04.05.12 : Suffering Vs Blessings | Two Proven Pain-Free Solutions For Meditators | Suffering Within Suffering, Decay & Process | Guanyin Bodhisattva: From Seeking To Becoming Compassion

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2012
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Suffering Vs Blessings

      To experience suffering is to end suffering.
      To enjoy blessings is to exhaust blessings.

      - Buddhist Saying

      受苦是了苦,
      享福是消福.

      (When we face inevitable sufferings bravely, they will end. When we indulge in pleasures complacently, they will end. The Middle Way is to make the best of our suffering, while treasuring our blessings best we can.)

      - Comment | More

       TDE Book 5 Is Here
       Realisation: Two Proven Pain-Free Solutions For Meditators

      The only good about suffering
      is that it reminds us
      that it is good to rise above it.

      Stonepeace

      A recurring problem for many beginner meditators (and those who practise chanting, which is essentially a meditative practice too) is that of physical pain, especially for those who practise seated crossed-legged. (A chair can be used though, for cases where sitting on the floor proves too difficult.) Aches in the legs can be so serious that not only do they make it agonising to sit long, they can be a terrible source of distraction from the actual meditation, as one fidgets indefinitely. The following are two seemingly opposite yet equally effective remedies for dissolving pain to share. Unrelenting mindfulness and determination is needed though – at least enough of them, until the pain subsides. Ironically, to overcome pain either way is also practice of meditation – to transform the 'enemy' of pain into an ally for training calmness, concentration and clarity of mind.

      '"Care" Not About The Pain' is what I call the first method. If your meditation method is not Vipassana (which includes watching the rise and fall of sensations), just maintain your mindfulness on your original subject of meditation. For example, it could be your breathing, or the name of Amitabha Buddha (Amituofo – which connects to his blessings for healing the pain). As the mind can only be at one 'place' at a time in each thought moment, the fact that you are feeling the pain means your mindfulness has already drifted off, or is repeatedly straying away from the subject of meditation, gravitating towards the pain, toggling to-and-fro rapidly. What the mind does not 'mind', it does not mind – and the body will not feel it. In fact, in meditation practice, unless it requires focus on parts of your body, you should not feel the burden of your body (with its pains), as you are supposed to be working with your mind only.

      '"Care" About The Pain' is what I call the second method, as based on Vipassana (insight) meditation. Watch any pain at arises mindfully… but do not magnify it with frustration or imagination. Just watch it as it is, with all its changing, possibly throbbing forms, until it disappears… without a trace. This will seem surprisingly faster than you thought it would be. Paradoxically, the key is patience. The pain will disappear because all sensations that rise eventually will fall, even if they fluctuate for a while.The key is to make peace with the pain, so as to accept it from moment to moment, so as to see its workings clearly. It is amazing how acceptance instantly creates peace of mind. In contrast, fret over physical pain aggravates it mentally, making it seemingly constant and longer lasting. The Buddha likens this to shooting oneself with an arrow of suffering when already shot once by pain!

      Do use the first method if you do not wish to shift your mindfulness away from your original meditation subject (if not practising Vipassana then). However, it is intriguing to see the moment pain dissipates in the light of mindfulness. There is a great sense of relief, surprise and joy when you catch a glimpse of the truth of impermanence. It is no longer theory merely agreed with in principle, but experienced! Do you recall the very moment your last headache disappeared? Probably not, due to the lack of mindfulness – but it definitely did disappear, or your head would still hurt! As the second method trains our patience, it increases our ability to rise above discomfort.True tolerance is without any thought of tolerating. Watch the pain unflinchingly and you will realise it to be unsubstantial and tolerable. As they say about life, 'Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional!'

      If you do not make
      'something' of your suffering,
      you literally suffer for 'nothing'.

      Stonepeace

      Related Courses:
      The Faith Factor: Treatise On Ten Doubts About Pure Land
      The 48 Great Vows Of Amituofo: Boundless Blessings For This Life & The Next

      Related Articles:
      Why Shoot Ourselves With Extra Arrows?
      Comparison Of Pure Land Practice With Samatha & Vipassana Meditation (On Deathbed)

      Shen Shi'an | Comment | More
        Read More in TDE Books

      Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: Suffering Within Suffering, Decay & Process

      Refuge only in the worldly and material,
      in clothing, food, lodging, wealth…
      eventually leads to suffering,
      when one is forced to part from them in death,
      when one has no greater refuge in the spiritual.

