07.07.10 : Beyond Self-Improvement | How to Receive the Robe & Bowl | Caring for Each Other (Medicine for the World)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2010
      If you can't view this, please click here

      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Beyond Self-Improvement

      The Dharma is not merely for self-improvement,
      but ultimately for self-perfection -
      such that selflessness is realised to benefit one and all.

      Stonepeace

       New Look Soon
       Realisation: How to Receive the Robe & Bowl

      The objective of objects of Dharma
      is to point us beyond themselves -
      towards the objective Dharma.

      -
       Stonepeace

      As recorded in the Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch, when Master Huineng was still a layperson, he was conferred the title of the Sixth Patriarch of Chan when he inherited the robe and (alms) bowl from Master Hongren (the Fifth Patriarch of Chan), who explained to him the significance of the items. As the Chinese people had no confidence in the First Patriarch Bodhidharma (who was the 28th Patriarch in India) when he first arrived in China, the robe was handed down (or transmitted) as a physical form of testimony from one Patriarch to the next. For the Dharma though, it is transmitted from heart to heart, though the recipient must realise it by his own efforts.From time immemorial, it has been the custom for Buddhas to verify and pass the quintessence of the Dharma to their successors. However, as the robe may thereafter be cause for dispute and strife, Master Huineng was to be the last to inherit it. If it were to be further handed down to his successor, his life might be endangered. He was then instructed to leave as quickly as he could. With that, Huineng escaped to the South, as there was certainty that he would not be well received in the North due to his lowly worldly status.

      Two months later, as predicted, when he reached Mount Tayu, he noticed that several hundred men were in hot pursuit of him for the purpose of snatching the robe and bowl from him. One of them there was a monk named Huiming, who was a general of the fourth rank in his lay life. As such, his character was rough and his temper quick. Of all the pursuers, he was the most diligent. When he was about to catch up with Master Huineng, the latter threw the robe and bowl onto a rock and exclaimed, 'This robe is nothing but a symbol. What is the use of taking it away by force?' He then hid himself. When Huiming reached the rock, he tried to pick the items up. To his great shock, he realised that he could not. In sudden yet deep remorse, he repented aloud, 'Lay brother, lay brother, I have come for the Dharma, not for the robe.' Thereupon, Master Huineng calmly emerged from his hiding place. Huiming immediately bowed and requested him to preach the Dharma to him, at which he attained insight.

      This incident is a powerful reminder that we should never be distracted by status or power struggles when practising the Dharma, but focus on perfecting our compassion and wisdom instead. If even a monk, who was eager to pursue the truth could ended up pursuing only what represented it, it is indeed easier for laypeople to lose mindfulness of spiritual priorities over material gains. As the robe and bowl represented the authentic and immovable karmic right to lead the Dharma assembly by the power of truth, it could not be taken by brute force. The physical strife for the robe and bowl was futile, not unlike trying to grasp the reflection of the moon in a lake, missing the truth that though the reflection represents the real moon, it is never truly the moon, which cannot be grabbed. In a sense, all the objects of office, wealth and such that we struggle for and cling to are our personal mundane and unsubstantial 'robe and bowl'. Are they authentic, in comparison to the real 'robe and bowl'? Even if you have manage to shape and secure your own 'robe and bowl' of sorts, how worthy is it for handing down, for anyone's trouble to inherit? May we authentically deserve the the true robe and bowl soon! - Shen Shi'an

      If we objectify the Dharma without internalising it,
      the Dharma becomes mistaken and clung to
      as mere external objects.

      - Stonepeace

      Share Articles & Comments: comment@... | More Realisations
       Excerpt: Caring for Each Other (Medicine for the World)

      Whatever medicines are found in the world - many and varied -
      none are equal to the Dharma.
      Drink of this, monks!

      And having drunk the medicine of the Dharma,
      you'll be untouched by age and death.
      Having meditated and seen,
      [you'll be] healed by ceasing to cling.

      - Milinda-Panho (335)

      One time when the Buddha was walking among the dwellings of his monks, he came across a monk who was very ill with dysentery, lying alone in his own excrement. He asked the monk why none of the others were caring for him and was told that he was of no use to the other monks, so they left him to cope with his illness alone. The Buddha immediately sent his attendant Ananda for a bowl of water and together they washed the monk and raised him onto a bed. Then the Buddha called together all the monks of the community and asked why this monk had been left unattended in his distress. He was given the same answer: “He is of no use to us, Lord.” (Mahavagga 8.26)

      “You monks no longer have mother or father to care for you,” the Buddha said to them.“If you do not care for one another, who else will care for you?” He then used the occasion to lay down one of the 227 rules for the monastic community, enjoining the monks to care for each other in times of illness. It is a poignant story, revealing a side to the Buddha seldom seen in the Pali texts. More importantly, I think it has something to say to us about the situation we all find ourselves in today, and it can offer inspiration and guidance on how we can best get ourselves out of difficulty.

