Fixed star alignments (February 12, 2005)

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
      As of noon CST.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today; orb
      for all alignments is 1 00'.

      Jupiter

      Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the obsolete
      constellation Solitarius [the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush])

      *Nu Librae

      Saturn

      Praesepe (M-44 Cancri)

      Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)

      *Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)

      Uranus

      Skat (Delta Aquarii)

      Situla (Kappa Aquarii)

      North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

      Neptune

      Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

      Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

      Pluto

      Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

      Alpha Mensae

      Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)

      Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

      Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

      Galactic Center

      Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar)

      Ceres

      *Terebellum (Omega Sagittarii)

      *Al Thalamain I (Iota Aquilae)

      *Barnard's Galaxy (NGC 6822 Sagittarii)

      *Little Gem Nebula (NGC 6818 Sagittarii)

      Pallas

      *Spiculum (M20 Sagittarii [the Trifid Nebula], M21 Sagittarii, and M8
      Sagittarii [the Lagoon Nebula])

      (I have "repudiation" for the Lagoon Nebula and "attainment" for the
      Trifid Nebula; Robson says Ptolemy says Spiculum is "productive of
      blindness.")

      *Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)

      *Ramo (95 Herculis; marks the obsolete constellation Ramo [the
      Branch], a branch sometimes depicted as being held by Hercules)

      *Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete constellation Taurus
      Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull])

      *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

      *Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy near the south
      celestial pole which gets its name from the fact that it's even closer
      to that than Polaris Australis)

      *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

      Juno

      *Cursa (Beta Eridani)

      *Hassaleh (Iota Aurigae)

      Witch Head Nebula (IC 2118 Eridani)

      Vesta

      *Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris)

      *Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris)

      Integral Sign (UGC 3697 Camelopardalis)

      Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)

      Chiron

      Bos (Rho Capricorni)

      Oculus (Pi Capricorni)

      Alshat (Nu Capricorni)

      *Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)

      (I have "transformation, suffering, endurance" for this one)

      South Node

      *Zaniah (Eta Virginis)

      Tureis (Iota Carinae)

      Edasich (Iota Draconis)

      Lost Galaxy (NGC 4526 Virginis)

      *Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)

      *Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis, a pair of galaxies)

      More later.

      Happy Darwin Day!

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 16, 2006

        > As of noon CST.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today; orb
        > for all alignments is 1 00'.
        >

        > Jupiter
        >
        > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the obsolete
        > constellation Solitarius [the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush])
        >
        > *Nu Librae
        >

        > Saturn
        >
        > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri)
        >
        > Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > *Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)
        >

        > Uranus
        >
        > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
        >
        > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
        >
        > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)
        >

        > Neptune
        >
        > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        >
        > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        >

        > Pluto
        >
        > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        >
        > Alpha Mensae
        >
        > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        >
        > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        >
        > Galactic Center
        >
        > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar)
        >

        > Ceres
        >
        > *Terebellum (Omega Sagittarii)

        "It gives a fortune but with regret and disgrace, cunning, a mercenary
        nature and repulsiveness." (Robson)

        (Google, Yahoo and Microsoft essentially aiding repression in China?)

        I heard somewhere that this star is linked to anti-Semitism (the
        Iranian government's plans for Holocaust-related cartoons?)

        > *Al Thalamain I (Iota Aquilae)
        >
        > *Barnard's Galaxy (NGC 6822 Sagittarii)
        >
        > *Little Gem Nebula (NGC 6818 Sagittarii)
        >

        > Pallas
        >
        > *Spiculum (M20 Sagittarii [the Trifid Nebula], M21 Sagittarii, and M8
        > Sagittarii [the Lagoon Nebula])
        >
        > (I have "repudiation" for the Lagoon Nebula and "attainment" for the
        > Trifid Nebula; Robson says Ptolemy says Spiculum is "productive of
        > blindness.")
        >
        > *Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)

        Pertaining to signs that one has to read in order to navigate a situation?

        > *Ramo (95 Herculis; marks the obsolete constellation Ramo [the
        > Branch], a branch sometimes depicted as being held by Hercules)

        a branch, or a club

        > *Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete constellation Taurus
        > Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull])

        Taurus Poniatovii: "It is said to give obstinacy and changeability,
        emotion, honor and renown." (Robson)

        > *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
        >
        > *Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy near the south
        > celestial pole which gets its name from the fact that it's even closer
        > to that than Polaris Australis)

        "a truer landmark" (to follow southward? [i.e., down?])

        > *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

        like a poisonous spider?

