06.07.11 : How Is Compassion Great? | Are You Sure You Closed The Window? | Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra | The Middle Way Between Hedonism & Asceticism | The Love & Loss Of 'Norwegian Wood'

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2011
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: How Is Compassion Great?

      Great compassion is great
      not only because
      there is concern for great matters,
      but for 'lesser' ones too.

      - Stonepeace | Comment | More

       Get TDE Book 1, 2, 3, 4
       Realisation: Are You Sure You Closed The Window?

      If you are not
      in the here and now,
      you are lost.

      - Stonepeace

      After I had left the house, I wondered if I had closed the remaining open window. As I was unsure, I returned to check. And there it was – closed. As I left the house again, I wondered when I closed it, as I couldn't remember. I must have closed it, that I'm absolutely sure of, for there was no one else in, and it was open before. Why am I not absolutely sure of when I closed it then? I must have sleepwalked to close it, closing it personally, yet not closing it mindfully, going through the automated habitual motion. No, I don't mean I literally walked asleep, but that in essence, it was similar. When we go through the 'rituals' of life in a mechanical manner, lacking presence of mind, it is as good as sleepwalking. More examples include checking doors and the gas!

      I was obviously there to close the window, or I couldn't have closed it, yet while it was being closed, my mindfulness wasn't there in the moment – which is why the moment of closing it wasn't registered in memory upon hindsight. Having to return to check the window was actually a needless minor cycle of rebirth. We are reborn time and again from life to life in Samsara precisely because we lack mindfulness in firmly realising and registering the lessons of life and death. There must be many missed opportunities. As such, we are forced to return, to relearn how to break free from the Samsara. Whether we are diagnosed with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) or not, rebirth is already our 'OCD'! Mindfulness is the cure for the disease of meaningless repeated forces of habit.

      We need to train our minds to be sharper, with greater mindfulness and insight – not just for mastering the Dharma, but for mastering everyday life matters too. In fact, there is no separation, for the Dharma is exactly for application in everyday life. This would include mundane stuff like closing windows and locking doors! Mindfulness can be systematically trained through meditation practices. Even chanting done properly is a meditative practice. Then again, even mustering our mindfulness to more deeply see and feel a window handle can be meditative. There is truly no separation between the Dharma and Samsara. All the Dharma we need to master is in the midst of Samsara. Even the beings in Pure Lands peer and venture into Samsara to master the Dharma!

      Pure Lands are for training us,
      to peer at Samsara from a safe distance,
      before returning better qualified to liberate beings from it.

      - Stonepeace

      Shen Shi'an | Comment | More
        Read More in TDE Book 4

      Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: The Middle Way Between Hedonism & Asceticism

      Birth in the heavens might be supremely hedonistic.
      Birth in the hells might be supremely ascetic.
      Birth in the Pure Lands is supremely the Middle Way.

      Stonepeace

      In India at the time the Buddha's time, there was a belief that the purpose of life was to enjoy as much sensual pleasure as possible. Sensual pleasures are of course enjoyed through the sense faculties. This ability to experience pleasure through the senses gives rise to the five desires [for wealth, sex, fame, food and sleep]. In this hedonistic view, failing to fulfill the five desires results in unhappiness. In reality, however much we may crave and pursue pleasure, we can never completely satisfy the five desires. Therefore the result of constantly pursuing pleasure is vexation, not happiness and joy. Furthermore, this behavior ultimately causes conflict with others, producing more vexation. The sutras describe this kind of conduct as that of ordinary beings, not sages or saints.

      Also prevalent in India at the time was the opposite view, that to become pure, one needs to undergo extreme pain and suffering – the more pain, the purer one becomes. Some ascetics had themselves buried in the earth up to their necks; others would immerse themselves underwater for long periods of time, or hang upside down from a tree. Even today, in mainland China I saw one person who wore a very heavy coat in summer but very little in winter in order to inflict suffering on his body. In Taiwan I saw another person staring directly into the sun for hours. I asked him, "Why are you doing this?" He said that by staring at the sun he was burning off bad karma. If such people think they can gain liberation through [extreme] asceticism, then a furry dog running around on hot summer days can get liberated too.