      Surely one of the main problems we face, as a species and as a planet, is that we are lying in our own excrement. All the waste products produced by our consumption, from garbage and debris to chemical toxins and exotic poisons, are oozing out of us and soiling the environment we inhabit. And what the Buddha says about everything else surely applies here: Nothing happens without a cause. Things are the way they are not because of chance or the will of a deity but because people have acted in particular ways and generated particular consequences. The world we inhabit is the product of our actions, which are themselves reflections of our minds. [And we have the collective responsibility to care for it together, with one another. If we as the inhabitants of the Earth do not care, who would?]

      Unlimited Mind: The Radically Experiential Psychology of Buddhism
      Andrew Olendzki
      Get it at Awareness Place shops or Amazon | More Excerpts
      AwarenessPlace
       Links

      Dharma Plus

      Summary of the Six Perfections
      Shrine or Not?
      Afflicted by Syndrome X

      Dharma Lite

      Cause for Alarm?
      Messages from 'The Metamorphosis'
      Small Talk Vs Dharma Talk
      The Class Difference
      Thank you for Reading... and Coming!

      Taiwan Photojournal Adventures

      (07) Heart Sutra in Binary Code
      (08) Guide the Guide
      (09) Oh Deer!
      (10) Why Vote?
      (11) Art(efact)

      A Tit for a Tat

      (150) Why So Noisy?
      (151) What You Missed

      148)  More
       | Share: comment@...
       Events
       View or subscribe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dharmanews/messages for faster & latest news
      Talks & Classes | Special Events
      M'sia: 25-26/9: World Buddhist Conference
      [SBWS] 12/7-14/7:Dharma Talks by Venerable Dr. Jing Yin (in Mandarin)
      [BDC] 28/8: Talk: Life after Death: A Buddhist Perspective
      [UBT] Jul Updates
      [ABC] New Classes
      [TaraBC] 14-19/7: Update: Geshe Lhakdor Teachings
      Sg: 15/7: Buddhism & Science Symposium (II)
      [TMC] Jul/Aug Course Updates
      [MV] Introduction to Buddhism, Meditation for Beginners
      [TBC] 8-10/9: Southeast Asia Teaching by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
      [TC] Prayer Sessions, Eco Awareness Seminar, Blood Donation, Recyling Day, Volunteer Trg
      Youth
      [WAY] Workshop: Taking Charge of Your Life / Basic Buddhism Talks
      [NTUBS] 19-22/7: CNS 2010: Journey to the West: Freshman Orientation
      [NUSBS] Matric Fair, Orientation Camp, Welcome Tea, Elections
      [SPBS] Membership
      kmsYM: What's On in Jun & Jul
      [ABC] Youth Invite
      kmsYM: 9/7: F.I.R. It's My Live Concert Promotion
      kmsYM: From 16/7: Young Artiste Club Intake
      kmsYM: From 17/7: Zen Drum Class
      Pujas, Initiations & Retreats
      [SLT] 9/8: Dhammanusari Retreat
      [ODS] 18/7: One Day Mani Recitation & Dharma Teachings
      [SBWS] 26-27/7: Meditation Retreat
      [DTDL] Jul Issue
      [DKOC] Jul Update
      [PKS] 25/7: 3 Refuges & 5 Precepts Ceremony
      Misc
      [FZC] From 7/7: Vegetarian Cooking Class
      [PKS] From 16/7: Marriage Builder with 'S' Factor
      [AP] Vegetarian Health Series: Spreads | Form
      [AP] From 21/8: Colours of Life (Art for Kids) | Form
      [AP] From 22/8: Sharing Sessions For Home Caregiver of Elderly
      [BL] 31/12: Buddhist Library Photo Competition 2010 - 2012
      Chinese Events
      More Events after 7/7
      Events/Notices RSS | World
       Notices
      Misc
      [VSSMeat Less in Singapore: Simple Tips for Reducing Meat!
      [VSS30/6: Latest Newsletter | Vege Outlets |Free Student Membership | Health Talks
      [PKS] Counselling Service
      Sg: Enhance Your Campus Life with Buddhism
      Sg: Debunking the Top 10 Myths of the 7th Month
      [PKS] Clarifications of Video Misconceptions on Buddhism | Detailed Version
      Sg: How to Bust Bogus Monastics in Singapore
      Sg: Please Sign Petition to Stop Pigeon Culling in Singapore
      Sg: Asked to Change Religion? Here's Help

      Sg: Practical Tips to Say ‘No’ to Religious Proselytism
      Volunteers
      [SBCF] Dharma Volunteers for Inmates
      [PMT] Volunteers
      [MaitriPals] Volunteer Recruitment: Caring for HIV/AIDS Patients
      Jobs
      [Kampung Senang] Childcare Teacher for English | Another Needed
      [SBF] Assistant Editor
      [PKS] Sunday School Principal, Youth & Arts Mngr & Officer, Buddhist Lecturers, Vol Exec, Education Officer, Cook, Kitchen Asst | Events Mngr
      Chinese Notices
      More Notices after 7/7
       To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
       TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.