        > Juno
        >
        > *Cursa (Beta Eridani)

        marking the source of the River Eridanus

        (getting to the source?)

        > *Hassaleh (Iota Aurigae)
        >
        > Witch Head Nebula (IC 2118 Eridani)
        >

        > Vesta
        >
        > *Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris)

        "the announcer"

        > *Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris)
        >
        > Integral Sign (UGC 3697 Camelopardalis)

        having to do with areas or boundaries

        > Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)
        >

        > Chiron
        >
        > Bos (Rho Capricorni)
        >
        > Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
        >
        > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
        >
        > *Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)
        >
        > (I have "transformation, suffering, endurance" for this one)
        >

        > South Node
        >
        > *Zaniah (Eta Virginis)
        >
        > Tureis (Iota Carinae)
        >
        > Edasich (Iota Draconis)
        >
        > Lost Galaxy (NGC 4526 Virginis)
        >
        > *Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)

        something or somebody given a black eye (Dick Cheney? The US with the
        new Abu Ghraib abuse photos)

        > *Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis, a pair of galaxies)

        people joined together (so to speak)?

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 18, 2006

          > > As of noon CST.
          > >
          > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago
          today; orb
          > > for all alignments is 1 00'.
          > >

          > > Jupiter
          > >
          > > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the
          obsolete
          > > constellation Solitarius [the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush])

          More marginalization/stigmatization of Islam in the West.

          > > *Nu Librae
          > >

          > > Saturn
          > >
          > > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri)
          > >
          > > Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
          > >
          > > *Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)

          This is located "above the stern" of the Ship Argo, where a flag
          would fly or a lookout would be posted.

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 18, 2006

            > > As of noon CST.
            > >
            > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today; orb
            > > for all alignments is 1 00'.
            > >

            > > Jupiter
            > >
            > > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the obsolete
            > > constellation Solitarius [the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush])
            > >
            > > *Nu Librae

            in the southern pan of the Scales (where the Scales don't balance)?

            From two women on the US Supreme Court, we now have one...thanks to Bush.

            Cartoons: as some Muslims have pointed out, when it's a derogatory
            caricature of a Jewish person, it's anti-Semitism; when it's dumping
            on Jesus, then it's blasphemy; when it's caricaturing Gautama Buddha,
            then it's religious and possibly racial bigotry...but when it's
            Mohammed that's being trashed, then it's free speech and Muslims are
            being hypersensitive. (I'm not advocating censorship, just
            responsibility.)

            > > Saturn
            > >
            > > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri)
            > >
            > > Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
            > >
            > > *Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)
            > >

            > > Uranus
            > >
            > > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
            > >
            > > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
            > >
            > > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)
            > >

            > > Neptune
            > >
            > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
            > >
            > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
            > >

            > > Pluto
            > >
            > > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
            > >
            > > Alpha Mensae
            > >
            > > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
            > >
            > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
            > >
            > > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
            > >
            > > Galactic Center
            > >
            > > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar)
            > >

            > > Ceres
            > >
            > > *Terebellum (Omega Sagittarii)
            >

            > "It gives a fortune but with regret and disgrace, cunning, a mercenary
            > nature and repulsiveness." (Robson)
            >
            > (Google, Yahoo and Microsoft essentially aiding repression in China?)
            >
            > I heard somewhere that this star is linked to anti-Semitism (the
            > Iranian government's plans for Holocaust-related cartoons?)
            >

            > > *Al Thalamain I (Iota Aquilae)

            One of "The Two Ostriches." Located off the tip of Aquila's (I think
            left) wing, I think this may also be in the obsolete constellation
            Antinous (the boy Aquila is carrying in its talons).

            (Unable to see when one is being victimized? [the domestic spying])

            > > *Barnard's Galaxy (NGC 6822 Sagittarii)
            > >
            > > *Little Gem Nebula (NGC 6818 Sagittarii)

            I think these two are both located around the top of Sagittarius' bow.

            (The parents of the stolen penguin chick in the Plymouth Zoo have
            hatched another chick. Maybe that's the Little Gem Nebula.)

            > > Pallas
            > >
            > > *Spiculum (M20 Sagittarii [the Trifid Nebula], M21 Sagittarii, and M8
            > > Sagittarii [the Lagoon Nebula])
            > >
            > > (I have "repudiation" for the Lagoon Nebula and "attainment" for the
            > > Trifid Nebula; Robson says Ptolemy says Spiculum is "productive of
            > > blindness.")
            > >
            > > *Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)
            >
            > Pertaining to signs that one has to read in order to navigate a
            situation?

