688Re: [thefixedstars] Current fixed star alignments (September 4, 2005)

    Sep 4 6:42 PM
      --- mahtezcatpoc <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

      > Jupiter
      >
      > Mufrid (Eta Bootis)

      in Bootes the Herdsman's left thigh;

      (don't police officers keep their nightsticks strapped
      to their left sides?)

      Mufrid's name is Arabic for "the solitary [star of
      the lancer]"

      > Saturn
      >
      > Azmidiske (Xi Puppis)

      located near the top of Puppis, the Poop Deck of the
      Ship Argo (an elevated spot which might afford a good
      view)

      > Uranus
      >
      > Skat (Delta Aquarii),

      the efforts to help out the disaster victims?

      > Situla (Kappa Aquarii),

      "the bucket"

      > North America Nebula (NGC 7000 Cygni)

      (suffering and destruction)

      > Neptune
      >
      > Alnair (Alpha Gruis),

      (issues of devotion, vigilance and longevity?)

      > Rotanev (Beta Delphini),

      in Delphinus the dolphin's throat (where it makes
      those squeaky sounds that make up dolphin language)

      ("they may be different but they're also entitled to
      respect"[?])

      > Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)
      >
      > Pluto
      >
      > Rasalhague (Alpha Ophiuchi),
      > Atria (Alpha Trianguli Australis)

      (law and order concerns?)

      > Ceres
      >
      > Agena (Beta Centauri),

      "It gives position, friendship, refinement, morality,
      health and honor." (Robson)

      (public health concerns?)

      > Arrakis (Mu Draconis),

      "the dancer"

      (trying to dance away from blame, or pass the buck?)

      > Men (Alpha Lupi)

      marks Lupus the Wolf's tail

      (not just predation, but contempt [i.e., to be crapped
      on]?)

      > Pallas
      >
      > Arcturus (Alpha Bootis)

      (has a reputation for gaining justice through power)

      > Spica (Alpha Virginis)

      (Halliburton is already winning contracts to repair
      Hurricane Katrina damage, and the FEMA director,
      Michael D. Brown, is a crony of Bush's with no
      experience in disaster relief)

      > Nekkar (Beta Bootis)

      Near Bootes' left ear. Supposedly has an influence
      similar to that of Arcturus. The Chinese called it by
      a name meaning "to beckon, excite, or move."

      (My source is Anne Wright's web site.)

      (In cartoons in which a person's evil and good sides
      are talking to him, the evil side is depicted as a
      devil perched on his left shoulder talking into his
      left ear.

      Nekkar = A responsible person or person with
      responsibility listening to bad advice or giving way
      to the lower side of his nature?)

      > Juno
      >
      > Aldebaran (Alpha Tauri)

      "Catastrophe by weather conditions, floods,
      shipwrecks. Acknowledged and leading position, but
      will make enemies through whom danger will threaten.
      Extraordinary energy." (Ebertin)

      > Vesta
      >
      > Mirzam (Beta Canis Majoris),

      Arabic for "the announcer"; could indicate "all talk,
      no action"

      > Furud (Zeta Canis Majoris),

      on the left hind foot of Canis Major the Great Dog;
      the name is Arabic for "the bright single or
      individual stars" or possibly "the apes"

      (a bunch of people all "shining by themselves",
      "making monkeys of themselves"?)

      (New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin complained about "too
      many cooks in the kitchen" in Hurricane Katrina relief
      efforts)

      > Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237 Monocerotis, east of
      > Epsilon Monocerotis in
      > Monoceros the Unicorn's face, a diffuse nebula with
      > an open cluster,
      > NGC 2244, inside it)
      >
      > (I have "gain through responsibility" for the
      > Rosette Nebula)
      >
      > Chiron
      >
      > Alpha Indi

      Located in the feathered tail of the arrow or spear
      Indus the American Indian is holding in his left hand.

      http://www.coldwater.k12.mi.us/lms/planetarium/myth/Indus.html

      Some authorities have linked Indus with an ossified,
      reactionary, often mystical viewpoint.

      BTW: Epsilon Indi, as a nearby star somewhat like the
      Sun (but a lot cooler, as we've since found), has
      historically gotten a lot of attention from
      science-fiction writers and people interested in the
      search for extraterrestrial life. It is the sun of the
      Tellarites' home world in "Star Trek" lore. If you
      ever wanted to know where Epsilon Indi is in Indus,
      it's in the American Indian's right hand; he's holding
      a bunch of arrows in it.

      > North Node
      >
      > Alpheratz (Alpha Andromedae)

      Arabic for "the broken down";

      issues relating to popularity (Bush's?)

      > Alderamin (Alpha Cephei)

      marks the right shoulder of Cepheus the King, but its
      name is Arabic for "the right arm"

      > South Node
      >
      > Tso-Hia (Eta Corvi)

      on the tail of Corvus the Crow.

      Chinese for "the dust of the road." "The dust" seems
      like a good way to describe the way those left behind
      in New Orleans were treated at first.