Deadly space accidents (was Friday the 13th)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "msbhavens1" <msbhavens1@y...>
      wrote:

      > =) Nasa geeks are as superstitous as the rest, it was my 9th
      birthday
      > that Apollo 13 launched on. It was my daughters 3rd Birthday that
      > Challenger Blew up on, and the day before, the 27 of January is when
      > Apollo1 burned on the launch pad, Challenger burned up in re-entry
      > into the atmosphere on February 1, lets see January 27, 28 and
      > February 1.... me thinks that 13 is not the problem. you might want
      > to check the sky for the sun against some malefic star last of
      > January, begining of February, cause that time period seems to be
      > deadly for astronaughts. ;-) I looked it up once, but dont recall
      > what I found, I think US only has moon in Aqurius? hasn't been every
      > year however.

      Off the top of my head, I think Aquila, Cygnus, Sagitta and Vulpecula
      are within the degree range where the Sun would be every year around
      that time (the first half of Aquarius). All of these are predators or
      weapons except Cygnus (the Swan), which like Aquila is a bird capable
      of flight.

      I think Diana and Bernadette would know more about any links between
      space flight disasters and fixed star events, but it seems to me that
      these accidents involving the US space program would have some tie to
      the NASA and/or US national chart. There have been two other fatal
      space flight accidents, both involving Soviet Russian spacecraft and
      neither occurring in the wintertime. Soyuz 1 fell to the ground when
      its parachute failed on April 23, 1967, killing cosmonaut Vladimir
      Komarov, and Soyuz 11 came back down to earth on June 30, 1971 with
      its occupants Vladislav Volkov, Georgi Dobrovolski and Viktor Patsayev
      dead because the air had leaked out of the spacecraft.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_1

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11