            > > *Ramo (95 Herculis; marks the obsolete constellation Ramo [the
            > > Branch], a branch sometimes depicted as being held by Hercules)
            >
            > a branch, or a club

            to keep followers in line, to hold over someone's head

            > > *Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete constellation Taurus
            > > Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull])
            >
            > Taurus Poniatovii: "It is said to give obstinacy and changeability,
            > emotion, honor and renown." (Robson)

            The Winter Olympics in Turin?

            > > *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

            I think this is on the tip of the arrow Sagittarius has in his bow
            (Cupid's golden arrows, or leaden arrows? Maybe poison arrows?)

            > > *Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis, a galaxy near the south
            > > celestial pole which gets its name from the fact that it's even closer
            > > to that than Polaris Australis)
            >
            > "a truer landmark" (to follow southward? [i.e., down?])
            >

            > > *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
            >
            > like a poisonous spider?

            crawling in to bite (domestic spying?)

            > > Juno
            > >
            > > *Cursa (Beta Eridani)
            >
            > marking the source of the River Eridanus
            >
            > (getting to the source?)
            >

            > > *Hassaleh (Iota Aurigae)

            (social justice) hobbled?

            > > Witch Head Nebula (IC 2118 Eridani)
            > >

            > > Vesta
            > >
            > > *Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris)
            >
            > "the announcer"

            something may be happening, but may not

            (Stephen Harper up in Canada wanting to review the status of gay
            marriage there?)

            > > *Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris)

            "the bright individuals" or maybe "the apes"

            (The Bush White House has been called "the gang that can't shoot
            straight")

            > > Integral Sign (UGC 3697 Camelopardalis)
            >
            > having to do with areas or boundaries
            >

            > > Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)
            > >

            > > Chiron
            > >
            > > Bos (Rho Capricorni)
            > >
            > > Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
            > >
            > > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
            > >
            > > *Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)
            > >
            > > (I have "transformation, suffering, endurance" for this one)

            The deadly landslide in the Philippines?

            > > South Node
            > >
            > > *Zaniah (Eta Virginis)

            http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Zaniah.html

            Arabic for "the angle."

            "It gives refinement, honor, congeniality, order and a lovable
            nature." (Robson).

            "An attribute of Zaniah can be seen in the Mercury-Venus-in-Libra
            talent for negotiating peace. One attribute which a good commander (or
            salesman) must surely need is an intuition for knowing to call a halt
            to battle and either offer or seek terms for peace." (Eric Morse, *The
            Living Stars*)

            > > Tureis (Iota Carinae)
            > >
            > > Edasich (Iota Draconis)
            > >
            > > Lost Galaxy (NGC 4526 Virginis)
            > >
            > > *Black Eye Galaxy (M64 Comae Berenices)
            >
            > something or somebody given a black eye (Dick Cheney? The US with the
            > new Abu Ghraib abuse photos)
            >

            > > *Siamese Twins (NGC 4567 Virginis, a pair of galaxies)
            >

            > people joined together (so to speak)?

            Bush and Cheney? Hollywood couples (TomKat, et al)?

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 19, 2006
              As of noon EST.

              Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today; orb
              is 1 00'.

              Jupiter

              *Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)

              Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the obsolete
              constellation Solitarius [the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush])

              Nu Librae

              Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)

              Saturn

              *Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis. I think this is in the Unicorn's
              hindquarters, and that it also marks the obsolete constellation
              Officina Typographica [the Printing Press])

              Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)

              Uranus

              Situla (Kappa Aquarii)

              North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

              *Scovil's Object (in Cygnus)

              Magic Carpet Nebula (NGC 7027 Cygni, also known as the Green Rectangle)

              Neptune

              Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

              Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

              Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

              Pluto

              Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

              Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

              Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)

              Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

              Galactic Center

              *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

              Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)

              Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

              http://ad.usno.navy.mil/pne/images/h3_1475.gif

              Ceres

              Barnard's Galaxy (NGC 6822 Sagittarii)

              Little Gem Nebula (NGC 6818 Sagittarii)

              Bull's Eye Pulsar (SNR G54.1+0.3 Sagittae)

              Pallas

              *Polis (Mu Sagittarii)

              *Kaus Medius (Delta Sagittarii)

              DQ Herculis (a nova-type variable which reached first magnitude in 1934)

              Eagle Nebula (M-16 Serpentis; in Serpens Cauda)

              Emerald Nebula (NGC 6572 Ophiuchi)

              Little Star Cloud (M-24 Sagittarii)

              Juno

              *Rigel (Beta Orionis)

              Hasseleh (Iota Aurigae)

              Vesta

              Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris)

              Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris)

              Integral Sign (UGC 3697 Camelopardalis)

              Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)

              Chiron

              Bos (Rho Capricorni)

              Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)

              Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 19, 2006
                --- mahtezcatpoc <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

                > As of noon EST.

