5394Re: Iceland volcano eruptions

    Apr 18, 2010
      I'm assuming you want everything on my lists. These are everything but the novae and exoplanet stars and most of the deep-sky objects (there seem to be a good many alignments with galaxies on Diana R.'s black hole list).

      Many of these star names are my own coinages (I've put their official designations next to them in parentheses).

      I've marked with arrows the stars that seem to be relevant to this situation.

      First eruption:

      Moon

      --->The Pleiades--

      Alcyone (Eta Tauri)
      Electra (17 Tauri)
      Maia (20 Tauri)
      Asterope (21 Tauri)
      Celaeno (16 Tauri)
      Merope (23 Tauri)
      Taygeta (19 Tauri)

      (a lot of people may not have died, but due to disruptions in medical flights, they might)

      --->Alrai (Gamma Cephei)

      http://constellationsofwords.com/categories/TRAGEDIES.html

      (events that affect a lot of people)

      --->Furibundus (Nu Tauri; Latin = out of one's mind, raving)
      Enceinte (Beta Caeli; French = pregnant)
      Beid (Omicron-1 Eridani)
      Keid (Omicron-2 Eridani)
      Theemin (Upsilon-2 Eridani)
      Miram (Eta Persei)

      Sun

      --->Scheat (Beta Pegasi)

      http://constellationsofwords.com/categories/TRAGEDIES.html

      (airplane accidents--the potential for these, anyway)

      Brolga (Rho Gruis; Kamilaroi Australian Aboriginal = native companion)
      Lucida Sculptoris (Alpha Sculptoris; brightest star in Sculptor)
      Nili Donum (14 Trianguli; Latin = gift of the Nile)
      --->Tsien Ta Tseang (10 Trianguli; Chinese = heaven's great general)

      (people trying to figure out how to deal with the disruption in air traffic)

      Deneb Kaitos Schemali (Iota Ceti)
      Manus Justitia (10 Lacertae; Latin = hand of justice; marks the obsolete constellation by that name)
      Shalish (12 Trianguli; Hebrew = a kind of string instrument which has three sides and three strings)
      Kerb (Tau Pegasi)

      Mercury

      Al Nitham (Phi Ceti; Arabic = pearl necklace [somewhat loosely translated])

      Venus

      Altawk (Theta Ceti)
      Coruscatus (Nu Fornacis; Latin = sparkling, glittering; an unusual color-changing star)
      Kruger 60 (DO Cephei; faint nearby star)
      Ross 248 (HH Andromedae; faint nearby star)
      Babcock's Star (HD 215441 Lacertae)
      --->Gladius Frederici (Iota Andromedae; Latin = sword of Frederick)
      --->Pluma Frederici (Kappa Andromedae; Latin = pen of Frederick)
      (these two stars are part of the obsolete constellation Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick and lie at Andromeda's chained right hand)

      (restrictions)

      UV Ceti (variable star)
      --->Nodus Secundus (Delta Draconis)

      http://constellationsofwords.com/categories/TRAGEDIES.html

      (pollution)

      Mars

      --->Ahadi (Pi Puppis; Arabic = having much promise)

      (no one knows when this will end)

      --->Kou An (Chi Cancri; Chinese = lighthouse, beacon, warning lantern)
      --->Tsi Sin (Mu-2 Cancri; Chinese = piled-up firewood or kindling)

      (something building up for a while?)

      Anwar al-Farkadain (Eta Ursae Minoris; Arabic = the brighter of the two calves)
      Tegmine (Zeta Cancri; Arabic = cover)
      --->Rotten Egg Nebula (OH231.8+4.2 Puppis)

      (sulfurous gases from the volcano, like in the nebula)

      Jupiter

      --->Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

      (crises, difficulties)

      --->Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

      (fire)

      Jih (Kappa Pegasi)

      Saturn

      Asellus Secundus (Iota Bootis)

      Uranus

      Matar (Eta Pegasi)
      --->Sama al Azrak (Pi-2 Cygni; Arabic = the blue sky)

      Neptune

      --->Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; Latin = heart of the Southern Fish; closer to the gills of the Southern Fish than the heart, really, according to Diana S.)

