23.03.13 : Moods | Comments On 3 More Sayings From ' The Stonepeace Book: 2′ | The Sage, The Lady, And The Fish | Slipping Sands

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2013
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Moods

      Why affect others
      with your bad moods?

      Why be affected
      by others’ bad moods?

      Stonepeace | Get Books

      - Comment | More

       New Chinese-English Amitabha Sutra Book
       Realisation: Comments On Sayings From 'The Stonepeace Book: 2

      As you can only have one thought in each moment, you only have to take care of your mind in this moment. This is how mindfulness is practised from moment to moment, for all moments.

      Stonepeace | Get Books

      'The sure way to know if a person
      has the good karma to be helped
      is to help the person.'

      Commentary: Sometimes, we hesitate helping others who are less fortunate or even evil, giving the rationalised excuse that their misfortune is simply due to them living our their negative karma, or that the misguided will most likely be unrepentant of their ill ways. This hinders the arising, growth and expression of our compassion – to help relieve others’ suffering, and to guide others to do good – for the good of one and all. Instead of pointlessly speculating if others have enough good karma to receive assistance from anyone or not, we should simply do what we can to help them personally. In many cases, our earlier apathetic or judgemental attitudes will be proven wrong, because many can indeed be helped! If so, we might as well be the conditions through which they receive help. Although help should be given unconditionally, helping gladly, we do attain joy and merits too.

      'Obstacles are so
      only when not overcome
      as stepping stones for advancement.’

      Commentary: While the definition of an ‘obstacle’ is something troublesome that obstructs our forward advancement on the journey to worldly success or True Happiness, this perspective should not be cast in stone. Obstacles are as defined above only when they are not crossed over. If we cling to seeing obstacles as being fixed, substantial and unsurmountable, we will forever be unable to advance to our goals. However, if we learn to see and treat each and every obstacle on our path to be mere stepping stones towards success, as big and small milestones to mark our way forth, the original definition of obstacles will disappear. This is how an obstacle truly becomes a non-obstacle. So-called obstacles on our path are simply training stations for furthering our resolve to persevere with more right effort.

      ‘When one becomes the selfless source
      of True Happiness for others,
      one will never run out of it for one”self”.’

      Commentary: Most of us openly or secretly hope others (the more the merrier!) will selflessly become the sources of our lasting happiness. Such unrealistic expectations lead us to futilely seek or anticipate True Happiness externally, in relationships with others who might be just as inadequate (or not totally adequate), in accumulaton of material things, and in clinging to fleeting pleasurable experiences. If, however, we become less self-centred or self-serving, and practise the Buddha’s teachings to actualise compassion and realise wisdom in ways as selfless as possible, to serve other beings by guiding them to True Happiness that the Buddha attained instead, we will never be exhausted of happiness ourselves – while we will also naturally advance towards True Happiness.

      For 197 more sayings, get ‘The Stonepeace Book: Vol 1 & 2′ at TDE Store: www.TheDailyEnlightenment/com/store

      Launch Of Stonepeace Books | Reviews | Introduction |Stonepeace? | Trailers | Contents | Gallery

      Treasure the bearers of unpleasant truths because bitter medicine often holds the cure for the disease of complacency, as in the case of the Buddha, who taught the First Noble Truth of suffering, the realisation of which is the first step towards liberation from it.

      Stonepeace | Get Books

      Comment | More
        Read More in TDE Books

      Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: The Sage, The Lady, And The Fish

      Although we have both grudges and gratitude
      linked to one another in the rounds of rebirth,
      it is by focusing on gratitude that grudges dissolve.

      Stonepeace | Get Books

      In the fifth century B.C. lived an enlightened monk, venerable in wisdom and years, named Katyayana. He was an arhat, a liberated being, free from the vicious cycle of birth and death known as Samsara. Renowned among Buddha’s disciples for his prescience, he rarely displayed it except as an aid to his teachings. Katyayana, through his miraculous powers and abilities, could have produced whatever he wished or needed. However, like Lord Buddha himself, he chose to join the other monks of the order in collecting their daily alms.

      One day Katyayana, while pursuing his daily round for alms, encountered a woman seated in front of her house, dandling a small child on her lap. She was eating a fish, whose bones she threw to the barking dog hovering nearby. When the dog became too insistent, the woman gave him a kick. Confronting the scene, the kindly old arhat – much to the woman’s surprise – suddenly burst into laughter. Then he chanted:

      “Devouring the flesh of one’s father,
      kicking one’s mother;
      chewing the bones of one’s father
      while nursing one’s enemy upon one’s breast –
      What a gigantic melodrama, what a spectacle
      is this magical illusory wheel of Samsara!”

      The clairvoyant monk clearly perceived that the baby in the woman’s arms was the reincarnation of her recently deceased enemy, the fish between the teeth was the rebirth of her late father, the dog her own recently deceased, often mourned mother reborn… Unconsciously, she was eating the flesh of her own father, tossing his bones to her mother, and kicking the latter’s recently assumed canine form, while unknowingly succoring her former enemy at her breast.

      Opined the sagacious old arhat, “Thus is that the wondrous wheel of cyclic existence, like a waterwheel, endlessly turns – refilling its buckets again and again, ceaselessly emptying and replenishing itself.” Who knows from whom the meat on our table has been butchered, whose bones we chew upon?

      Comment More

      The Snow Lion’s Turquoise Mane:
      Wisdom Tales From Tibet

       Links

      Super Short Story

      (198) Kid

      Mix

      Saved By God?
      Sinkhole Theory
      Vinegar Story?
      Fishy Mondo?
      Slipping Sands
      Four Kinds of Music

      Share Articles: tde@...

       Events & Notices
      See http://thedailyenlightenment.com/category/06 for faster & latest news

      DDS: 2/4: 念佛生淨土
      DDS: 4-6/4: 清明报恩佛三
      DDS: 23/3: Movie-Sharing: The Lorax

      TDENew English-Chinese Translation Of Guanshiyin Bodhisattva's Universal Door Chapter & The Prajna Paramita Heart Sutra | Amitabha Sutra

       TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.