      Shakyamuni Buddha said that if following the path means suffering, the fruit will inevitably be more suffering. Inflicting suffering and pain on oneself will not result in liberation. Furthermore, the pains that ascetics inflict on themselves are not necessarily connected to the vexations they are trying to eliminate, and inflicting pain on one's body does not necessarily ease mental suffering. The Buddha therefore taught that the Noble Eightfold Path is the Middle Way between the opposing extremes of hedonism and asceticism. One needs the basic necessities of life in order to practice, but on the other hand, one should not merely pursue pleasure for its own sake. So if one is guided by the Noble Eightfold Path, one will naturally practice the Middle Way.

      Comment More
      Things Pertaining To Bodhi: The Thirty-Seven Aids To Enlightenment
      Chan Master Sheng Yen
      Get it at Amazon
       Links

      Movies

      Terminator: One Timeline
      Red Riding Hood
      The Love & Loss Of 'Norwegian Wood'

      Tit for Tat

      (321) Disappointment

      Mix

      Karmic Disaster
      For Whom the Sun Shines
      Buddha Flower Haiku
      Beginning of Bodhicitta
      More or Less a Paradox?
      Time-Travel Paradox
      His Bipolar Swinging

      Music

      I'll Be Better After Lonely For A While

      Share Articles: tde@...
       Events
       View or subscribe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dharmanews/messages for faster & latest news
      Talks & Classes | Special Events

      [TPBC] 7/7-1/9: The 'Magic' of Zen: Origins, Stories & Essence (Shen Shi'an)
      [AP] 6/9-8/11:
       Project Rebirth: Rediscover, Reflect, Recharge (Round 3)
      [DDM] 29-30/7: Talks: 生病了怎么办?, 说再见的方式
      [BMWS] From 4/9:
      Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra (8th Run in Sg & Id) (Shen Shi'an)
      [ABC] 26/8-4/9: HH the Dalai Lama Teachings at Dharmasala
      [TPBC] 16/7: Talk: How to Dilute your Dark Kamma
      Sinema: 16 & 22/7: Free Screening of 'The Buddha' Animated Film
      [RBS] From 21/8: Introduction to Pali
      [BF] Jul Program
      [TBC] 30/8-1/9: Southeast Asia Teaching (By His Holiness the Dalai Lama)|
      [TaraBC] 24-28/7: Teachings by Ven Geshe Lhakdor at Tara Buddhist Centre
      [A-BC] From 1/8: Dhamma Classes for Adults & Children

      [TC] Recycling, Blood Donation, Volunteer Trg, Da Ai TV Promo
      [MV] 9/7: Theravada Diploma in Buddhism 2011/2012
      [FGS] Updates
      [DDS] Events
      [KMS] Updates
      [PMT] Jun-Aug Activities | Guanyin Symposium
      [TDE] Get
      TheDailyEnlightenment Books 1,2,3,4 (Reflections For Practising Buddhists)

      Youth
      [DDS] Youth Activities
      [KMS] Youth Activities
      [NTUBS] 18-21/7: Camp Nirvana
      [NUSBSWeekly] What's on this week
      Pujas, Initiations & Retreats
      [PL] 13-19/8: 7-Day Pureland Retreat
      [KS] Meditation retreat and Mandarin Dhamma Talks by Venerable Konghai
      [DKOC] July Updates | Rabsang Rinpoche's Dharma Program
      [DTDL] White Tara Retreat and Nagas Vase Offering| Teaching of Gampopa's TheJewel Ornament of Liberation
      Misc
      [KMS] From 6/8: How Can I Help You? Basic Helping Skills Workshop
      [SBF] By 30/11: Project 11: In aid of the Prostheses Foundation

      More Events after 5/7
      Events/Notices RSS | World
       Notices
      Misc
      [WSD] Support The Meritorious Bodhgaya DVD Project | More
      [VSS1/7: Latest Newsletter
      [KMS] Counselling Service
      Sg: The Fastest Way to Say No to Pushy Preachers (Happy Buddhist Card)
      [PKS] Clarifications of Video Misconceptions on Buddhism | Detailed Version
      Sg: How to Bust Bogus Monastics in Singapore
      Sg: Asked to Change Religion? Here's Help

      Sg: Practical Tips to Say ‘No’ to Religious Proselytism
      Volunteers
      [SBCF] Dharma Volunteers for Inmates
      Jobs
      [STL] Counter Admin Clerk and Accounts Clerk
      [Little Bodhi Student Care CentreCentre Supervisor
      [KMS] Vacancies
      More Notices after 5/7
       To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
       TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.