Beta Ophiuchi/Corvus

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      Beta Ophiuchi/Corvus

      Mark wrote:

      Ceres

      > *Kelbalrai (Beta Ophiuchi)

      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/KelbAlrai.html

      Located in Ophiuchus' nose, its name means "the shepherd's dog."

      Mark, Anne Wright is way off here...Beta is Ophiuchus' right shoulder - look at any illustration -
      Staal's New Patterns in the Sky for instance (Staal was a leading expert in constellations and their
      history)

      =====
      > South Node

      > Alchiba (Alpha Corvi)
      >
      > *Minkar (Epsilon Corvi)

      >Means "nostril" (of the Crow).

      >(By which the Crow smells--smells prey?)

      Wikipedia has:
      Minkar ("bill") is the name of the star e Corvi (Epsilon Corvi).

      Allen (p 181) has, under Alpha (Al Chiba), "Ulug Beg and Arabian astronomers designated
      it as Al Minhar al Ghurab, the Raven's Beak" -- this is the closest I can get to
      a source for "Minkar" - but whether it means nostril or bill or beak, who knows? Anyway,
      if you look at the stars of Corvus, you can see that if there is a beak or "nostril"
      it would not be Epsilon, but Alpha (Alchiba).

      By the way, the Aug 20 issue of Science News had, as its cover story,
      "Nose News, How Birds Use Smell"!

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://pw1.netcom.com/~ye-stars/

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:

        > Mark wrote:
        >
        > Ceres
        >
        > > *Kelbalrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        >
        > http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/KelbAlrai.html
        >
        > Located in Ophiuchus' nose, its name means "the
        > shepherd's dog."
        >
        > Mark, Anne Wright is way off here...Beta is
        > Ophiuchus' right shoulder -

        That's right.

        http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/ophiuchus.htm

        > Staal's New Patterns in the Sky for instance (Staal
        > was a leading expert in
        > constellations and their
        > history)

        That's a book, right? It doesn't look like
        Astroamerica.com has it.

        > =====
        > > South Node
        >
        > > Alchiba (Alpha Corvi)
        > >
        > > *Minkar (Epsilon Corvi)
        >
        > >Means "nostril" (of the Crow).
        >
        > >(By which the Crow smells--smells prey?)
        >
        > Wikipedia has:
        > Minkar ("bill") is the name of the star

        <http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ster

        n&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dminkar%26start%3D60%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLC,GGLC
        > :1969-53,GGLC:en%26sa%3DN> e Corvi

        <http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabe

        _(Sternbild)&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dminkar%26start%3D60%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%
        > 3DGGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en%26sa%3DN> (Epsilon
        > Corvi).
        >
        > Allen (p 181) has, under Alpha (Al Chiba), "Ulug Beg
        > and Arabian astronomers
        > designated
        > it as Al Minhar al Ghurab, the Raven's Beak" -- this
        > is the closest I can
        > get to
        > a source for "Minkar" - but whether it means nostril
        > or bill or beak, who
        > knows? Anyway,
        > if you look at the stars of Corvus, you can see that
        > if there is a beak or
        > "nostril"
        > it would not be Epsilon, but Alpha (Alchiba).

        Yeah, this has Minkar more as the Crow's forehead than
        his beak. (And Tso-Hia, Eta Corvi, is the base of the
        Crow's tail in one figure I saw, but here it's on his
        right wing.)

        http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/corvus.htm

        This site has a good many constellation-based star
        maps, some of which come with pictures of the figures
        the constellations represent.

        http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/constellations.htm

        > By the way, the Aug 20 issue of Science News had, as
        > its cover story,
        > "Nose News, How Birds Use Smell"!

        This page from About.com refers to that article.

        http://birds.about.com/od/birdbehavio1/a/sense_smell.htm

        "[For] many years gas company crews are known to have
        watched for circling turkey vultures to determine
        leaks in gas mains. The smell from the gas mains
        resembles carrion."

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.