Re: [thefixedstars] Beta Ophiuchi/Corvus

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
      --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
      wrote:

      > Mark wrote:
      >
      > Ceres
      >
      > > *Kelbalrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
      >
      > http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/KelbAlrai.html
      >
      > Located in Ophiuchus' nose, its name means "the
      > shepherd's dog."
      >
      > Mark, Anne Wright is way off here...Beta is
      > Ophiuchus' right shoulder -

      That's right.

      http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/ophiuchus.htm

      > Staal's New Patterns in the Sky for instance (Staal
      > was a leading expert in
      > constellations and their
      > history)

      That's a book, right? It doesn't look like
      Astroamerica.com has it.

      > =====
      > > South Node
      >
      > > Alchiba (Alpha Corvi)
      > >
      > > *Minkar (Epsilon Corvi)
      >
      > >Means "nostril" (of the Crow).
      >
      > >(By which the Crow smells--smells prey?)
      >
      > Wikipedia has:
      > Minkar ("bill") is the name of the star

      <http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ster

      n&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dminkar%26start%3D60%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLC,GGLC
      > :1969-53,GGLC:en%26sa%3DN> e Corvi

      <http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabe

      _(Sternbild)&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dminkar%26start%3D60%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%
      > 3DGGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en%26sa%3DN> (Epsilon
      > Corvi).
      >
      > Allen (p 181) has, under Alpha (Al Chiba), "Ulug Beg
      > and Arabian astronomers
      > designated
      > it as Al Minhar al Ghurab, the Raven's Beak" -- this
      > is the closest I can
      > get to
      > a source for "Minkar" - but whether it means nostril
      > or bill or beak, who
      > knows? Anyway,
      > if you look at the stars of Corvus, you can see that
      > if there is a beak or
      > "nostril"
      > it would not be Epsilon, but Alpha (Alchiba).

      Yeah, this has Minkar more as the Crow's forehead than
      his beak. (And Tso-Hia, Eta Corvi, is the base of the
      Crow's tail in one figure I saw, but here it's on his
      right wing.)

      http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/corvus.htm

      This site has a good many constellation-based star
      maps, some of which come with pictures of the figures
      the constellations represent.

      http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/constellations.htm

      > By the way, the Aug 20 issue of Science News had, as
      > its cover story,
      > "Nose News, How Birds Use Smell"!

      This page from About.com refers to that article.

      http://birds.about.com/od/birdbehavio1/a/sense_smell.htm

      "[For] many years gas company crews are known to have
      watched for circling turkey vultures to determine
      leaks in gas mains. The smell from the gas mains
      resembles carrion."

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.