                That's CST. Excuse me.

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 19, 2006
                  yet when Jesus is being portrayed (and is quite often) in such a
                  derogatory fashion, you dont see christians running amok in the
                  streets and killing people. MissB

                  > > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "mahtezcatpoc"
                  > > <mahtezcatpoc@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > As of noon CST.
                  > > >
                  > > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago
                  today; orb
                  > > > for all alignments is 1 00'.
                  > > >

                  > > > Jupiter
                  > > >
                  > > > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the
                  obsolete
                  > > > constellation Solitarius [the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush])
                  > > >
                  > > > *Nu Librae
                  >
                  > in the southern pan of the Scales (where the Scales don't balance)?
                  >
                  > From two women on the US Supreme Court, we now have one...thanks to
                  Bush.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 19, 2006
                    --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

                    > yet when Jesus is being portrayed (and is quite
                    > often) in such a
                    > derogatory fashion, you dont see christians running
                    > amok in the
                    > streets and killing people. MissB

                    No, nor Muslims here, either. There have been
                    demonstrations, but it's been said that the ones who
                    are being violent have other reasons for their anger
                    (misery over the way they live) and this religious
                    stuff is just an excuse (notice where the violent
                    demonstrations are occurring--Pakistan, Afghanistan,
                    Iraq, Indonesia, Libya, Nigeria, Somalia; not much
                    violence in Europe, none here in the US, and none that
                    I know of in Australia). There's also the possibility
                    that some of this violence is being orchestrated or
                    encouraged by people with an anti-Western agenda (like
                    in Iran and Syria).

                    But, whatever...

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 19, 2006

                      > As of noon CST.

                      Additional alignments below.

                      (I've finished entering in a list of planetary nebulae that I'd
                      started on before Diana posted her black hole list and will start on
                      that as soon as I can. Some of those I've already got in my SolarFire
                      5 fixed-star menus.)

                      > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today; orb
                      > is 1 00'.
                      >

                      > Jupiter
                      >
                      > *Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)
                      >
                      > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the obsolete
                      > constellation Solitarius [the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush])
                      >
                      > Nu Librae
                      >
                      > Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)
                      >

                      > Saturn
                      >
                      > *Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis. I think this is in the Unicorn's
                      > hindquarters, and that it also marks the obsolete constellation
                      > Officina Typographica [the Printing Press])
                      >
                      > Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)
                      >

                      > Uranus
                      >
                      > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
                      >
                      > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)
                      >
                      > *Scovil's Object (in Cygnus)
                      >
                      > Magic Carpet Nebula (NGC 7027 Cygni, also known as the Green Rectangle)
                      >

                      > Neptune
                      >
                      > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
                      >
                      > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
                      >
                      > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
                      >

                      > Pluto
                      >
                      > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
                      >
                      > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
                      >
                      > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
                      >
                      > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
                      >
                      > Galactic Center
                      >
                      > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
                      >
                      > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
                      >
                      > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
                      >
                      > http://ad.usno.navy.mil/pne/images/h3_1475.gif

                      northeast of Polis (Mu Sagittarii), near the border with Scutum)

                      Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii; east of Kaus Borealis [Lambda
                      Sagittarii] and Spiculum, near the border with Ophiuchus)

                      > Ceres
                      >
                      > Barnard's Galaxy (NGC 6822 Sagittarii)
                      >
                      > Little Gem Nebula (NGC 6818 Sagittarii)
                      >
                      > Bull's Eye Pulsar (SNR G54.1+0.3 Sagittae)
                      >

                      > Pallas
                      >
                      > *Polis (Mu Sagittarii)
                      >
                      > *Kaus Medius (Delta Sagittarii)
                      >
                      > DQ Herculis (a nova-type variable which reached first magnitude in 1934)
                      >
                      > Eagle Nebula (M-16 Serpentis; in Serpens Cauda)
                      >
                      > Emerald Nebula (NGC 6572 Ophiuchi)
                      >
                      > Little Star Cloud (M-24 Sagittarii)

