Re: Fixed star alignments (January 1, 2006)

    Message 1 of 60 , Jan 7, 2006
      <mahtezcatpoc@y...> wrote:

      > As of noon CST.
      >
      > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today
      > (orb, 1 00' or less).
      >

      > Jupiter
      >
      > Jewel Box Cluster (Kappa/NGC 4755 Crucis)
      >

      > Saturn
      >
      > Giansar (Lambda Draconis)
      >

      > Uranus
      >
      > Biham (Theta Pegasi)
      >
      > Sadalachbia (Gamma Aquarii)
      >
      > Pelican Nebula (IC 5070 Cygni)
      >

      > Neptune
      >
      > Alnair (Alpha Gruis)
      >
      > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)
      >
      > Hole-in-a-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)
      >
      > Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)
      >

      > Pluto
      >
      > *Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, a star cluster in Scorpius' stinger also known
      > as the Butterfly Cluster)

      From the Brady star file in SolarFire 5:

      "[It] has a twin nebula named Acumen. Traditionally linked to
      blindness but because it has a twin, the issue is expressed as a
      polarity. Aculeus is one side of this polarity while Acumen is the
      other. The sting of the scorpion is its power point, its attack and
      these twin nebula are linked to attack, either verbal or physical,
      confronting or hidden, slow or fast. This nebula promises a more
      positive outcome than its twin."

      > Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)
      >
      > Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
      >
      > Alpha Mensae
      >
      > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
      >
      > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
      >
      > *Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

      In the Scorpion's tail; Sargas is a Sumerian name of unknown meaning.

      > Ceres
      >
      > *Facies (M-22 Sagittarii)

      From the Brady star file in SF5:

      "All nebulas are traditionally linked to the eyes and blindness,
      primarily because a test of good eyesight in the Roman army was to be
      able to see that a star was not one but a cluster. This nebula is the
      eye of the most feared of all warriors - the archer. Facies is a
      difficult star, being either the perpetrator of violence or the
      victim. Whatever Facies touches will be influenced by ruthlessness
      and/or aggression."

      > *Alpha Scuti (in Scutum the Shield)

      Scutum: "It is said to give eminence, honor, power and bravery
      together with an adventurous career." (Robson)

      > *Cerberus (109 Herculis; Hercules has been represented as holding
      > Cerberus the three-headed dog who guards the gates of the underworld
      > in his grasp--this star represents Cerberus, which is an obsolete
      > constellation)

      "Cerberus is said to cause faithfulness, devotion, industry and
      watchfulness, and to restrain from evil, but to give danger of
      poison." (Robson)

      This sounds like Hugh Thompson, the Army helicopter pilot who
      intervened in the My Lai massacre and died a few days ago.

      > Pallas
      >
      > *Alpha Apodis (in Apus the Bird of Paradise)

      "It is said to confer a kind, benevolent, sympathetic and ambitious
      nature." (Robson)

      The bird of paradise was once erroneously believed to be perpetually
      in flight and to touch the earth only when it died.

      > *Sarin (Delta Herculis)
      >
      > *Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Normae)
      >

      > Juno
      >
      > *Tabit (Pi-3 Orionis)

      > Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)
      >

      > Vesta
      >
      > *Cor Monocerotis (19 Monocerotis, marking the heart of Monoceros the
      > Unicorn)
      >

      > Chiron
      >
      > Altair (Alpha Aquilae)
      >
      > Albireo (Beta Cygni)
      >
      > Sham (Alpha Sagittae)
      >
      > Tarazed (Gamma Aquilae)
      >
      > Beta Hydri
      >
      > *Alshain (Beta Aquilae)
      >
      > Dumbbell Nebula (M-27 Vulpecula, a planetary nebula in Vulpecula the
      Fox)

      > North Node
      >
      > Algenib (Gamma Virginis)
      >
      > Erakis (Mu Cephei)
      >

      > South Node
      >
      > Diadem (Alpha Comae Berenices)
      >
      > *Antennae Galaxy (NGC 4038 Corvi)
      >
      > *The Comma (NGC 4039 Corvi; these are very close together and form an
      > equilateral triangle with Gienah Ghurab [Gamma Corvi] and Tso-Hia [Eta
      > Corvi], and then another one with Gienah Ghurab and Epsilon Corvi).

      Just a thought: The cholera vibrio is shaped like a comma.

