31.05.13 : Resistance | Meet Sam & Sara @ Kinokuniya | New Courses | Double Insurance Of The Buddha's Teachings |

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2013
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Resistance

      No water pressure, no swim.
      No land friction, no walk.
      No air resistance, no flight.

      Stonepeace | Get Books

      - Comment | More

       New Courses From Tomorrow
       Realisation: The Double Insurance Of The Buddha's Teachings

      To learn who rules over you,
      simply find out who
      you are not supposed to criticise.

      - Source uncertain

      At a Buddhist bookshop, I encountered a customer who asked what is a particularly unique feature (among many others) about the Buddha’s teachings. I replied that it is against dogmatic following of scriptures without question. He next asked where this teaching was found, to which I pointed to the Kalama Sutta. Yes, a Buddhist scripture! For a moment, he thought he caught me contradicting what I just said. Well, the teaching that ‘we should not simply adhere blindly to scriptures’ also implies that we should not adhere blindly to this teaching itself, by also questioning if it makes sense!

      But of course, it always makes great sense to intelligently question, both this and all other scriptures (Buddhist or not). This is the foolproof double insurance of the Kalama Sutta! This charter of free enquiry is a self-insured teaching that insures all Buddhist teachings, and against other possibly false teachings! The Buddha never commanded blind acceptance of his words. He is so confident of his teachings that he actively invites all to test them rationally and practically. Historically, he seems to be the only spiritual teacher of a major world religion who teaches this way.

      I wished I had added this piece of advice… If you are on a time-limited quest for truth, which is this life itself, and come across countless schools of thought, each of which claims to be the only true path, except one which confidently and openly welcomes you to doubt and question it, which school of thought would you learn from first? The answer if obvious. You should choose the exceptional one as the quest for truth begins with free enquiry, not blind faith. Paradoxically, the charter of free enquiry makes the Buddha’s teachings much easier to cultivate proper faith in!

      It is impossible to truly negatively criticise
      those open to receiving negative criticism
      for resolving it with compassion and wisdom.

       | Get Books

      Related Articles:

      The Twin Criteria For Rejection & Acceptance
      How Do We Recognise The Wise?
      Kalama Sutta

      Shen Shi'an | Comment | More
        Read More in TDE Books

      Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: The Cruel Fowler

      What you do makes an offering
      of generosity to others,
      you are also making an offering
      of merits to yourself.

      Stonepeace | Get Books

      “Reverend sir (the Buddha), how did it happen that such a monk (Tissa), having the supporting tendencies to attain arahantship, came to have a diseased body? Why did his bones disintegrate? Through what deed in a former birth did he obtain the dispositions requisite for the attainment of arahantship?” – “Monks, all these things happened solely because of deeds he committed in a previous existence.” – “But, reverend sir, what did he do?” – “Well then, monks, listen.

      In the dispensation of the Buddha Kassapa, Tissa was a fowler. He used to catch birds in large number, and most of these he served to royalty. Most of those he did not give to royalty he used to sell. Fearing that if he killed and kept the birds he did not sell, they would rot, and desiring to prevent his captive birds from taking flight, he used to break their leg-bones and wing-bones and lay them aside, piling them in a heap. On the following day he would sell them…

      One day, when well-flavoured food had been cooked for him, a monk who was an arahant stopped at the door of his house on his round for alms. When Tissa saw the elder, he made his mind serene and thought, “I have killed and eaten many living creatures. A noble elder stands at my door, and an abundance of well-flavoured food is in my house. I will therefore give him alms.” So he took the monk’s bowl and filled it, and having given him well-flavoured food, saluted the monk respectfully and said: “Reverend sir, may I obtain the highest fruit of the Dhamma you have seen.” Said the elder in his words of rejoicing, “So be it.” (End of Story of the Past.) “Monks, it was through the meritorious deed Tissa then did that this fruit accrued to him. It was because he broke the bones of birds that his body became diseased and his bones disintegrated. It was because he gave well-flavoured food to the arahant that he attained arahantship.”

      Comment More

      A Treasury Of Buddhist Stories From The Dhammapada Commentary
      Translated By E.W. Burlingame

      Sam & Sara | Book Signing | Get Book

      393: Drama
      394: Expectation
      395: Already Done
      396: Easiness
      397: Guarantee

      Share Articles: tde@...

       Events & Notices
      See http://thedailyenlightenment.com/category/06 for faster & latest news

      ODS: 22-23/6: Dharma Teachings by Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche * 佛法讲座 - 尊贵的桑杰年巴仁波切Dharma Teachings (June 2013) by Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche * 佛法讲座 - 尊贵的桑杰年巴仁波切
      BCC/SBWS: Meditation Retreat

      TDE: 8/6: Meet
      Sam&Sara @ Kinokuniya Orchard

      TPBC: 6/7-7/9:
      The Faith Factor: Strengthening Faith Through TheTreatise On Ten Doubts About Pure Land (Run 3)
      TPBC: From 4/7: The
      48 Great Vows Of Amituofo: Boundless Blessings For This Life & The Next (Run 3)
      TPBC: 2/7-3/9:
      Project Samsara: Buddhist Perspectives Of 101 Life Situations
      TPBC: 1/7-2/9:
      Project Rebirth: Rediscover, Reflect, Recharge (Round 7)

      TPBC: 6-27/6:
      Dharma@Camera: Visions Thru The Objective Lens
      TPBC: 1-22/6:
      Project Patience: How To 'Fight' The Fire Of Anger
      TPBC: 3-24/6:
      Project Transformation: The 8 Verses Of Thought Transformation

      TDENew English-Chinese Translation Of Guanshiyin Bodhisattva's Universal Door Chapter & The Prajna Paramita Heart Sutra | Amitabha Sutra

       TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.

      Sam&Sara is Currently In Kinokuniya's Top Ten Bestseller List In Its Category!

      About Boo
      As featured in this comic strip collection of their 100 (mis)adventures, ‘Sam and Sara’ is subtle, direct, zany, zenny, quirky, unpredictable, playful, counterintuitive, philosophical… about the infinite complexities, contradictions and tensions of life. Their experiences are funny, yet not just for laughs, as they are also about our misperceptions of reality, and how we can become kinder and wiser in everyday life. As each episode is self-contained, in a sense, they are the essential nuggets of unconventional wit and wisdom that we look forward to when reading novels and watching movies!

      Get Book:
      Book Reviews:

      Register : tinyurl.com/dabeiclass
      Praise For Classes : tinyurl.com/praiseforclass (scroll after click)