07.02.14 : Sparrow | Are You Attached To Superstars? | Are The Animals You Eat Blessed? | Strengthening Faith Through The Treatise On Ten Doubts About Pure Land

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2014
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Sparrow

      A hunter saves the sparrow
      That found shelter
      at his chest.

      – Buddhist Saying

      – Comment | More

       Feb & Mar Courses
       Realisation: Are You Attached To Superstars?

      If you idealise the illusory,
      you will beget disappointment,
      as you gravitate towards truth.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      A Buddhist teen asked how he can rid his infatuation towards superstars, such as movie stars and singers. Here is my extended reply to share… You can gradually substitute the subject of focus by learning more about the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, and their teachings. They are not only physically magnificent due to their truly meritorious virtues, with appeal in non-sexual ways, they are also the most spiritually beautiful and inspiring role models we can have. These reflections will help to contrast their lasting greatness versus transient and unenlightened humans' limitations, and motivate us to emulate the first. You can also streamline such mindfulfulness by practising mindfulness of Buddha (e.g. using the name of Amituofo; Amitabha Buddha).

      When it comes to trendy singers, it helps to look objectively at the lyrics of their songs, to realise how they are often very much about overblown emotional agitation, being rather mundane and shallow in substance. There are not many contemporary popular songs that are anywhere near being profound. This should urge you to spend more time on Dharma-learning and practice instead – for progress towards blissful calmness and clarity of greater wisdom, which is so much more beneficial. Even if a pop song is meaningful, to let it play loop indefinitely in your earphones does not help much, although it can help you get tired of it faster!

      Given enough time, sooner or later, due to being constantly in the limelight, both expected and intruded, there tends to be less glamorous images of superstars eventually exposed. (Think some celebrities' mugshots.) You will realise then (if not already), that their glamour is often due to elaborate superficial packaging and make-up to cover flaws – both physically and in character. In short, the glamour is seldom as genuine as it seems. Even some of their publicised words are strategically scripted to maintain or boost their image. Why hanker after the potentially illusory then? Why not prevent disappointment, should reality be otherwise?

      We should not demonise anyone or do fault-finding purposely, but it is proven, and a given these days, that many superstars are 'super' partly because there are super efforts involved in creating their artificial physical images, with every officially released photograph meticulously hairstyled, dressed, posed and photoshopped, even if some have already gone through much plastic surgery. We can also recall how some stars we used to like have since changed, to be older and less attractive. If this is the natural tendency of our fickle attachment to the external and fleeting, why have needless heartache later by clinging to any idealised imagery now?

      Superstars' film and musical personas, that many cling to, are not their true characters. Their real lives could be less interesting. They could be more wonderful too, though fiction is usually more intriguing – which is why we watch movies and listen to songs at all! A truly super superstar would urge their fans to further their compassion and wisdom, while being a good example, instead of merely seeking more fans for more fortune – which would be a waste of fame. That said, we all already have varying degrees of popularity in our communities. We are thus 'stars' too. May we, with mindfulness of Buddha as a guide, shine more brightly with greater compassion and wisdom, to be better spiritual 'superstars' who make the world a better place!

      If you idealise the true,
      you will realise enlightenment,
      as you gravitate towards truth.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      Related Article:

      Are You Mindful Of Your Spiritual Superstar?
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2012/01/are-you-mindful-of-your-spiritual-superstar

      Related Courses:

      Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra (13th Run)
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2013/12/understanding-amituofo-via-the-amitabha-sutra-13th-run
      The Faith Factor: Strengthening Faith Through The Treatise On Ten Doubts About Pure Land (Run 4)
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2013/12/the-faith-factor-strengthening-faith-through-the-treatise-on-ten-doubts-about-pure-land-run-4

      – Shen Shi'an | Comment | More
         Read More in TDE Books | Get TDE Book 6

       Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: Are The Animals You Eat Blessed?

      Bodhisattvas who crave the taste of meat
      weaken their compassion.
      They should abstain!

      – Vajradhara Reting Trichen

      It is sometimes said that when practitioners of the Dharma and especially of the Vajrayana eat meat, their actions are justified because they are creating a connection between the slaughtered animal and the teachings. They are conferring a special benefit on the animal. It is therefore good to eat meat, in quantity and on a regular basis. Shabkar [Tsogdruk Rangdrol] considered this line of reasoning particularly laughable. Like many false but attractive arguments, it is constructed of half-truths. The principle of interdependence, it is urged, is universally applicable and must of necessity be operative in the present case. If it is possible to gain a connection with the Dharma by seeing, hearing, or touching representations of the teaching, it is logical to suppose that an animal gains a connection with the teachings by being eaten by a Dharma practitioner.

      No doubt there is some truth in this contention. But the question that must now be asked is whether the principle is universally applicable and whether, in particular, it is applicable to us. If, given interdependence, it is possible for an animal to be benefited through the consumption of its flesh, much will depend on the status of the consumer – on his or her own connection with the Dharma and on the degree of his or her spiritual attainment. If the person eating the meat is an enlightened being – a Buddha or a great Bodhisattva residing on the ground of realization [not they they really do eat meat] – it is not difficult to suppose that, compared with other animals slaughtered for their meat, the being in question is indeed fortunate.

      But honesty must surely oblige us to admit that, in our case – that of ordinary people, struggling with the practice – "connection with the Dharma" consists of listening to a few teachings, reading a few books, attending an empowerment or two, having the blessed substances placed upon our heads, and trying, when we have time and the mood takes us, to meditate and practice. When all is said and done, our own connection with the teachings is tenuous enough. And if it were to occur to us to wonder about the predicament of the being whose body we are in the process of eating, who of us would be able to even locate its mind in the bardo, let alone lead it to a buddhafield? What possible benefit could conceivably come to an animal by having its flesh eaten by the likes of us – mere aspirants on the path, who are without accomplishment and are of ourselves prisoners of samsara?

      Related Article:
      Quickly Kill To Deliver Me, Please?
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2011/07/quickly-kill-to-deliver-me-please

      Comment More

       Food Of Bodhisattvas: Buddhist Teachings On Abstaining From Meat
       Translators' Introduction (Padmakara Translation Group)
       Links

      Sam & Sara | Get #1 Bestseller

      Mix

      Bad Policies
      Balanced Mind

      Hairy Yet Hairless

      Super Short Stories

      307: Niceness
      306: Eye Contact
      305: Creepiness

      Share Articles: tde@...

       Events & Notices
       Bookmark http://thedailyenlightenment.com/category/06 for faster news
      BUDC: 8/2–12/4: The Faith Factor: Strengthening Faith Through The Treatise On Ten Doubts About Pure Land (Run 4)
      TPBC: 3/3–5/5: Project Rebirth: Rediscover, Reflect, Recharge (Round 8)
      TPBC: 4/3–6/5: Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra (13th Run)
      TPBC: 6/3–15/5: The Heart of 'The Heart Sutra': The Core Of Wisdom (Run 8)

      Kham: Keep The Flame of Buddha-Dharma Burning Bright:
      Support Building Of Monastic Hostel At Palpung Monastery
      VSS: MRT Poster Campaign – The Time Has Come | FAQs | More
      BUDC: From 11/2: Basic Buddhism Course

      To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by contributing articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change (and cancellation) of emails, contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The information within the articles need not represent TDE's views. The copyrights of the articles belong to the authors.