Something about the Pleiades

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2006
      I saw this on the Spiritus Mundi list. I don't want to cross-post
      without permission, so I linked to the post. I thought it was interesting.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2006
        wont let you view without becoming a member,. MissB

        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "mahtezcatpoc" <mahtezcatpoc@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2006
          --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

          > wont let you view without becoming a member,. MissB

          I'll post it edited, then.

          Edited post begins.

          The Pleiades were used as an "eye test" by many
          cultures before light pollution
          ruined it all. From Wikipedia:

          "It was common among the indigenous peoples of the
          Americas to measure
          keenness of vision by the number of stars the viewer
          could see in the Pleiades,
          a practice which was also used in historical Europe,
          especially in Greece."

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades_%28star_cluster%29

          Note that even the character for the Pleiades is
          included in this entry,
          although it is called Kabalistic.

          http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/pleiades/

          And the Pleiades were used to predict weather.
          Moisture high in the atmosphere
          would obscure or make hazy the star cluster. Here is
          an article on the people of
          the Andes using the Pleiades just this way.

          http://www.space.com/news/space_potatoes_000105.html

          [...]

          Pleiades comes from the Greek verb meaning "to
          sail" , and were called "the
          sailing ones" so these stars are connected to sailors.

          [...]

          Pleiades also is comes from Peleiades or doves.
          These sisters, who were
          consorts of Artemis, were turned into doves to escape
          the unwanted attentions of
          Orion. It was also believed that the soul turned into
          a dove when it left the
          body.

          http://www.shamanicastrology.com/articles09.htm

          [...]

          One of the Pleiades, the beautiful Maia, through
          the attentions of
          Zeus/Jupiter, gave birth to Hermes/Mercury.

          [...]

          Edited post ends.