      (concern with air quality)

      --->Tian-He (Omicron Gruis; Chinese = heavenly cranes)

      (airplanes)

      --->Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)

      http://constellationsofwords.com/categories/TRAGEDIES.html

      (hostile to all things in the air)

      Pluto

      Clipeus (Zeta Scuti; Latin = shield)
      Tang (Eta Serpentis; Chinese = Tang imperial dynasty)
      --->We (Alpha Telescopii; Chinese = danger)
      --->Ki (Delta Telescopii; Chinese = sieve)

      (unreliability)

      Tow (21 Sagittarii; Chinese = ladle, measure)
      Kaus Australis (Epsilon Sagittarii)
      Kaus Medius (Delta Sagittarii)

      Eris

      --->Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      (plans wrecked)

      Kui (Zeta Andromedae; Chinese = foot, wild boar[?])
      --->Tien Ke (Theta Andromedae; Chinese = heavenly stable)

      (fleets of airplanes)

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      Ceres

      --->Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      (potential for large numbers of deaths through poisoning, that is, air pollution)

      Spiculum (M-8/M-20/M-21 Sagittarii; the Trifid and Lagoon Nebulae and the open cluster M-21)
      Baraka (Xi Herculis; Arabic = blessed)
      Fellah (67 Ophiuchi; Arabic = peasant)
      Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; faint but well-known nearby star)
      Ramo (95 Herculis; Latin = branch; marks the obsolete constellation by that name)

      Pallas

      Unukalhai (Alpha Serpentis)
      Beelzebub (HD 115211 Muscae; Hebrew = lord of the flies)
      Men (Alpha Lupi)
      SX Herculis (variable star)

      Juno

      Menkar (Alpha Ceti)
      Almach (Gamma Andromedae)
      Cih (Gamma Cassiopeiae; Chinese = whip)
      Oscillatorium (Delta Horologii; Latin = thing that goes back and forth)
      Trinacria (Gamma Trianguli; Greek = three promontories)
      Koleon (Mu Arietis; Coptic = belly, scabbard)
      --->Tianda Jiangjun (Delta Trianguli; Chinese = the celestial general and his subordinates)

      (people trying to cope with the disruption in air traffic)

      Vespa (30 Arietis; Latin = wasp; marks the obsolete constellation by that name)
      Zibal (Zeta Eridani)

      Vesta

      Pherkad Minor (11 Ursae Minoris; Latin = little calf)
      Pherkad (Gamma Ursae Minoris)

      Chiron

      Ibycus (Iota Gruis; Ibycus was a man in Greek mythology whose murderers were exposed by cranes)
      Tsuru (Theta Gruis; Japanese = crane maiden)
      --->Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)

      http://constellationsofwords.com/categories/TRAGEDIES.html

      (hostile to all things in the air)

      North Node

      Al Thalimain Prior (Lambda Aquilae; Arabic/Latin = the first of the two ostriches)
      Maliktous (Delta Pavonis; Kurdish = King Peacock; the name of the chief angel of the Yezidis)

      South Node

      --->Wasat (Delta Geminorum)

      http://constellationsofwords.com/categories/TRAGEDIES.html

      (chemicals, poisons and gas)

      Cor Canis Majoris (Pi Canis Majoris; Latin = heart of the Big Dog)
      Menkelb Prior (Omicron-1 Canis Majoris)
      --->Kaimana (Nu Puppis; Hawaiian = power of the ocean)

      (nature showing people who's boss)

      Ascendant

      Decrux (Delta Crucis)
      Kang (Kappa Virginis; Chinese = a man's neck)
      Hallinan's Star (TVLM 513-46546 Bootis; a brown dwarf and pulsar studied by Irish astronomer Greg Hallinan)
      --->Ma Ti (Lambda Centauri; Chinese = the horse's hooves)

      (a weak point in transportation matters)

      Midheaven

      Regulus (Alpha Leonis)
      Algieba (Gamma Leonis)
      Praecipua Priscus (37 Leonis Minoris; Latin = old Praecipua [Praecipua is Latin for "principal"])
      Larnax (Kappa Pyxidis; Greek = closed box, coffin)
      Ta Tsun (Psi Ursae Majoris; Chinese = meritorious attainment)

      Mark A. Holmes

      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

      > Just a minute.
      >
      > These alignments are calculated for the coordinates of Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Rangarthing Eystra municipality, Iceland (63N38/19W36). I'm getting a UT (GMT) time zone from SolarFire for the nearest town of any consequence, Hvolsvollur, about 20 miles to the northwest of the volcano.
      >
      > I think Eyjafjallajökull is pronounced AY-yah-Fyah-lah-YO-kool (with strong stresses on the first and fifth syllables and a weaker stress on the third, just to try and make this clear).
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull
      >
      > http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull&rlz=1R2DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
      >

      > Mark A. Holmes

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic