4254Re: Eignorance is bliss

    Aug 12, 2008
      World War 1 officially ended at 11 am, november 11, 1918. While in
      the US its now called Veterans day, few people recall its origins.

      They did not have instant communications in that time so cease fire
      was not real time, but a decided upon event.

      MissB

      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Walker" <lawalker@...>
      wrote:

      > Can someone then explain the significance of the two minutes
      silence for the war dead that is observed at 11am on the 11the day of
      the 11th month each year numerically? I realise historically it comes
      from the end of WW1 in 1918 when the Armistice was signed. And that
      the idea came from George V. We still observe it in New Zealand.

      > Regards
      > Lynda

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic