Pyramid of Love

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2002

      Realisation: The Pyramid of Love (Metta)

      My heart was broken once due to unrequited love.
      In a fit of anguish, of false aspiration,
      I gave up "selfish" worldly love of any one single being;
      resolving to love all beings spiritually instead.

      But my heart was closed, stone cold,
      while I imagined it open, warm.
      I was lying to myself,
      that my dispassion to everyone
      was cool calm equanimous compassion for all.

      In lying to myself,
      I did not even love myself,
      much less to say anyone else.
      It is impossible to love anyone else
      when the first glass at the top of the pyramid of love is not filled,
      when its nectar of Metta (Loving-Kindness)
      has yet to overflow to the glasses below.

      YY
      YYY
      YYYY
      YYYYY
      YYYYYY

      The first glass is you.
      Yes- Y is for You.
      The others are all other beings.
      If you search throughout the entire universe,
      you can never find someone more deserving of your love as yourself.
      And this primary love can only be given to you by yourself, nobody else. I

      f you can't even love yourself,
      how can you love anyone else?
      If you can't even love someone else,
      how can you love everybody else?

      At first, our love for ourself might be full of self, conditions, strings attached-
      which is why we need to perfect our love,
      to make it True Love,
      which is why we need to realise the truth of non-self.

      With no self,
      our love easily flows to everybody else.
      When we see no own self and no other selves,
      this undivided world will indeed be embraced in your boundless love.

      But if you have yet to realise non-self,
      or might not wish to (yet),
      as you yearn to find True Love,
      how do you do so?

      The truth is you can never find True Love;
      for it finds you instead.
      In being loving, you attract love.
      In being loving, you are loved.
      Do not seek to be loved perfectly;
      only seek to love perfectly.

      This is the way of the Bodhisattvas.
      This is why we love them,
      for their True Love for us.
      Is it not?
      :-]

      NOTE
      In Buddhism, True Love is the perfection of boundless
      Metta (Loving-Kindness), Karuna (Compassion),
      Mudita (Appreciative Joy) and Upekka (Equanimity) for all beings.
      Collectively, they are called the Brahma Viharas
      (the 4 Sublime States/ Abodes or the 4 Immeasurable Minds)
      Metta is often used to represent all 4 states,
      as it is the easiest and first to be cultivated.
      (See http://asp.thedailyenlightenment.com/specials/lamp/4imm.asp for details.)

      With Metta- shian@...