New Comet and Fixed Stars

  • Angie Biggerstaff
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
      NEW COMET: A new comet  is emerging in the morning sky. Comet Pojmanski has been brightening since its  discovery in January and can now be found just east of Venus before  sunrise.  The best way to see the comet is through binoculars or a small  telescope: It looks like a fuzzy 5th-magnitude star with a small tail.

      Visit http://Spaceweather.com for sky maps and more  information.
      Ok, about comet Pojmanski orbit and the fixed stars he will cross in his way:

      According to
      http://spaceweather.com/images2006/28feb06/skymap_north.gif
      he is very close to venus and stars dabih and giedi
      (Beta and delta of capricornius) around february 28. I
      am counting this conjunction as both RA and
      declination, in the gif figure is saying algedi, but
      in Janus I got this is the position most closely to
      giedi. Another star of similar name Deneb Adige,
      declination of 45north, will be somewhat close in
      march.

      Dabih - venus saturn
      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Dabih.html
      giedi - venus mars
      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/GiediPrima.html
      adige - venus mercury
      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/DenebAdige.html

      You can also see the comet crossing the constelation
      of capricorn (around 4 Aquarius in tropìcal zodiac) in
      http://www.astronomia.netfirms.com/map_6a1_5sfebr.jpg
      . He is traveling quickly towards north, so when he
      cross Formahault (decl 29s) he will be 52n, and when
      he cross Scheat (d: 28n) he will be 54n, very far away
      I think. The same is valid to Markab. They all be
      crossed if you are only concern with the projection in
      the ecliptic.

      You can also see in
      http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/2006A1/2006A1.html
      that the comet already come near constelation of
      sagitarius, then crossed capricorn, and will go his
      way, but I am not sure about the correct name or lore
      of this constelations.

      The comet seens really venusian by this conjunctions
      with fixed stars and venus itself: but there is also
      the fact that he is growing in light fast, which for
      me is of the nature of venus:

      "Preliminary predictions indicated that the comet
      would dutifully brighten as it approached the Sun. At
      perihelion, the most optimistic forecasts had Comet
      Pojmanski attaining a magnitude of +6.5 (generally
      considered the threshold of naked-eye visibility).
      The comet had other plans, however, and has been
      increasing in brightness at a much faster pace.

       On Feb. 7, Andrew Pearce, observing from Nedlands in
      Western Australia, caught the comet already shining at
      magnitude +6.4. "This comet appears to be brightening
      rapidly," noted Mr. Pearce, adding that a faint tail
      was also becoming visible.  Twelve days later, the
      comet had brightened nearly a full magnitude,
      according to Mr. Pearce, reaching +5.4.  On February
      20, Luis Mansilla at the Canopus Observatory in
      Rosario, Argentina was able to see the comet in 7x50
      binoculars despite interference from the Moon and haze
      near the horizon.  He estimated its brightness at
      +5.3.  "
      (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/060224_night_sky.html)
      According to Ramesay's Astrologia Munda (thanks to Jacky for making this
      available to everyone) a Lunar eclipse in the 3rd face of Virgo brings
      deadly diseases. For comets he goes on to write that ~If a comet appears in
      the Ascendant of any town, Kingdom, City, Family, or in the Ascendant of the
      Revolution of the World, it signifies destruction of the things signified by
      the Ascendant and the sign thereof; and if it appear in the sign of the MC
      at the time of any of these it brings danger to such as are promoted to
      honour.

      In Capricorn, war amongst Kings and Nobles, many calamities and misfortunes,
      contempt of Religion, bad winter weather and it also threatens Famine,
      Pestilence and the like.

      In Aquarius, wars and slaughters, death of some honourable and eminent
      Prince or Lady ins the Eastern Parts (Ramesay thinks it should be Western),
      war for a long time, Epidemical diseases, an obscuration of the air,
      Pestilence, death of both illustrious men as well as the common people.

      There's plenty going on in the world to choose from, (bird flu, Iraq, Sharon
      are some) perhaps what and where if only we knew where the comet would be on
      the 14th of March.

      Angie and Yuzuru

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
        Can you tell us what has been determined about the
        influence of this comet?

        Mark A. Holmes

        --- Angie Biggerstaff <suninscorpio2@...>