Re: Fixed star alignments (January 22, 2006) (additional objects)

    Message 1 of 60 , Feb 1, 2006

      > <mahtezcatpoc@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > As of noon CST.
      > >
      > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago
      [January
      > 22].
      >
      > With additional alignments to objects I just added to the fixed-
      star
      > menus in SF5 (thanks to Wikipedia for that).
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_traditional_star_names
      >

      > > Jupiter
      > >
      > > Zubenalakribi (Delta Librae)
      > >
      > > R Coronae Borealis (recurrent nova)
      > >

      > > Saturn
      > >
      > > Asellus Australis (Delta Cancri)
      > >
      > > *Asellus Borealis (Gamma Cancri)
      > >
      > > *Praesepe (M-44 Cancri, the Beehive Cluster)
      >
      > *Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > On one of Ursa Major's legs.
      >

      > > Uranus
      > >
      > > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
      > >
      > > *Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
      > >
      > > *North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

      The energy crisis in the Republic of Georgia?

      > > Neptune
      > >
      > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
      > >
      > > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)
      > >
      > > Alnair (Alpha Gruis)
      >
      > *Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
      >
      > (from the Arabic for "the tail," which is where I think Aldhanab
      is in
      > Grus the Crane)

      In Aztec mythology, one of Tezcatlipoca's manifestations was a
      bejeweled turkey, who would grant prosperity to anyone bold and
      fortunate enough to grab its tail.

      > > Pluto
      > >
      > > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
      > >
      > > Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
      > >
      > > Alpha Mensae
      > >
      > > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
      > >
      > > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
      > >
      > > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
      >
      > *Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
      >
      > Situated just above the Scorpion's stinger.

      Quite a few alignments to stars in Scorpius' stinger and tail.

      > > Ceres
      > >
      > > *Rukbat (Alpha Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > *Albaldah (Pi Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Al Thalamain II (Lambda Aquilae)
      >
      > (Two stars in Aquila go by the name Al Thalamain, which comes from
      > Arabic for "the two ostriches". The other is Iota Aquilae. I call
      it
      > Al Thalamain I.)

      The expo hall roof collapse in Poland, and more activity in the
      Rhode Island nightclub fire case. (Refusing to see something
      resulting in trouble?)

      > > Pallas
      > >
      > > *Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)
      > >
      > > *Beta Arae
      > >
      > > *Little Ghost Nebula (NGC 6339 Ophiuchi)
      > >

      > > Juno
      > >
      > > Tabit (Pi-3 Orionis)
      > >
      > > *Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)

      Around the Giraffe's chest, I think.

      With Samuel Alito joining the Supreme Court, there is a lot of
      concern about the future of abortion and other civil rights (a
      possible cascade of reaction, the culmination of years of patient
      effort [Camelopardalis]).

      > Hind's Crimson Star (R Leporis)
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hind's_Crimson_Star
      >
      > One of the reddest easily observable stars. I think this may be
      near
      > the Hare's hind legs.

      Seeing red, jumping to conclusions?

      > > Vesta
      > >
      > > *Alzirr (Xi Geminorum)
      > >
      > > *Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis, an open cluster
      > > surrounded by a nebula, the Cone Nebula, northeast of Epsilon
      > > Monocerotis in Monoceros the Unicorn's face)

      The religious right in the US apparently regard Samuel Alito's
      confirmation to the Supreme Court as a belated Christmas present.

      > > Chiron
      > >
      > > Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
      > >
      > > *Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Shelton's Star (Supernova 1987A Doradus)
      > >

      > > North Node
      > >
      > > Alpha Reticuli

      More refusals on Bush's part to give information that's been
      requested.

      > > South Node
      > >
      > > *Quasar Alpha (3C273 Virginis, the first quasar ever to be
      identified
      > > as such)
      > >
      > > (I've got "stress, anxiety, frenzy" as keywords for this object)
      >
      > Tseen Kee (Phi Velorum)
      >
      > (the name is Chinese for "heaven's record", and the star seems to
      be
      > low in the figure of the Ship Argo's Sails, close to the deck, I
      would
      > imagine)

      Possible meanings: God, the final recourse for the powerless; moral
      victories only; "as God is my witness." (?)

      Also: I remember the new chief judge in the Saddam Hussein trial
      quoting Imam Ali, founder of the Shiite branch of Islam, about abuse
      of power in an apparent attempt to play to Iraqi Shiites. Most of
      Saddam's victims were from Iraq's Shiite majority, it seems, and the
      new chief judge is a Kurd.

      Message 60 of 60 , Feb 4, 2006

        > > As of noon CST.
        > >
        > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.
        > >

        > > Saturn
        > >
        > > Asellus Borealis (Gamma Cancri)
        > >
        > > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri, the Beehive Cluster)
        > >
        > > Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > The use of destructive power is the user's moral responsibility?

        Like with the gay bar in Massachusetts that got shot up.

        Or maybe just power, like in the recent deadly stadium stampede in
        Manila, where a crowd's eagerness got out of hand.

        > > Uranus
        > >
        > > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
        > >
        > > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
        >
        > Bush's assertion about oil in his State of the Union address (a drop
        > in the bucket?)
        >

        > > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

        The latest Iran crisis?

        > > Neptune
        > >
        > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        > >
        > > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

        Something that needs nourishment (like a dolphin needs to surface
        every so often to breathe) (alternative energy)(?)

        > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        > >

        > > Pluto
        > >
        > > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > Alpha Mensae
        > >
        > > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        > >
        > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        > >
        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a peculiar deep-space
        > > radiation source discovered by American astronomer Scott Hyman, so
        > > nicknamed from the pattern of its emissions)
        >

        > to come up with something unexpectedly?
        >

        > > Ceres
        > >
        > > *Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)
        >
        > "It gives ability to command, liberality, success in war and
        > beneficence." (Robson)
        >
        > "Success in martial arts (or sports?)" (Noonan)
        >
        > (The Super Bowl, which Detroit is hosting this year.
        >

        > > *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis)
        > >
        > > (the brightest star, or lucida, in Octans the Octant, which is the
        > > constellation that contains the south celestial pole)
        >

        > Wanting to get something exactly right (like 2003 UB313's size, and
        > trying to put the controversy over whether it and Pluto are actually
        > planets to rest)? Not to mention the business about James Frey's
        > semifictionalized memoir.
        >

        > > *Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
        >
        > Sheliak is in the strings of the Harp. The name comes from the
        > Arabic for "tortoise."
        >
        > (Too little, too late, and manipulative and self-serving rather than
        > sincere?)
        >

        > > *Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)

        Married to nurturance (that is, married to the movement[s], e.g.,
        Coretta Scott King, Betty Friedan); now gone.

        > > *SS433 (an unusual X-ray-emitting binary star in Aquila)
        > >
        > > (I have "made to take a stand" for this one)
        > >

        > > Pallas
        > >
        > > *Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > *Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > *Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

        Iran's nuclear program has become the focus of controversy this week.

        > > *Galactic Center

        Some sort of turning point in politics (Pallas?)

        > > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

        "the mouse that roared" (the futile attempt to filibuster Alito, the
        rise of the now-deceased Coretta Scott King after the death of her
        husband)(?)

        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
        > >

        > > Juno
        > >
        > > Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)
        > >

        > > Vesta
        > >
        > > *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)
        >
        > Has to do with eminence in art (this is award season in Hollywood
        > and the Oscar nominations have been announced).
        >

        > > *Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorum)
        >
        > On the Twin Castor's right leg or the hem of his tunic; the name
        > comes from the Arabic for "the outstretched [paw]."
        >
        > [Claws out?]
        >

        > > *Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261 Monocerotis; not far from
        > Alzirr
        > > [Xi Geminorum)
        >
        > marking one of the Twin Pollux's feet
        >
        > (kicked around?
        >
        > The cartoon controversy in Europe?)
        >

        > > *R Monocerotis

        Not sure what this means. Yet. R Mon is a variable star. Being aligned
        with Vesta, perhaps some sort of commitment is implied here.

        > > Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis)

        Alito's confirmation is considered a victory for the right. I guess
        we'll see how he rules in cases that come before the Supreme Court.

        > > Chiron
        > >
        > > *Bos (Rho Capricorni)
        > >
        > > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
        >
        > having to do with cleverness and incisiveness?
        >

        > > Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
        >
        > In one of the Goat's horns; its name is from the Arabic for "the
        > sheep."
        >

        > > Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
        > >

        > > South Node
        > >
        > > Tseen Kee (Phi Velorum)
        > >
        > > *Edasich (Iota Draconis)
        >
        > In the Dragon's body; the name comes from the Arabic for "the male
        > hyena."

        Laughing, machismo, scavenging, dirty?