Terzan5ad (was: from Sky and Telescope)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2006
      Terzan 5ad is located in the globular cluster Terzan
      5, which was discovered by the French astronomer Agop
      Terzan in 1968. Terzan 5 has a bunch of millisecond
      pulsars and X-ray sources in it.

      http://www.aas.org/publications/baas/v37n2/aas206/425.htm

      http://www.aas.org/publications/baas/v36n5/aas205/1368.htm

      If you want to add Terzan 5 to SolarFire 5, its
      coordinates are right ascension 17h48m04s, declination
      -24 46 45.

      http://www.mporzio.astro.it/~marco/gc/cluster_4.php?ggc=Terzan+5

      http://www.seds.org/~spider/spider/MWGC/ter05.html

      --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
      wrote:

      > SPINNING PULSAR SMASHES RECORD
      >
      > If spinning amusement-park rides make you feel
      > uncomfortably dizzy, then
      > avoid the recently discovered pulsar Terzan 5ad. A
      > team of radio astronomers
      > has found that this celestial flywheel rotates 716
      > times per second --
      > smashing a record that has stood since 1982 making
      > it the fastest-spinning
      > natural macroscopic object known in the universe.
      > The previous record
      > holder, which by coincidence was also the first
      > millisecond pulsar
      > discovered, spins "only" 642 times per second.
      > Terzan 5ad (formally known as PSR J1748-2446ad)
      > belongs to a class known as
      > millisecond pulsars. These bizarre objects are
      > neutron stars (the ultradense
      > cores of massive stars) that take only a few
      > thousandths of a second to
      > complete one rotation -- a feat the Sun needs about
      > 27 days to accomplish.
      >
      > > http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1659_1.asp
      >
      > As far as I can tell from the position given, this
      > comes out
      > at 27 Sag 22, and at Lat 1 S 21 it is very close to
      > the ecliptic!
      >
      > So Pluto has another wacko creature to line up with!
      > It's below Ophiuchus'
      > right hand holding the serpent, and in front of the
      > Archer's bow.

      In Sagittarius.

      Thanks.