                      *Turquoise Orb (NGC 6572 Ophiuchi, between Kelb Alrai and Alya [Theta
                      Serpentis] near the border with Serpens Cauda, I think in the middle
                      of the obsolete Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull] constellation)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 19, 2006
                        http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/variablestars/article_1678_1.asp

                        "For first time in 21 years, the famous recurrent nova RS Ophiuchi has
                        erupted into naked-eye visibility. As late as February 10, 2006, the
                        star was still magnitude 11.0, where it spends most of its time with
                        only minor fluctuations. But on the morning of February 13th, there it
                        was shining at magnitude 4.8. The outburst was discovered at February
                        12.8 Universal Time by Kiyotaka Kanai and Hiroaki Narumi in Japan, who
                        estimated it to be magnitude 4.5 at the time.

                        "RS Oph is located in eastern Ophiuchus near Serpens Cauda...

                        [snip]

                        "...at right ascension 17h 50.2m, declination –6° 43' (equinox 2000.0)."

                        [That's 27 Sagittarius 33 (Tropical).--MAH]

                        "RS Ophiuchi, like other cataclysmic variable stars, is a close
                        binary. A red giant of spectral type M2 is spilling gas onto a small,
                        dense, blue companion star. The hot blue star erupted in 1898, 1933,
                        1958, 1967, and 1985, and it may also have had an outburst in 1945."...

                        [snip]

                        "Update February 17: In the last few days RS Oph has faded at a nearly
                        steady rate, losing about 0.4 magnitude per day according to visual
                        reports sent to the AAVSO. As of Friday morning (February 17.2 UT), RS
                        Oph was about magnitude 6.4. It has also been reddening somewhat, and
                        its spectrum shows a very strong red hydrogen-alpha emission line."

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 20, 2006
                          There was one occurance of violence a few months ago on the beach in
                          Australlia, but I dont recall if the muslims or the locals (surf
                          locals) started it. MissB

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 23, 2006

                            > As of noon EST.
                            >
                            > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago
                            [February 19]; orb
                            > is 1 00'.
                            >

                            > Jupiter
                            >
                            > *Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)

                            "Gives good fortune, high ambition, beneficence, honor, riches and
                            permanent happiness.

                            "With Jupiter: Philosophical mind, ecclesiastical or legal preferment,
                            able writer or speaker, influential friends." (Robson)

                            Bernadette has this to say on Zubenalschemali in *Brady's Book of
                            Fixed Stars*: "...it will show the more shadowy or material side of
                            social reform or justice."

                            > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the obsolete
                            > constellation Solitarius [the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush])
                            >
                            > Nu Librae
                            >
                            > Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)

                            "prove who you are" (like with a retina scan)(?)

                            (short-sightedness in foreign relations--like the seaport-management
                            flap going on in the US now?)

                            > Saturn
                            >
                            > *Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis. I think this is in the Unicorn's
                            > hindquarters, and that it also marks the obsolete constellation
                            > Officina Typographica [the Printing Press])

                            "Officina Typographica...It is said to give a keen and original mind,
                            and honor through literature and art." (Robson)

                            The Oscars coming up?

                            > Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)
                            >

                            > Uranus
                            >
                            > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
                            >
                            > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)
                            >
                            > *Scovil's Object (in Cygnus)
                            >
                            > Magic Carpet Nebula (NGC 7027 Cygni, also known as the Green Rectangle)

                            picked up and transported away to another world (of wealth?--the
                            Nebraska lottery winners?)

                            > Neptune
                            >
                            > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
                            >
                            > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
                            >
                            > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

                            Suggests a fairy dance or a Fifties death-rock song (boy picks up
                            hitchhiking girl who leaves her ring in the car and turns out to be dead)

                            > Pluto
                            >
                            > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
                            >
                            > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
                            >
                            > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
                            >
                            > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
                            >
                            > Galactic Center
                            >
                            > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

                            making a mountain out of a molehill?

                            > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
                            >
                            > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
                            >
                            > http://ad.usno.navy.mil/pne/images/h3_1475.gif

                            watering a garden (taking care of a project, nurturing it)(?)

                            > Ceres
                            >
                            > Barnard's Galaxy (NGC 6822 Sagittarii)

                            "barnyard" (where the chickens have a pecking order)(?) Christiaan
                            Barnard (trying to fix "broken" hearts? pioneering medical treatments)(?)

