3012Re: Bees-Colony Collapse Disorder-the Beehive Cluster

    Mar 1, 2007
      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Trishmare7@... wrote:

      > That's interesting Mark--because with us, the main problem has
      been
      > honeybees. We even had a colony swarm into an unused room in the
      house once and for
      > days and days afterwards, there were lone bees buzzing in the
      windows and
      > rafters. As a result of the bee troubles, I developed an absolute
      loathing of
      > honeybees (I was getting stung all the time--stepping on a bee
      that had got
      > into the house, sitting on one, etc.) and I can't even say "at
      least they give
      > us honey" because I detest honey as well. Not that I blamed the
      bees--they
      > were just doing what comes natural to bees (and of course they're
      important
      > pollinators). Always used non-lethal methods of getting rid of
      them when that
      > was possible.

      Yeah...I just hope I don't have to deal with Africanized honeybees.
      They are not unknown where I live.

      Husband never got stung, and as I said, Praesepe aligns with
      > his ascendant. (He loves honey--but then, he loves any kind of
      sugar ... Venus
      > is on his Ascendant too ...).
      >
      > Is there a star more closely connected with wasps? (Wasps, I've
      never minded
      > nearly as much as bees).

      I've been looking at some of the stars of the former Musca Borealis
      that Diana R. mentioned. There's probably one in particular I was
      looking at that represents Vespa (the Wasp, another name for this
      obsolete constellation). I bet you it's in my files. I'll look it up
      when I get home.

      I don't have anything at the same longitude (give or take 1 00') as
      either Praesepe or any of the stars in Aries that make up Musca
      Borealis/Vespa, but bees and wasps don't seem to be particularly
      hostile toward me, just a nuisance, like a lot of insects around
      where I live. I guess vitamin B-12 makes me taste bad.

      When I was picking up recyclable cardboard, bees and wasps would
      congregate around the dumpsters where the cardboard was left out for
      pickup. They buzz the cab of my pickup truck, attracted by the
      sugared coffee, iced tea, soda pop and fruit juice I keep in there,
      not to mention the empty aluminum drink cans I collect for recycling
      that I store in the truck bed, and I have to kind of gently chase
      them away. Sometimes the phone lines at my house go haywire because
      wasps have built nests in the box out front where the lines in my
      house connect to the cables that serve the neighborhood, and I just
      had to replace the security floodlight out by my back door. When I
      took it off the wall, I found more little wasp nests built of mud
      nestled inside the mechanism. I hope my cat doesn't get stung
      someday. She looks like she has more sense than to provoke stinging
      insects into attacking her, though.

      Maybe when I moved into the house Praesepe or some other bug-related
      fixed star was active in the chart.

      Mark A. Holmes

      (mailto:thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com)
      > , Trishmare7@, Tri
      > >

      > > Of course Diana! And thanks for all the great information on the
      > Beehive
      > > Cluster. Want to hear something funny? My husband's ascendant
      > is 7°30' Leo,
      > > and we had a 20 year long battle with honeybees making nests in
      > the walls of
      > > our house. Seems like every year we'd have to drive a colony out
      > of yet a new
      > > location. We also have an unusual number (I think it's unusual
      > anyway) of
      > > wasp colonies on our 10 acre horse farm. The wasps I leave
      > alone, as long as
      > > they're not nesting in the house or barn. Would've left the bees
      > alone too,
      > > if they'd have nested somewhere other than the house.
      > >
      > > Love,
      > > Trish

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic