V

        Okay, I'll look at the interpretation of Zuben Elchemali for it .

        OP

        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg"

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2006
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg"

          > The "intense destructive intolerance" is certainly going on now -
          Jupiter is the planet of organized, i.e. established religions, and
          they are all at each other's throats! Let's hope a miracle turns up!

          Yes that's right. One just has to read the headlines from news
          concerning Iraq war, Middle East and terrorism.
          Another BBC news: Iran nuclear stand-off. The International Atomic
          Energy Agency IAEA reached the decision at a meeting in Vienna on 4
          February.