02.12.10 : Perfect Dharma Practice | Story of the Needle Versus the Knife | How A Loving Father Rejected His Son | Ubuntu for Humanity & Buddhahood

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Perfect Dharma Practice

      To know if you
      have perfected a Dharma practice,
      keep practising the Dharma perfectly.

      - Stonepeace | Comment | More

       TDE Facebook & Twitter
       Realisation: The Story of the Needle Versus the Knife

      When empathy arises, apathy falls away.
      When compassion arises, cruelty falls away.

      - Stonepeace
      While having a vegetarian lunch with Geshe Dorji Damdul (an appointed translator of H.H. the Dalai Lama) last Sunday with the good company of Dharma friends, the strictly vegetarian Venerable shared an interesting account of how he urged someone at a hospital to turn vegetarian instantly. Once, during a medical check-up, there was the need to insert a long needle into his lungs from the chest. Despite there being anesthesia used to minimise the discomfort, there was still intense pain felt. What made it more frightening was that a wrong insertion would warrant another – till the position is just right. After the procedure, as there was remnant pain, he had to lie down to rest for a while. A nurse was tending to him, with whom he chatted.

      He remarked that the pain made him think about how much more pain animals have to suffer when they are being slaughtered for human consumption. What he experienced was just the prick of a single thin needle point, and it was already very difficult to endure. How much more horrifically painful it must be, for, say, chickens, who gets their throats slashed with a butcher knife… without any anesthesia! He must have shared his sentiments in a very sincere and heartfelt manner, because the nurse promised him to become a lifelong vegetarian on the spot! Geshela’s relating of his personal pain to the immeasurable pain of many other animals was compassionate indeed, as most would only be wallowing in their misery in such a situation.

      The needle versus knife comparison is a powerful one – because many meat-eating friends already know, but are unfortunately numb, to the truth that animals are killed for their meats to be possible. While they might not be able to easily imagine how they are killed, which might be very ‘abstract’ to them, they can surely imagine the unbearable pain of the long needle, when they see Geshela grimace in pain to illustrate it. He ended the story perfectly, just as I hoped, by asking a non-vegetarian friend present, if he would still eat animals. Visibly shaken by the story, Geshela might just have gotten another instant vegetarian convert! I sincerely hope Geshela (and those present, which includes you now!) will share the story with more. In fact, I’m sending this article to him as the request!

      What difference does it make to the animals,
      who you do not kill them personally,
      who you pay others to kill for you instead?

      - Stonepeace

      Related Article:
      The Buddha's Real Views on Meat-Eating
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2010/07/the-buddha’s-real-views-on-meat-eating

      Shen Shi'an | Comment | More
        Read More in TDE Book 4

      Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: How A Loving Father Rejected His Son

      When one ignores the truth,
      one clings to delusion.

      - Stonepeace

      The Buddha told the story of a merchant, a widower, who went away in a business trip and left his little boy at home. While he was away, bandits came and burned down the whole village. When the merchant returned, he didn’t find his house, it was just a heap of ash. There was the charred body of a child close by. He threw himself on the ground and cried and cried. He beat his chest and pulled his hair. The next day, he had the little body cremated. Because his beloved son was his only reason for existence, he sewed a beautiful velvet bag and put the ashes inside. Wherever he went, he took that bag of ashes with him. Eating, sleeping, working, he always carried it with him.

      In fact, his son had been kidnapped by the bandits. Three months later, the boy escaped and returned home. When he arrived, it was two o’clock in the morning. He knocked on the door of the new hose his father had built. The poor father was lying on his bed crying, holding the bag of ashes, and he asked, ‘Who is there?’ ‘It’s me, Daddy, your son.’ The father answered, ‘That’s not possible. My son is dead. I’ve cremated his body and I carry his ashes with me. You must be some naughty boy who’s trying to fool me. Go away, don’t disturb me!’ He refused to open the door, and there was no way for the little boy to come in. The boy had to go away, and the father lost his son forever.

      After telling the story, the Buddha said, ‘If at some point in your life you adopt an idea or a perception as the absolute truth, you close the door of your mind. This is the end of seeking the truth. And not only do you no longer seek the truth, but even if the truth comes in person and knocks on your door, you refuse to open it. Attachment to views, attachment to ideas, attachment to perceptions are the biggest obstacle to the truth.’

      Comment | More
      The Art of Power
      (Thich Nhat Hanh)
      Get it at Awareness Place or Amazon
      AwarenessPlace
       Links

      Dharma Plus

      Ubuntu for Humanity & Buddhahood
      Dreamlike But Not a Dream
      The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

      Some Stonepeace Quotes
      Realistic Instead of Blindly Optimistic
      Middle Path of Birth & Non-Birth
      Anger Management Tips

      Dharma Lite

      Deep Sea Karma
      Free Will Logic
      A Fool Too
      Ego Trip & Fall
      You're Hot & You're Cold
      Taiji Lesson #6

      Comix

      Wolverine: Extension of What?

      Superman is Clark

      A Tit For A Tat

      (182) Say It More Clearly

      Share Articles: tde@...
       Events
       View or subscribe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dharmanews/messages for faster & latest news
      Talks & Classes | Special Events
      [PJS] From 16/1: Basic Buddhism Course (20 English Lessons)
      [PJS] From 16/1: Basic Meditation Course (20 English Lessons)
      [SLT] From 16/1: Pali Chanting Class
      [SLT] From 15/1: Guided Meditation Practice
      Sg: 9-12/12: Heart Sutra Teachings
      [BF] 9/12: Ajahn Brahm Talk: Creation Vs Evolution (Get TDE Book 4) | Dec Program
      [KYCL] Nov-Jan Activities
      [TCEnglish Sharing, Talk, Volunteer Training, Blood Donation, Suntec Exhibition, Recycling Day, Year-end Blessing
      [CAS] Last Word Before Sri Lanka | Gods
      [TMC] Nov-Dec: Meditation & More
      [KMS] 24/12-1/1: Novitiate Program
      [TheDailyEnlightenmentTDE Book 4 Available @ Awareness Place (BBC flr 3)
      Youth
      [DDYS] 22-27/12: Youth Meditation Retreat
      [KMS Youth] 9 & 23/12: Modern Buddhist Pilgrims, Spring-clean Your Mental Home
      [SBM] 17-20/12: Fun Ehi-passiko Youth Camp
      [BF] 17-20/12: Mega Youth Camp | 29-31/12: Junior Camp
      [NUSBSWeekly] What's on this week!
      [NUSBS] 6-10/12: Camp: Wise Up! Be a Lamp Upon Yourself!
      Pujas, Initiations & Retreats
      [DDM] 28/11-5/12: Shuilu Fahui Online
      Sg: 1-2/1: Green Tara Retreat (H.E. Khamtrul Rinpoche)
      [MBM] 24/11-5/12: Ulka Mukha Ceremony
      [DKOC] Nov Program | Dec Program
      Sg: 1-2/1: New Year Green Tara Retreat
      [ODS]: 25-28/12: 100 Million Mani Recitation Retreat | More | Online Pledge | Car Pool
      [KMS] 9-15/12: Shulu Fahui | About the Puja
      [KMS] 2/1: Alms Offering to the Sangha
      Misc
      [AP] Vegetarian Health Series, Family Yoga Fun Workshop, Ideal Weight Management
      [PKS] Enrichment Programs

      Chinese Events
      More Events after 2/12
      Events/Notices RSS | World
       Notices
      Misc
      Sg: Vegetarian Confinement Nanny & Room to Rent Needed
      SgFree Sutras Mailed to You | Free Namo Amituofo Calligraphy
      TV: Venerable Cai Yu of Buddha Kasetra on XinMsn
      Sg: Introducing 'My Prayers' (A Charity CD) | More
      Tibet: Appeal for Sponsorship to Restore Echung Cave
      [LA] Lapchi Restoration Project | Website Launched
      [PKS] Dogs for Adoption
      [VSSMeat Less in Singapore: Simple Tips for Reducing Meat!
      [VSS1/12: Latest Newsletter | Vege Outlets | Free Student Membership
      [PKS] Counselling Service
      Sg: Enhance Your Campus Life with Buddhism
      Sg: The Fastest Way to Say No to Pushy Preachers (Happy Buddhist Card)
      [PKS] Clarifications of Video Misconceptions on Buddhism | Detailed Version
      Sg: How to Bust Bogus Monastics in Singapore
      Sg: Please Sign Petition to Stop Pigeon Culling in Singapore
      Sg: Asked to Change Religion? Here's Help

      Sg: Practical Tips to Say ‘No’ to Religious Proselytism
      Volunteers
      [DTDL] Community Outreach Volunteers
      [SBCF] Dharma Volunteers for Inmates
      [MaitriPals] Volunteer Recruitment: Caring for HIV/AIDS Patients
      Jobs
      [My Little Gems KindergartenPrincipal & Teachers
      [KS] 2 English Child Care Teachers | Bilingual Teacher | Student Care Teacher | Kitchen Staff | Retail & General Asst
      [PKS] Event Exe, Kitchen Asst, General Workers/Cleaners
      Chinese Notices
      More Notices after 2/12
       To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
       TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.