      Stonepeace

      An example of Suffering within Suffering is to be penniless and also without any food to eat or any place to live. This suffering is experienced by poor people. Lacking the very necessities of life, they cannot even find work. This kind of suffering is not easy to bear. But wealthy people suffer even more. They experience the Suffering of Decay.

      Having money, they have to continuously calculate about it. "I'll put this much in the bank. I'll take this much out and put it into a business venture. I'll take that much…" and on it goes like that all day long. They keep on counting their money until their hair turns white, their teeth fall out, their eyes stop working, and their ears go deaf. But then trouble comes. The robbers get their number. They break in at night and pick the safe clean. [Editor: Wealth can lead to welfare of one and many too, but becomes problematic when clung to without generosity or used without wisdom.]

      People in poverty get accustomed to their suffering, but when the Suffering of Decay hits wealthy people, they can't take it. It's very bitter. Well, then, if you're neither rich nor poor, there's no suffering, right? There's still suffering: the Suffering of Process. Everyone goes through the process of ageing. From youth, people pass into middle age, and then become old. Once they're old, they die. This process never stops. It continues with every passing thought.

      Related Course:
      The Universal Door of Guanyin Bodhisattva

      Comment More
      The Wonderful Dharma Lotus Flower Sutra (Volume 15)
      Chapter 25: The Universal Door of Guanshiyin Bodhisattva
      A Simple Explanation by Venerable Master Hsuan Hua
       Links

      Mix

      Eat Me, Deliver Me?
      Honest Forthright Persons
      Good & Evil-Knowing Advisors
      About MaitriPals
      Dharma Class Scheduling Koan
      Premarital Sex
      Dharma Enthusiasm

      On Whining
      How Not To Teach (2)
      How Not To Teach (1)
      What's The Next Winning Number?
      Just One Lifetime Away
      Literal Or Figurative

      Tit For Tat (Sam & Sara: Upcoming Comic Book)

      (358) Being Assertive
      (357) Heavy Rain

      Share Articles: tde@...

       Events
      View or subscribe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dharmanews/messages for faster & latest news
      Talks & Classes | Special Events

      FOSAS: 15-27/5: Ven Chodron's Teaching Program & Retreat
      AP: 3/7-21/8: The Universal Door Of
      Guanyin Bodhisattva: From Seeking To Becoming Compassion
      Jakarta: 7-8/7:
      The Heart of 'The Heart Sutra' (Run 6)
      TPBC: 2/7-20/8: The
      48 Great Vows Of Amituofo: Boundless Blessings For This Life & The Next (2nd Run)
      TPBC: 5/7-13/9:
      The 'Magic' Of Zen: Origins, Legends & Essence (Run 2)
      TPBC: 14/7-15/9: The Faith Factor:
      Strenghtening Faith Through 'The Treatise on Ten Doubts About Pure Land'
      DDS: From 4/5: Basic Meditation Class
      WAY: Vesak, Sharing (Ajahn Dtun), Meditation (Ajahn Suthep), Talks (Ajahn Vimokkha)
      PWBC: Vesak Celebrations
      BDMS: Vesak Events
      RBS: 2 Courses
      DDS: Events | 5/5: 大悲忏仪式与意义
      TC: Updates | World Peace Interfaith Prayer
      FGS: Updates
      [CASonlineHello Phuntsok Cho Ling!

      Youth
      DDS: Youth Activities
      Pujas, Initiations, Offerings & Retreats
      STL: Grand Vesak Celebration
      ZKBF: From 1/6: Zurmang Gharwang Rinpoche: 100 Deities & Zambala Grand Puja
      Misc
      Little Gems Kindergarten: 12 & 26/5: Open House Talks
      More Events
       after 4/5
      Events/Notices RSS | World
       Notices
      Misc
      VSS15/4: Latest Newsletter
      KMS: Counselling Service
      Volunteers
      SBCF: Dharma Volunteers for Inmates
      Jobs
      More Notices after 4/5
       To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
       TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.