                            > Little Gem Nebula (NGC 6818 Sagittarii)
                            >
                            > Bull's Eye Pulsar (SNR G54.1+0.3 Sagittae)

                            "right on the money" (?) "bull's eye" (could refer to the shrine
                            bombing in Iraq)

                            > Pallas
                            >
                            > *Polis (Mu Sagittarii)
                            >
                            > *Kaus Medius (Delta Sagittarii)
                            >
                            > DQ Herculis (a nova-type variable which reached first magnitude in 1934)

                            sudden prominence (the meatpacking plant workers in Lincoln, Nebraska
                            who won big in the lottery [?])

                            > Eagle Nebula (M-16 Serpentis; in Serpens Cauda)

                            blindness (of the US government?)

                            > Emerald Nebula (NGC 6572 Ophiuchi)
                            >
                            > Little Star Cloud (M-24 Sagittarii)
                            >

                            > Juno
                            >
                            > *Rigel (Beta Orionis)

                            "It gives benevolence, honor, riches, happiness, glory, renown and
                            inventive or mechanical ability."(Robson)

                            "A continuous battle to retain an acquired position has to be waged."
                            (Ebertin)

                            "Rigel is the educator, the one who brings knowledge." (from SolarFire
                            5's Brady.fst star file)

                            > Hasseleh (Iota Aurigae)
                            >

                            > Vesta
                            >
                            > Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris)
                            >
                            > Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris)
                            >
                            > Integral Sign (UGC 3697 Camelopardalis)
                            >
                            > Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)
                            >

                            > Chiron
                            >
                            > Bos (Rho Capricorni)
                            >
                            > Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)
                            >
                            > Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

                            a four-leaf clover (good-luck charm)(?) A crossroads(?) Having to do
                            with Ireland (whose symbol is the shamrock or clover leaf)(?)

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 25, 2006

> [...]
                              > >
                              > > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
                              > >
                              > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
                              > >
                              > > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
                              > >
                              > > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
                              > >
                              > > Galactic Center
                              > >
                              > > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
                              >
                              > making a mountain out of a molehill?
                              >

                              > > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
                              > >
                              > > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
                              > >
                              > > http://ad.usno.navy.mil/pne/images/h3_1475.gif
                              >

                              > watering a garden (taking care of a project, nurturing it)(?)
                              >

                              > > Ceres
                              > >
                              > > Barnard's Galaxy (NGC 6822 Sagittarii)
                              >
                              > "barnyard" (where the chickens have a pecking order)(?) Christiaan
                              > Barnard (trying to fix "broken" hearts? pioneering medical
                              treatments)(?)

                              > > Little Gem Nebula (NGC 6818 Sagittarii)
                              > >
                              > > Bull's Eye Pulsar (SNR G54.1+0.3 Sagittae)
                              >
                              > "right on the money" (?) "bull's eye" (could refer to the shrine

                              "It gives success, high ambition, martial desires, horsemanship, keen
                              perception and domination." (Robson).

                              "Truthfulness." (Noonan).

                              > > *Kaus Medius (Delta Sagittarii)

                              http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/KausMedius.html

                              "Promoters of idealistic and humane ideas, promoters of mental
                              stimuli, enterprise and a sense of justice." (Ebertin).

                              "It conveys a sense of strength and flexibility combined and this
                              often shows up in the charts of people who can put force behind their
                              reasoning, yet be flexible." (Dr. Eric Morse)

                              > > DQ Herculis (a nova-type variable which reached first magnitude in
                              1934)

                              > sudden prominence (the meatpacking plant workers in Lincoln, Nebraska
                              > who won big in the lottery [?])
                              >

                              > > Eagle Nebula (M-16 Serpentis; in Serpens Cauda)
                              >
                              > blindness (of the US government?)
                              >

                              > > Emerald Nebula (NGC 6572 Ophiuchi)

                              things that are "green"(?)

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 26, 2006
                                As of noon CST.

                                Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.
                                Orbs are 1 00'.

                                Jupiter

                                Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)

                                Nu Librae

                                Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the obsolete
                                constellation Solitarius, the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush)

                                Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)

                                Saturn

                                Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis, marking the hindquarters of Monoceros
                                the Unicorn and the obsolete constellation Officina Typographica, the
                                Printing Press)

                                Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)

                                Uranus

                                Scovil's Object (in Cygnus)

                                Magic Carpet Nebula (NGC 7027 Cygni, also known as the Green Rectangle

                                Neptune

                                Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

                                Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

                                Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)

                                Pluto

                                Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)

                                Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

                                Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

                                Galactic Center

                                Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

                                Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)

