Re: Fixed star alignments (December 4, 2005)

    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 6, 2005
      <mahtezcatpoc@y...> wrote:

      > As of noon CST.

      > Jupiter

      > *Noctua (Pi Hydrae, in the tail of Hydra, also marking the obsolete
      > constellation Noctua, the Night-Owl)

      Science in the spotlight.

      > Pluto
      >
      > Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)
      >
      > Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
      >
      > Grumium (Xi Draconis)
      >
      > Beta Arae
      >
      > Little Ghost Nebula (NGC 6339 Ophiuchi)

      Condoleeza Rice has been trying to defend the US's conduct in the war
      on terrorism to the European Union, which is revulsed at the idea that
      ghost detainees may have been held and tortured in secret prisons in
      Europe (attention is focusing on Poland and Romania)

      > Ceres
      >
      > *Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      The case of the caged children from Wakeman, Ohio continues, with the
      state trying to determine if their adoptive parents deserve to keep them.

      A Massachusetts man accused of beating his 11-year-old stepdaughter
      into a hopeless vegetative state (along with his now-deceased wife,
      the girl's aunt and adoptive mother) is now trying to convince the
      state Supreme Court that he should be the child's guardian. The state,
      which now has custody of her, wants her feeding tube taken out. He
      wants to keep it in, understandably: if it's taken out, she dies, and
      the assault charge against him becomes murder.

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Acrab (Beta Scorpii)
      >
      > *Yed Prior (Delta Ophiuchi)
      >
      > *Isidis (Delta Scorpii)
      >
      > *Yed Posterior (Epsilon Ophiuchi)
      >
      > *Alpha Circini

      (in Circinus the Drafting Compass--a circle drawn around somebody?)

      A conspiracy charge against Tom DeLay has been thrown out, but another
      conspiracy charge and a money-laundering charge stands. His fight just
      got tougher.

      Spokane Mayor Jim West has been recalled as a result of a sex scandal.

      The life of former gang leader turned anti-gang activist Stanley
      "Tookie" Williams is now in the hands of California Governor Arnold
      Schwarzenegger, and history is not on his side.

      More later; it's getting late here.

      Message 60 of 60 , Feb 4, 2006

        > > As of noon CST.
        > >
        > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.
        > >

        > > Saturn
        > >
        > > Asellus Borealis (Gamma Cancri)
        > >
        > > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri, the Beehive Cluster)
        > >
        > > Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > The use of destructive power is the user's moral responsibility?

        Like with the gay bar in Massachusetts that got shot up.

        Or maybe just power, like in the recent deadly stadium stampede in
        Manila, where a crowd's eagerness got out of hand.

        > > Uranus
        > >
        > > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
        > >
        > > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
        >
        > Bush's assertion about oil in his State of the Union address (a drop
        > in the bucket?)
        >

        > > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

        The latest Iran crisis?

        > > Neptune
        > >
        > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        > >
        > > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

        Something that needs nourishment (like a dolphin needs to surface
        every so often to breathe) (alternative energy)(?)

        > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        > >

        > > Pluto
        > >
        > > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > Alpha Mensae
        > >
        > > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        > >
        > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        > >
        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a peculiar deep-space
        > > radiation source discovered by American astronomer Scott Hyman, so
        > > nicknamed from the pattern of its emissions)
        >

        > to come up with something unexpectedly?
        >

        > > Ceres
        > >
        > > *Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)
        >
        > "It gives ability to command, liberality, success in war and
        > beneficence." (Robson)
        >
        > "Success in martial arts (or sports?)" (Noonan)
        >
        > (The Super Bowl, which Detroit is hosting this year.
        >

        > > *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis)
        > >
        > > (the brightest star, or lucida, in Octans the Octant, which is the
        > > constellation that contains the south celestial pole)
        >

        > Wanting to get something exactly right (like 2003 UB313's size, and
        > trying to put the controversy over whether it and Pluto are actually
        > planets to rest)? Not to mention the business about James Frey's
        > semifictionalized memoir.
        >

        > > *Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
        >
        > Sheliak is in the strings of the Harp. The name comes from the
        > Arabic for "tortoise."
        >
        > (Too little, too late, and manipulative and self-serving rather than
        > sincere?)
        >

        > > *Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)

        Married to nurturance (that is, married to the movement[s], e.g.,
        Coretta Scott King, Betty Friedan); now gone.

        > > *SS433 (an unusual X-ray-emitting binary star in Aquila)
        > >
        > > (I have "made to take a stand" for this one)
        > >

        > > Pallas
        > >
        > > *Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > *Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > *Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

        Iran's nuclear program has become the focus of controversy this week.

        > > *Galactic Center

        Some sort of turning point in politics (Pallas?)

        > > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

        "the mouse that roared" (the futile attempt to filibuster Alito, the
        rise of the now-deceased Coretta Scott King after the death of her
        husband)(?)

        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
        > >

        > > Juno
        > >
        > > Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)
        > >

        > > Vesta
        > >
        > > *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)
        >
        > Has to do with eminence in art (this is award season in Hollywood
        > and the Oscar nominations have been announced).
        >

        > > *Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorum)
        >
        > On the Twin Castor's right leg or the hem of his tunic; the name
        > comes from the Arabic for "the outstretched [paw]."
        >
        > [Claws out?]
        >

        > > *Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261 Monocerotis; not far from
        > Alzirr
        > > [Xi Geminorum)
        >
        > marking one of the Twin Pollux's feet
        >
        > (kicked around?
        >
        > The cartoon controversy in Europe?)
        >

        > > *R Monocerotis

        Not sure what this means. Yet. R Mon is a variable star. Being aligned
        with Vesta, perhaps some sort of commitment is implied here.

        > > Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis)

        Alito's confirmation is considered a victory for the right. I guess
        we'll see how he rules in cases that come before the Supreme Court.

        > > Chiron
        > >
        > > *Bos (Rho Capricorni)
        > >
        > > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
        >
        > having to do with cleverness and incisiveness?
        >

        > > Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
        >
        > In one of the Goat's horns; its name is from the Arabic for "the
        > sheep."
        >

        > > Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
        > >

        > > South Node
        > >
        > > Tseen Kee (Phi Velorum)
        > >
        > > *Edasich (Iota Draconis)
        >
        > In the Dragon's body; the name comes from the Arabic for "the male
        > hyena."

        Laughing, machismo, scavenging, dirty?