      Message 60 of 60 , Feb 4, 2006

        > > As of noon CST.
        > >
        > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.
        > >

        > > Saturn
        > >
        > > Asellus Borealis (Gamma Cancri)
        > >
        > > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri, the Beehive Cluster)
        > >
        > > Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > The use of destructive power is the user's moral responsibility?

        Like with the gay bar in Massachusetts that got shot up.

        Or maybe just power, like in the recent deadly stadium stampede in
        Manila, where a crowd's eagerness got out of hand.

        > > Uranus
        > >
        > > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
        > >
        > > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
        >
        > Bush's assertion about oil in his State of the Union address (a drop
        > in the bucket?)
        >

        > > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

        The latest Iran crisis?

        > > Neptune
        > >
        > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        > >
        > > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

        Something that needs nourishment (like a dolphin needs to surface
        every so often to breathe) (alternative energy)(?)

        > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        > >

        > > Pluto
        > >
        > > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > Alpha Mensae
        > >
        > > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        > >
        > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        > >
        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a peculiar deep-space
        > > radiation source discovered by American astronomer Scott Hyman, so
        > > nicknamed from the pattern of its emissions)
        >

        > to come up with something unexpectedly?
        >

        > > Ceres
        > >
        > > *Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)
        >
        > "It gives ability to command, liberality, success in war and
        > beneficence." (Robson)
        >
        > "Success in martial arts (or sports?)" (Noonan)
        >
        > (The Super Bowl, which Detroit is hosting this year.
        >

        > > *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis)
        > >
        > > (the brightest star, or lucida, in Octans the Octant, which is the
        > > constellation that contains the south celestial pole)
        >

        > Wanting to get something exactly right (like 2003 UB313's size, and
        > trying to put the controversy over whether it and Pluto are actually
        > planets to rest)? Not to mention the business about James Frey's
        > semifictionalized memoir.
        >

        > > *Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
        >
        > Sheliak is in the strings of the Harp. The name comes from the
        > Arabic for "tortoise."
        >
        > (Too little, too late, and manipulative and self-serving rather than
        > sincere?)
        >

        > > *Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)

        Married to nurturance (that is, married to the movement[s], e.g.,
        Coretta Scott King, Betty Friedan); now gone.

        > > *SS433 (an unusual X-ray-emitting binary star in Aquila)
        > >
        > > (I have "made to take a stand" for this one)
        > >

        > > Pallas
        > >
        > > *Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > *Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > *Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

        Iran's nuclear program has become the focus of controversy this week.

        > > *Galactic Center

        Some sort of turning point in politics (Pallas?)

        > > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

        "the mouse that roared" (the futile attempt to filibuster Alito, the
        rise of the now-deceased Coretta Scott King after the death of her
        husband)(?)

        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
        > >

        > > Juno
        > >
        > > Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)
        > >

        > > Vesta
        > >
        > > *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)
        >
        > Has to do with eminence in art (this is award season in Hollywood
        > and the Oscar nominations have been announced).
        >

        > > *Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorum)
        >
        > On the Twin Castor's right leg or the hem of his tunic; the name
        > comes from the Arabic for "the outstretched [paw]."
        >
        > [Claws out?]
        >

        > > *Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261 Monocerotis; not far from
        > Alzirr
        > > [Xi Geminorum)
        >
        > marking one of the Twin Pollux's feet
        >
        > (kicked around?
        >
        > The cartoon controversy in Europe?)
        >

        > > *R Monocerotis

        Not sure what this means. Yet. R Mon is a variable star. Being aligned
        with Vesta, perhaps some sort of commitment is implied here.

        > > Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis)

        Alito's confirmation is considered a victory for the right. I guess
        we'll see how he rules in cases that come before the Supreme Court.

        > > Chiron
        > >
        > > *Bos (Rho Capricorni)
        > >
        > > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
        >
        > having to do with cleverness and incisiveness?
        >

        > > Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
        >
        > In one of the Goat's horns; its name is from the Arabic for "the
        > sheep."
        >

        > > Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
        > >

        > > South Node
        > >
        > > Tseen Kee (Phi Velorum)
        > >
        > > *Edasich (Iota Draconis)
        >
        > In the Dragon's body; the name comes from the Arabic for "the male
        > hyena."

        Laughing, machismo, scavenging, dirty?