Re: [thefixedstars] Re: Something about the Pleiades

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2006
      --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

      > wont let you view without becoming a member,. MissB

      I'll post it edited, then.

      Edited post begins.

      The Pleiades were used as an "eye test" by many
      cultures before light pollution
      ruined it all. From Wikipedia:

      "It was common among the indigenous peoples of the
      Americas to measure
      keenness of vision by the number of stars the viewer
      could see in the Pleiades,
      a practice which was also used in historical Europe,
      especially in Greece."

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades_%28star_cluster%29

      Note that even the character for the Pleiades is
      included in this entry,
      although it is called Kabalistic.

      http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/pleiades/

      And the Pleiades were used to predict weather.
      Moisture high in the atmosphere
      would obscure or make hazy the star cluster. Here is
      an article on the people of
      the Andes using the Pleiades just this way.

      http://www.space.com/news/space_potatoes_000105.html

      [...]

      Pleiades comes from the Greek verb meaning "to
      sail" , and were called "the
      sailing ones" so these stars are connected to sailors.

      [...]

      Pleiades also is comes from Peleiades or doves.
      These sisters, who were
      consorts of Artemis, were turned into doves to escape
      the unwanted attentions of
      Orion. It was also believed that the soul turned into
      a dove when it left the
      body.

      http://www.shamanicastrology.com/articles09.htm

      [...]

      One of the Pleiades, the beautiful Maia, through
      the attentions of
      Zeus/Jupiter, gave birth to Hermes/Mercury.

      [...]

      Edited post ends.