Uranus - interesting

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
      Uranus - interesting

      HUBBLE SPIES NEW URANUS RINGS AND MOONS

      When people think of the best Hubble Space Telescope targets, planets might not come to mind. Yet the telescope's Advanced Camera for Surveys continues to make unexpected discoveries within our solar system. Mark Showalter (SETI Institute) and Jack Lissauer (NASA/Ames Research Center) looked at the Uranus four times between July 2003 and August 2005 and recovered a satellite first observed in Voyager 2 images shot in 1986 (now named Perdita). It also found two new moons, which go by the names Mab and Cupid.

      More interesting were two new tenuous rings girdling the planet....

      > http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1651_1.asp

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://pw1.netcom.com/~ye-stars/

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
        I knew about Cupid, Mab and Margaret (see the
        Centaurs2 list), but not about Perdita, Francisco and
        Ferdinand.

        Mark A. Holmes

        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:

        > HUBBLE SPIES NEW URANUS RINGS AND MOONS
        >
        > When people think of the best Hubble Space Telescope
        > targets, planets might
        > not come to mind. Yet the telescope's Advanced
        > Camera for Surveys continues
        > to make unexpected discoveries within our solar
        > system. Mark Showalter (SETI
        > Institute) and Jack Lissauer (NASA/Ames Research
        > Center) looked at the
        > Uranus four times between July 2003 and August 2005
        > and recovered a
        > satellite first observed in Voyager 2 images shot in
        > 1986 (now named
        > Perdita). It also found two new moons, which go by
        > the names Mab and Cupid.
        >
        > More interesting were two new tenuous rings girdling
        > the planet....
        >
        > > http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1651_1.asp
        >
        > Love, Diana
        >
        > Website: http://pw1.netcom.com/~ye-stars/