Fixed star alignments (December 4, 2005)

    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 4, 2005
      As of noon CST.

      Again, asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.

      Jupiter

      *Nusakan (Beta Coronae Borealis)

      *Noctua (Pi Hydrae, in the tail of Hydra, also marking the obsolete
      constellation Noctua, the Night-Owl)

      Saturn

      Lynx (Alpha Lyncis)

      Giansar (Lambda Draconis)

      Uranus

      Biham (Theta Pegasi)

      Sadalachbia (Gamma Aquarii)

      Pelican Nebula (IC 5070 Cygni)

      Neptune

      Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

      Hole-in-a-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)

      Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)

      Pluto

      Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)

      Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)

      Grumium (Xi Draconis)

      Beta Arae

      Little Ghost Nebula (NGC 6339 Ophiuchi)

      Ceres

      *Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a peculiar pulsar-like
      object in Scorpius, south of Lesath and Shaula and west of Alnasl
      [Gamma Sagittarii]; its lead discoverer is US astronomer Scott Hyman)

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/mysterious_burper/

      *The Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii, another pulsar in
      Sagittarius, in the same general area as Hyman's Burper, west of Alnasl)

      http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2004/mouse/

      "The Mouse, a.k.a. G359.23-0.82, gets its name from its appearance in
      radio images that show a compact snout, a bulbous body, and a
      remarkable long, narrow, tail that extends for about 55 light years...
      a shock wave has formed as the young pulsar plows supersonically
      through interstellar space."

      Pallas

      *Acrab (Beta Scorpii)

      *Yed Prior (Delta Ophiuchi)

      *Isidis (Delta Scorpii)

      *Yed Posterior (Epsilon Ophiuchi)

      *Alpha Circini

      *Circinus Pulsar (PSR B1509-58 Circini, a supernova remnant that is a
      pulsar)

      http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2001/1175/

      Juno

      *Hoedus I (Zeta Aurigae, another one of the Hoedi, or Kids)

      *Spirograph Nebula (IC 418 Leporis, a planetary nebula west of Nu
      Leporis not far from the Orion border)

      Vesta

      Gomeisa (Beta Canis Minoris)

      Muscida (Omicron Ursae Majoris)

      *NGC 2420 (an open cluster in Gemini of peculiar composition and motion)

      http://www.noao.edu/outreach/press/pr02/pr0204.html

      Chiron

      Anser (Alpha Vulpeculae)

      Alpha Indi

      *Antinous (Eta Aquilae, marking the obsolete constellation Antinous)

      South Node

      *Gienah Ghurab (Gamma Corvi)

      Alchiba (Alpha Corvi)

      Auva (Delta Virginis)

      Message 60 of 60 , Feb 4, 2006

        > > As of noon CST.
        > >
        > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today.
        > >

        > > Saturn
        > >
        > > Asellus Borealis (Gamma Cancri)
        > >
        > > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri, the Beehive Cluster)
        > >
        > > Sarir (Theta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > The use of destructive power is the user's moral responsibility?

        Like with the gay bar in Massachusetts that got shot up.

        Or maybe just power, like in the recent deadly stadium stampede in
        Manila, where a crowd's eagerness got out of hand.

        > > Uranus
        > >
        > > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
        > >
        > > Situla (Kappa Aquarii)
        >
        > Bush's assertion about oil in his State of the Union address (a drop
        > in the bucket?)
        >

        > > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

        The latest Iran crisis?

        > > Neptune
        > >
        > > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        > >
        > > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

        Something that needs nourishment (like a dolphin needs to surface
        every so often to breathe) (alternative energy)(?)

        > > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        > >

        > > Pluto
        > >
        > > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > Alpha Mensae
        > >
        > > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
        > >
        > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        > >
        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a peculiar deep-space
        > > radiation source discovered by American astronomer Scott Hyman, so
        > > nicknamed from the pattern of its emissions)
        >

        > to come up with something unexpectedly?
        >

        > > Ceres
        > >
        > > *Dheneb (Zeta Aquilae)
        >
        > "It gives ability to command, liberality, success in war and
        > beneficence." (Robson)
        >
        > "Success in martial arts (or sports?)" (Noonan)
        >
        > (The Super Bowl, which Detroit is hosting this year.
        >

        > > *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis)
        > >
        > > (the brightest star, or lucida, in Octans the Octant, which is the
        > > constellation that contains the south celestial pole)
        >

        > Wanting to get something exactly right (like 2003 UB313's size, and
        > trying to put the controversy over whether it and Pluto are actually
        > planets to rest)? Not to mention the business about James Frey's
        > semifictionalized memoir.
        >

        > > *Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
        >
        > Sheliak is in the strings of the Harp. The name comes from the
        > Arabic for "tortoise."
        >
        > (Too little, too late, and manipulative and self-serving rather than
        > sincere?)
        >

        > > *Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)

        Married to nurturance (that is, married to the movement[s], e.g.,
        Coretta Scott King, Betty Friedan); now gone.

        > > *SS433 (an unusual X-ray-emitting binary star in Aquila)
        > >
        > > (I have "made to take a stand" for this one)
        > >

        > > Pallas
        > >
        > > *Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Nebula)
        > >
        > > *Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > *Sargas (Theta Scorpii)

        Iran's nuclear program has become the focus of controversy this week.

        > > *Galactic Center

        Some sort of turning point in politics (Pallas?)

        > > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

        "the mouse that roared" (the futile attempt to filibuster Alito, the
        rise of the now-deceased Coretta Scott King after the death of her
        husband)(?)

        > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
        > >

        > > Juno
        > >
        > > Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)
        > >

        > > Vesta
        > >
        > > *Alhena (Gamma Geminorum)
        >
        > Has to do with eminence in art (this is award season in Hollywood
        > and the Oscar nominations have been announced).
        >

        > > *Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorum)
        >
        > On the Twin Castor's right leg or the hem of his tunic; the name
        > comes from the Arabic for "the outstretched [paw]."
        >
        > [Claws out?]
        >

        > > *Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261 Monocerotis; not far from
        > Alzirr
        > > [Xi Geminorum)
        >
        > marking one of the Twin Pollux's feet
        >
        > (kicked around?
        >
        > The cartoon controversy in Europe?)
        >

        > > *R Monocerotis

        Not sure what this means. Yet. R Mon is a variable star. Being aligned
        with Vesta, perhaps some sort of commitment is implied here.

        > > Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264 Monocerotis)

        Alito's confirmation is considered a victory for the right. I guess
        we'll see how he rules in cases that come before the Supreme Court.

        > > Chiron
        > >
        > > *Bos (Rho Capricorni)
        > >
        > > *Oculus (Pi Capricorni)
        >
        > having to do with cleverness and incisiveness?
        >

        > > Giedi Prima (Alpha-1 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Giedi Secunda (Alpha-2 Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Alshat (Nu Capricorni)
        >
        > In one of the Goat's horns; its name is from the Arabic for "the
        > sheep."
        >

        > > Dabih (Beta Capricorni)
        > >

        > > South Node
        > >
        > > Tseen Kee (Phi Velorum)
        > >
        > > *Edasich (Iota Draconis)
        >
        > In the Dragon's body; the name comes from the Arabic for "the male
        > hyena."

        Laughing, machismo, scavenging, dirty?