03.08.10 : What is Holy? | Are You 'Recycling' Yourself Every Three Lifetimes? | Combining Meditations on the Four Immeasurables

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010
      To see pics, click here | To share by Facebook, please click here

      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: What is Holy?

      Holiness is simply the coming together
      of great compassion and great wisdom.
      [It is nothing mystical.]

      Stonepeace

       New Look Soon
       Realisation: Are You 'Recycling' Yourself Every Three Lifetimes?

      While those who do great good and evil
      have great rises and falls in rebirths, t
      he average ones rise and fall similarly,
      albeit to lesser extremes.

      - Stonepeace

      It is often idealistically imagined that the path to enlightenment is a smooth-sailing one, which is ever steadily cumulative in the amassing of merits and wisdom - the perfection of which is Buddhahood. But if this was so, we would have attained emancipation long ago already! The truth is, as long as we have yet to attain stream-entry (a state that guarantees liberation within seven or less lives), we will tend to have spiritual backslides now and then, both within this life and from life to life. Even if we do not do great evil that leads to a sharp descend into the lower realms, or great good that leads to heavenly rebirths, there is another form of less extreme, yet still terrifying form of existential looping. This is illustrated by the problem of three lifetimes.

      Imagine this repetitive cycle... In Life #1 (this present life), we do much worldly good deeds. In Life #2 (the next life), we naturally enjoy the positive karmic results of Life #1 in terms of fleeting worldly blessings such as wealth, power, fame and such. However, as being well-off tends to corrupt, we are likely to become spiritually complacent and even begin to do evil. In Life #3 (the life after the next), our positive karma from Life #1 is drained, while the negative karma from Life #2 bears retributive fruit. We might then repent and begin to do good again, which loops us back to a state similar to Life #1... ad infinitum, ad nauseam! We thus trick ourselves into thinking we are advancing on the 'highway' to Nirvana, when we take steps backwards every now and then.

      Good done in Life #1, when not guided by sustained wisdom can thus 'become' one's spiritual enemies in Life #3 if the merits are not dedicated to a goal that transcends the rounds of rebirth. If we are already so preoccupied by the mundane, why would we 'naturally' be more spiritually inclined in the next life? Even worldly skills we have mastered can be forgotten in this life, much more to say of our spiritual lessons 'learnt'. If you are now horrified by the 'hamster wheel' that runs somewhere but nowhere, the good news is that there is a safe and feasible way to break free of this cycle by the end of this life - not by attaining enlightenment directly, which is realistically too challenging for most of us, but by seeking birth in Pure Land, where enlightenment is assured! -Shen Shi'an

      As Amituofo (Amitabha Buddha) realised there is
      the problem of three lifetimes (in Samsara),
      he provides the solution of liberation within one lifetime (in his Pure Land).

      - Stonepeace

      Special Article: The Buddha's Real Views on Meat-Eating

      Share Articles & Comments: comment@... | More Realisations
       Excerpt: Combining Meditations on the Four Immeasurables

      The practice of equanimity is the equal application
      of loving-kindness, compassion and rejoice
      towards all beings without discrimination.

      - Stonepeace

      Begin with altruistic love, the strong wish for others to find happiness and the causes of happiness. If after a while, this love drifts towards self-centred attachment, move on to the meditation on impartiality in order to extend your love and compassion equally to all beings – dear ones, strangers or enemies.

      If your impartiality turns to indifference, it is time to think of people who are suffering and arouse intense compassion within you with the wish to relieve these beings from all their suffering. But it can happen that, as a result of being continually concerned with the endless misfortunes of others, you may be overcome by the immensity of the task and lose heart. At that point, meditate on your joy in the happiness of others, thinking of those people who possess great human qualities and of those people whose altruistic aspirations have been successful. Rejoice fully in that.