                                Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

                                Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

                                *Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

                                *Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad, in
                                the globular cluster Terzan 5; a "millisecond pulsar" which is the
                                fastest known spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)

                                Ceres

                                *Albireo (Beta Cygni)

                                *Anser (Alpha Vulpeculae)

                                *Beta Hydri

                                *Tarazed (Gamma Aquilae)

                                *Aladfar (Eta Lyrae)

                                *Antinous (Eta Aquilae, in the obsolete constellation Antinous,
                                marking the head of the boy Antinous that Aquila the Eagle is
                                clutching in his talons)

                                *Sham (Alpha Sagittae)

                                Pallas

                                *Kaus Borealis (Lambda Sagittarii)

                                Juno

                                *Rigil Camelopardalis (7 Camelopardalis, marking one of the feet of
                                Camelopardalis the Giraffe)

                                *Almaaz (Epsilon Aurigae)

                                *Sadatoni (Zeta Aurigae, also known as Hoedus I; one of the Hoedi, or
                                Kids, along with Hoedus Secundus)

                                *Hoedus Secundus (Eta Aurigae, also known as Hoedus II)

                                *Nihal (Beta Leporis)

                                *Spirograph Nebula (IC 418 Leporis, also known as the Raspberry Nebula)

                                Vesta

                                Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris)

                                Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris)

                                Integral Sign (UGC [or Uppsala] 3697 Camelopardalis)

                                Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)

                                Chiron

                                *Youe (Psi Capricorni)

                                Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)

                                Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)

                                *Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450+2922 Cygni; west of Phi Cygni to the
                                left of Cygnus the Swan's head; named for its discoverer, amateur
                                astronomer Dana Patchick)

                                South Node

                                Zaniah (Eta Virginis)

                                Edasich (Iota Draconis)

                                Tureis (Iota Carinae)

                                *Al Dhibah (Zeta Draconis, also known as Nodus I)

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 26, 2006
                                  All this is, of course, as of noon CST on February 19, 2006. Not 2005.
                                  I must have been tired when I keyed in the title. Sorry about that.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 2, 2006

                                    > As of noon CST.
                                    >
                                    > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.
                                    > Orbs are 1 00'.
                                    >

                                    > Jupiter
                                    >
                                    > Zubenalschemali (Beta Librae)
                                    >
                                    > Nu Librae
                                    >
                                    > Solitarius (58 Hydrae; in the tail of Hydra, also marks the obsolete
                                    > constellation Solitarius, the Solitaire, or Solitary Thrush)
                                    >
                                    > Chain-Link Nebula (IC 4406 Lupi, also known as the Retina Nebula)
                                    >

                                    > Saturn
                                    >
                                    > Typographica (Zeta Monocerotis, marking the hindquarters of Monoceros
                                    > the Unicorn and the obsolete constellation Officina Typographica, the
                                    > Printing Press)
                                    >
                                    > Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)
                                    >

                                    > Uranus
                                    >
                                    > Scovil's Object (in Cygnus)
                                    >
                                    > Magic Carpet Nebula (NGC 7027 Cygni, also known as the Green Rectangle
                                    >

                                    > Neptune
                                    >
                                    > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
                                    >
                                    > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
                                    >
                                    > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148/5150 Gruis)
                                    >

                                    > Pluto
                                    >
                                    > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
                                    >
                                    > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
                                    >
                                    > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
                                    >
                                    > Galactic Center
                                    >
                                    > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
                                    >
                                    > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
                                    >
                                    > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
                                    >
                                    > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

                                    spinning a web (?)

                                    > *Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

                                    Would the work of William Thackeray shed some light on the meaning of
                                    this object, I wonder?

                                    > *Terzan 5ad (Terzan 5ad Sagittarii, also known as PSR J1748-2446ad, in
                                    > the globular cluster Terzan 5; a "millisecond pulsar" which is the
                                    > fastest known spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)
                                    >

                                    > Ceres
                                    >
                                    > *Albireo (Beta Cygni)
                                    >
                                    > *Anser (Alpha Vulpeculae)
                                    >
                                    > *Beta Hydri
                                    >
                                    > *Tarazed (Gamma Aquilae)
                                    >
                                    > *Aladfar (Eta Lyrae)

                                    marks one side of the Harp's frame (where one holds it if one is
                                    right-handed).

                                    (Playing someone or something like a harp?)

                                    > *Antinous (Eta Aquilae, in the obsolete constellation Antinous,
                                    > marking the head of the boy Antinous that Aquila the Eagle is
                                    > clutching in his talons)
                                    >
                                    > *Sham (Alpha Sagittae)

                                    There is a drive on in some US states to ban gays from adopting
                                    children. (Florida and Mississippi have already done it.)

