Unusual deep-space gamma-ray nova

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      I'm thinking that since it's gamma rays (shorter wavelengths than
      visible light), there might be some spiritual influence here. I don't
      know what it might be, yet.

      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11528523/

      Story below. (Links do expire.)

      Mark A. Holmes

      Begin story.---

      Odd cosmic blast puzzles astronomers

      Updated: 6:59 p.m. ET Feb. 23, 2006

      WASHINGTON - A new kind of cosmic explosion has been spotted in
      Earth's celestial neighborhood, and amateur astronomers in the
      Northern Hemisphere might be able to see it next week, scientists
      reported Thursday.

      The blast seemed a lot like a gamma-ray burst, the most distant and
      powerful type of explosion known to astronomers.

      But when scientists first detected it with NASA's Swift satellite on
      Feb. 18, the explosion was about 25 times closer and lasted 100 times
      longer than a typical gamma-ray burst.

      "This is totally new, totally unexpected," said Neil Gehrels, Swift's
      principal investigator. "This is the type of unscripted event in our
      nearby universe that we hoped Swift could catch."

      The explosion originated in a star-forming galaxy about 440 million
      light-years away toward the constellation Aries the Ram. A light-year
      is about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion kilometers), the distance light
      travels in a year.

      This would be the second-closest gamma-ray burst ever detected, if
      indeed it is one.

      The burst lasted for nearly 2,000 seconds, or about 33 minutes,
      astronomers said in a statement. Most bursts last a few milliseconds
      to tens of seconds. It also was surprisingly dim.

      Scientists at Italy's National Institute for Astrophysics found hints
      of a budding supernova — an exploding star — when they saw the
      afterglow from the original explosion grow brighter in optical light.

      If it is a supernova, scientists will have an unprecedented view of
      one from start to finish.

      Scientists will attempt observations with the Hubble Space Telescope
      and Chandra X-ray Observatory. Amateur astronomers with dark skies
      above might be able to see the explosion with a 16-inch telescope.

      More information and images are available online from NASA's Swift Web
      site.

      [

      http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/swift/bursts/oddball_burst.html

      ]