      If that joy turns into blind euphoria and distraction, go back again to altruistic love – and so on. Develop the four thoughts in this way while avoiding the pitfalls possible in each of them. At the end of your meditation, contemplate the interdependence of all things for a few moments and their lack of autonomous, intrinsic existence. Understand that, just as a bird needs two wings to fly, you must develop wisdom and compassion simultaneously. Wisdom is a better understanding of reality and compassion is the desire for all beings to be liberated from the causes of suffering. [Read Chapter]

      The Art of Meditation
      Matthieu Ricard
      Get it at Awareness Place shops or Amazon | More Excerpts
      AwarenessPlace
       Links

      Dharma Plus

      Meditations on Loving-kindness, Compassion, Rejoice & Equanimity
      Please Learn Well... Before It's Too Late
      Is the Minor Suffering from Killing Small Animals?
      Should We Accept Negative Karma Passively?
      Being Truthful at Work
      Testimonial of Delusions
      Sisyphus the Bodhisattva?
      The Power of Truth

      Dharma Lite

      Being Contactable
      Ordering the Same Old
      Needless (Self-)Punishment

      Vanilla Twilight: What Does It Mean?
      Not Oversensitive
      Not My Place
      Everything But the What?

      Comics

      Another Superhero Paradox

      More | Share: comment@...
       Events
       View or subscribe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dharmanews/messages for faster & latest news
      Talks & Classes | Special Events
      M'sia: 25-26/9: World Buddhist Conference
      [PKS] 8-12/9: Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh in Singapore
      [SBWS] 12/8 - 28/10 Yogacara Studies Class-Treatise on Hundred Dharma
      [BDC] 28/8: Talk: Life after Death: A Buddhist Perspective
      [UBT] From 25/7: Kamma Talks
      [BDMS] View of Universe, Pindapata, Puja, Day of Silence
      [KYCL] Jul-Oct Activities
      [ABC] New Classes
      [TMC] Jul/Aug Course Updates
      [TBC] 8-10/9: Southeast Asia Teaching by His Holiness the Dalai Lama | Update
      [TC] Prayer Sessions, Blood Donation, Volunteer Trg
      [CASonline] A Buddhist Catechism
      kmsYM: 19/8: Dharma@Cinema: Relive Groundhog Day with Shen Shi'an
      Youth
      [DDM] 28-30/8: Trip to TitiEco Organic Farm
      [WAY] Workshop: Taking Charge of Your Life / Basic Buddhism Talks
      [NUSBS] Welcome Tea, Elections
      kmsYM: What's On in Aug
      [ABC] Youth Invite
      Pujas, Initiations & Retreats
      [DDM] 10-12/9: 3-Day Amituofo (Pureland) Chanting Retreat
      [SCG] Chang Chud Programme
      [SLT] 9/8: Dhammanusari Retreat | Details
      [WAY] 7-9/8: Retreat & Talks by Ajahn Suthep
      [ABC] Hayagriva Puja, Merit Multiplying Day & Mandala Offering
      [DTDL] Jul Issue
      [DKOC] 21-22/8: 7th Month Chang Chog Puja | Jul
      Misc
      Sg: Robe Sponsorship for 10 Venerables
      Sg: Introducing 'My Prayers' (A Charity CD) | More
      [PKS] Enrichment Programs

      [AP] Vegetarian Health Series: Spreads | Form
      [AP] From 21/8: Colours of Life (Art for Kids) | Form
      [AP] From 22/8: Sharing Sessions For Home Caregiver of Elderly
      [BL] 31/12: Buddhist Library Photo Competition 2010 - 2012
      Chinese Events
      More Events after 3/8
      Events/Notices RSS | World
       Notices
      Misc
      [VSSMeat Less in Singapore: Simple Tips for Reducing Meat!
      [VSS30/7: Latest Newsletter | Vege Outlets |Free Student Membership | Health Talks
      [PKS] Counselling Service
      Sg: Enhance Your Campus Life with Buddhism
      Sg: Debunking the Top 10 Myths of the 7th Month
      [PKS] Clarifications of Video Misconceptions on Buddhism | Detailed Version
      Sg: How to Bust Bogus Monastics in Singapore
      Sg: Please Sign Petition to Stop Pigeon Culling in Singapore
      Sg: Asked to Change Religion? Here's Help

      Sg: Practical Tips to Say ‘No’ to Religious Proselytism
      Volunteers
      [SBCF] Dharma Volunteers for Inmates
      [PMT] Volunteers
      [MaitriPals] Volunteer Recruitment: Caring for HIV/AIDS Patients
      Jobs
      [PMT] Admin Support Staff
      [Kampung Senang] Childcare Teacher for English | Another Needed
      [SBF] Assistant Editor
      [PKS] Youth & Arts Mngr & Officer, Buddhist Lecturers, Vol Exec, Cook, Kitchen AsstEvents Mngr
      Chinese Notices
      More Notices after 3/8
       To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
       TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.