Friday the 13th (was Re: Cancer Full Moon)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

      > LOL, I was born on Friday the 13th at 6:07 pm
      > (6+7=13) I've never found
      > the number or the day to be particularly unhelpful.
      > Of course I have a
      > friend Joe who's out-done me on this one, HE was
      > born on friday the
      > 13th in the middle of a flash flood in a row boat, I
      > mean, that's
      > entering the world with some flash and pizzazz!
      >
      > MIssB

      NASA engineers working in the manned space program
      will likely swear up and down that they're void of
      superstition and other irrationalities (like
      triskadekaphobia). But I remember it being a big deal
      a few years when weather conditions off Florida's east
      coast raised the possibility that a shuttle flight
      from Cape Canaveral (not way long before Columbia's
      last flight) might get launched on a Friday the 13th.
      Because, according to this report, ever since the
      infamous Apollo 13, the US manned space program had
      quietly but studiously avoided launching payloads on
      the 13th day of the month or numbering a mission 13.
      But this time, the media noticed and NASA was on the
      spot. Fortunately, as it turned out there was no need
      for them to prove their hard-headed rationality before
      the world by launching the shuttle on Friday the 13th.
      The weather gods let them launch on another date.

      :)

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        =) Nasa geeks are as superstitous as the rest, it was my 9th birthday
        that Apollo 13 launched on. It was my daughters 3rd Birthday that
        Challenger Blew up on, and the day before, the 27 of January is when
        Apollo1 burned on the launch pad, Challenger burned up in re-entry
        into the atmosphere on February 1, lets see January 27, 28 and
        February 1.... me thinks that 13 is not the problem. you might want
        to check the sky for the sun against some malefic star last of
        January, begining of February, cause that time period seems to be
        deadly for astronaughts. ;-) I looked it up once, but dont recall
        what I found, I think US only has moon in Aqurius? hasn't been every
        year however. Also strictly speaking Apollo 13, wasn't ... they
        skipped 2,3,4,5,and 6 and restarted the program with 7... so strictly
        speaking that would have been apollo 8. =) Also Every one came home
        alive from that incident, unlike those launched in January. Maybe
        Janus doesn't like Astronaughts?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "msbhavens1" <msbhavens1@y...>
          wrote:

          > =) Nasa geeks are as superstitous as the rest, it was my 9th
          birthday
          > that Apollo 13 launched on. It was my daughters 3rd Birthday that
          > Challenger Blew up on, and the day before, the 27 of January is when
          > Apollo1 burned on the launch pad, Challenger burned up in re-entry
          > into the atmosphere on February 1, lets see January 27, 28 and
          > February 1.... me thinks that 13 is not the problem. you might want
          > to check the sky for the sun against some malefic star last of
          > January, begining of February, cause that time period seems to be
          > deadly for astronaughts. ;-) I looked it up once, but dont recall
          > what I found, I think US only has moon in Aqurius? hasn't been every
          > year however.

          Off the top of my head, I think Aquila, Cygnus, Sagitta and Vulpecula
          are within the degree range where the Sun would be every year around
          that time (the first half of Aquarius). All of these are predators or
          weapons except Cygnus (the Swan), which like Aquila is a bird capable
          of flight.

          I think Diana and Bernadette would know more about any links between
          space flight disasters and fixed star events, but it seems to me that
          these accidents involving the US space program would have some tie to
          the NASA and/or US national chart. There have been two other fatal
          space flight accidents, both involving Soviet Russian spacecraft and
          neither occurring in the wintertime. Soyuz 1 fell to the ground when
          its parachute failed on April 23, 1967, killing cosmonaut Vladimir
          Komarov, and Soyuz 11 came back down to earth on June 30, 1971 with
          its occupants Vladislav Volkov, Georgi Dobrovolski and Viktor Patsayev
          dead because the air had leaked out of the spacecraft.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_1

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11