Fixed star alignments (December 25, 2005)

    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 25, 2005
      As of noon CST.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there one week ago today
      (orb 1 00' or less).

      Jupiter

      Acrux (Alpha Crucis)

      Mimosa (Beta Crucis)

      *Alphecca (Alpha Coronae Borealis)

      *Menkent (Theta Centauri)

      *Jewel Box Cluster (Kappa/NGC 4755 Crucis)

      Saturn

      Giansar (Lambda Draconis)

      Uranus

      Biham (Theta Pegasi)

      Sadalachbia (Gamma Aquarii)

      Pelican Nebula (IC 5070 Cygni, a diffuse nebula around 56 Cygni, west
      of Deneb, or Deneb Adige as we astrologers call it [aka Alpha Cygni])

      Neptune

      Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

      Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

      Hole-in-a-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni, northwest of Delta Cygni)

      Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)

      Pluto

      Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)

      Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)

      Alpha Mensae

      Beta Arae

      Grumium (Xi Draconis)

      *Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)

      Ceres

      *Alpha Telescopii (in Telescopium the Telescope)

      *Kaus Australis (Epsilon Sagittarii)

      *Kaus Borealis (Lambda Sagittarii)

      *DQ Herculis (a nova which reached first magnitude in 1934)

      *Omega Nebula (M-17 Sagittarii)

      (I have "termination or release" for this one)

      Pallas

      *Rastaban (Beta Draconis)

      *Gamma Normae (in Norma the Carpenter's Square)

      *Ant Nebula (Menzel 3 Normae, a planetary nebula in Norma)

      Juno

      *Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis, a star cluster in
      Camelopardalis the Giraffe)

      Witch Head Nebula (IC 2118 Eridani)

      Vesta

      *Wasat (Delta Geminorum)

      *Cor Canis Majoris (Pi Canis Majoris, marking Canis Major the Big
      Dog's heart)

      Gum Nebula (IC 2177 Monocerotis)

      Chiron

      Altair (Alpha Aquilae)

      Albireo (Beta Cygni)

      Beta Hydri

      Sham (Alpha Sagittae)

      Antinous (Eta Aquilae; marks the obsolete constellation Antinous, a
      young man Aquila the Eagle is holding in his talons)

      Tarazed (Gamma Aquilae)

      *Dumbbell Nebula (M-27 Vulpeculae)

      North Node

      Algenib (Gamma Virginis)

      Erakis (Mu Cephei, aka the Garnet Star)

      South Node

      *Diadem (Alpha Comae Berenices)

      Porrima (aka Caphir; Gamma Virginis)

      Vindemiatrix (Epsilon Virginis)

      More later.

      Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Merry
      Winter Solstice/Yule...

      Message 60 of 60 , Feb 4, 2006

        > > As of noon CST.
        > >
        > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.
        > >

        > > Saturn
        > >
        > > Asellus Borealis (Gamma Cancri)
        > >
        > > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri, the Beehive Cluster)
        > >
        > > Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > The use of destructive power is the user's moral responsibility?

        Like with the gay bar in Massachusetts that got shot up.

        Or maybe just power, like in the recent deadly stadium stampede in
        Manila, where a crowd's eagerness got out of hand.

        > > Uranus
        > >
        > > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
        > >
        > > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
        >
        > Bush's assertion about oil in his State of the Union address (a drop
        > in the bucket?)
        >

        > > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

        The latest Iran crisis?

        > > Neptune
        > >
        > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        > >
        > > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

        Something that needs nourishment (like a dolphin needs to surface
        every so often to breathe) (alternative energy)(?)

        > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        > >

        > > Pluto
        > >
        > > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > Alpha Mensae
        > >
        > > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        > >
        > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        > >
        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a peculiar deep-space
        > > radiation source discovered by American astronomer Scott Hyman, so
        > > nicknamed from the pattern of its emissions)
        >

        > to come up with something unexpectedly?
        >

        > > Ceres
        > >
        > > *Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)
        >
        > "It gives ability to command, liberality, success in war and
        > beneficence." (Robson)
        >
        > "Success in martial arts (or sports?)" (Noonan)
        >
        > (The Super Bowl, which Detroit is hosting this year.
        >

        > > *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis)
        > >
        > > (the brightest star, or lucida, in Octans the Octant, which is the
        > > constellation that contains the south celestial pole)
        >

        > Wanting to get something exactly right (like 2003 UB313's size, and
        > trying to put the controversy over whether it and Pluto are actually
        > planets to rest)? Not to mention the business about James Frey's
        > semifictionalized memoir.
        >

        > > *Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
        >
        > Sheliak is in the strings of the Harp. The name comes from the
        > Arabic for "tortoise."
        >
        > (Too little, too late, and manipulative and self-serving rather than
        > sincere?)
        >

        > > *Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)

        Married to nurturance (that is, married to the movement[s], e.g.,
        Coretta Scott King, Betty Friedan); now gone.

        > > *SS433 (an unusual X-ray-emitting binary star in Aquila)
        > >
        > > (I have "made to take a stand" for this one)
        > >

        > > Pallas
        > >
        > > *Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > *Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > *Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

        Iran's nuclear program has become the focus of controversy this week.

        > > *Galactic Center

        Some sort of turning point in politics (Pallas?)

        > > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

        "the mouse that roared" (the futile attempt to filibuster Alito, the
        rise of the now-deceased Coretta Scott King after the death of her
        husband)(?)

        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
        > >

        > > Juno
        > >
        > > Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)
        > >

        > > Vesta
        > >
        > > *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)
        >
        > Has to do with eminence in art (this is award season in Hollywood
        > and the Oscar nominations have been announced).
        >

        > > *Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorum)
        >
        > On the Twin Castor's right leg or the hem of his tunic; the name
        > comes from the Arabic for "the outstretched [paw]."
        >
        > [Claws out?]
        >

        > > *Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261 Monocerotis; not far from
        > Alzirr
        > > [Xi Geminorum)
        >
        > marking one of the Twin Pollux's feet
        >
        > (kicked around?
        >
        > The cartoon controversy in Europe?)
        >

        > > *R Monocerotis

        Not sure what this means. Yet. R Mon is a variable star. Being aligned
        with Vesta, perhaps some sort of commitment is implied here.

        > > Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis)

        Alito's confirmation is considered a victory for the right. I guess
        we'll see how he rules in cases that come before the Supreme Court.

        > > Chiron
        > >
        > > *Bos (Rho Capricorni)
        > >
        > > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
        >
        > having to do with cleverness and incisiveness?
        >

        > > Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
        >
        > In one of the Goat's horns; its name is from the Arabic for "the
        > sheep."
        >

        > > Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
        > >

        > > South Node
        > >
        > > Tseen Kee (Phi Velorum)
        > >
        > > *Edasich (Iota Draconis)
        >
        > In the Dragon's body; the name comes from the Arabic for "the male
        > hyena."

        Laughing, machismo, scavenging, dirty?