                                    > Pallas
                                    >
                                    > *Kaus Borealis (Lambda Sagittarii)

                                    "Promoters of idealistic and humane ideas, promoters of mental
                                    stimuli, enterprise and a sense of justice." (Ebertin)

                                    "It conveys a sense of strength and flexibility combined and this
                                    often shows up in the chart of people who can put force behind their
                                    reasoning, yet be flexible." (Dr. Eric Morse)

                                    > Juno
                                    >
                                    > *Rigil Camelopardalis (7 Camelopardalis, marking one of the feet of
                                    > Camelopardalis the Giraffe)

                                    the kick of a giraffe can be deadly

                                    > *Almaaz (Epsilon Aurigae)
                                    >
                                    > *Sadatoni (Zeta Aurigae, also known as Hoedus I; one of the Hoedi, or
                                    > Kids, along with Hoedus Secundus)
                                    >
                                    > *Hoedus Secundus (Eta Aurigae, also known as Hoedus II)

                                    a storm, mischief (the USA PATRIOT act, the state of emergency in the
                                    Philippines?)

                                    > *Nihal (Beta Leporis)

                                    the abortion issue (like in South Dakota and Mississippi?)

                                    > *Spirograph Nebula (IC 418 Leporis, also known as the Raspberry Nebula)

                                    a downward spiral, giving a raspberry (?)

                                    > Vesta
                                    >
                                    > Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris)
                                    >
                                    > Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris)
                                    >
                                    > Integral Sign (UGC [or Uppsala] 3697 Camelopardalis)
                                    >
                                    > Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis)
                                    >

                                    > Chiron
                                    >
                                    > *Youe (Psi Capricorni)

                                    in one of the Goat's front knees (a goat on his knees?)

                                    (James Frey? Ray Nagin?)

                                    > Cloverleaf Nebula (IRAS 19477+2401 Vulpeculae)
                                    >
                                    > Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070 Doradus, aka 30 Doradus)
                                    >
                                    > *Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450+2922 Cygni; west of Phi Cygni to the
                                    > left of Cygnus the Swan's head; named for its discoverer, amateur
                                    > astronomer Dana Patchick)

                                    "pet chick" (condescending to women?)

                                    > South Node
                                    >
                                    > Zaniah (Eta Virginis)
                                    >
                                    > Edasich (Iota Draconis)
                                    >
                                    > Tureis (Iota Carinae)
                                    >
                                    > *Al Dhibah (Zeta Draconis, also known as Nodus I)

                                    means "the hyenas" in Arabic

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 8, 2006

                                      > > As of noon CST.
                                      > >
                                      > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago
                                      [February 26].
                                      > > Orbs are 1 00'.
                                      > >

                                      > > Ceres
                                      > >
                                      > > *Albireo (Beta Cygni)

                                      "beneficence in despair"

                                      (New Orleans? the Democrats--glimmers of hope? the political crisis
                                      in the Philippines?)

                                      > > *Anser (Alpha Vulpeculae)

                                      putting the fox in charge of the geese?

                                      (Dubai Ports World? Tom DeLay? King Gyanendra of Nepal? Gloria
                                      Arroyo? Bush?)

                                      > > *Beta Hydri

                                      getting bitten

                                      > > *Tarazed (Gamma Aquilae)

                                      on the Eagle's back

                                      (federal help in rebuilding southeast Louisiana, east Texas and the
                                      Mississippi Gulf Coast?)

                                      > > *Aladfar (Eta Lyrae)
                                      >
                                      > marks one side of the Harp's frame (where one holds it if one is
                                      > right-handed).
                                      >
                                      > (Playing someone or something like a harp?)

                                      Tom DeLay has managed to win the Republican primary election in his
                                      district on Houston's south side. He will go up against Democrat
                                      Nick Lampson in November in what is expected to be the toughest re-
                                      election battle he has ever faced.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 9, 2006
                                        Unfortunately, in that town, I'm not certain that is saying much.
                                        sigh, Beth

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 9, 2006
                                          DeLay's district is not a liberal area, and in the
                                          event Nick Lampson wins, he'll be sticking close to
                                          the political center if he wants more terms.

                                          Mark A. Holmes

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 10, 2006
                                            I suspect so, but I'll be surprised in that rubber stamp district if
                                            Delay loses. I rather hope he does, but I would be surprised. Beth