site and staal book

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2005
      site and staal book

      Mark wrote:

      http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/ophiuchus.htm

      Thank you for this site! Great resource, but be aware that
      many constellation figures are reversed - the old "God's eye view"

      Ophiuchus, for instance, should be facing front. The way he has it,
      Beta is the left shoulder, which is incorrect.

      (also, Asclepios was not one of the Argonauts -
      according to Graves' Greek Myths, there is a tradition that Aesculapius,
      the Physician, was on board the Argo, probably caused by a confusion with the name of
      Ascalaphus the Orchomenan, son of Ares)

      > Staal's New Patterns in the Sky for instance (Staal
      > was a leading expert in
      > constellations and their
      > history)

      That's a book, right? It doesn't look like
      Astroamerica.com has it.

      Amazon has it for $16.47

      It's top-notch - a gotta-have-it, like Allen's Star Names

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0939923041/103-2574800-3023815?v=glance&n=283155

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://pw1.netcom.com/~ye-stars/

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2005
        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg"
        <ye-stars@i...> wrote:

        > Mark wrote:
        >
        > http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/ophiuchus.htm
        >
        > Thank you for this site! Great resource, but be aware that
        > many constellation figures are reversed - the old "God's eye view"
        >
        > Ophiuchus, for instance, should be facing front. The way he has it,
        > Beta is the left shoulder, which is incorrect.

        I've added the constellation index page to the links section; it might
        be helpful. Go on looking at other constellation figures, though.

        > (also, Asclepios was not one of the Argonauts -
        > according to Graves' Greek Myths, there is a tradition that
        Aesculapius,
        > the Physician, was on board the Argo, probably caused by a confusion
        with
        > the name of
        > Ascalaphus the Orchomenan, son of Ares)

        Uh-huh.

        > > Staal's New Patterns in the Sky for instance (Staal
        > > was a leading expert in
        > > constellations and their
        > > history)
        >
        > That's a book, right? It doesn't look like
        > Astroamerica.com has it.
        >
        > Amazon has it for $16.47
        >
        > It's top-notch - a gotta-have-it, like Allen's Star Names

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0939923041/103-2574800-3023815?v=glance&n=2
        > 83155

        Thank you.