07.08.09 : Fastest Way | How to Easier Stomach a Pinch of Salt | No Point Being Dejected & Glum

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2009

      If you can't view this, please click here

      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Fastest Way

      The fastest way to dissolve tension
      is to radiate loving-kindness.
      Even for great long-time enemies,
      it is still the fastest way.

      - Stonepeace

       As Featured in Press
       Realisation: How to Easier Stomach a Pinch of Salt

      Since the workings of Karma are dynamic,
      so is your destiny dynamic.

      - Stonepeace

      In the Lonaphala Sutta (Salt Crystal Discourse), the Buddha explained why it is erroneously fatalistic to assume that one who creates certain karma (intentional action) will surely experience it in a mirrored as-it-is way. For example, 'sowing' a seed in wet cement will never not bear another similar seed, much less any fruit. Such a person would be unable to end suffering due to delusion. However, if one believes that whoever creates karma will only reap its appropriate experienceable results, liberation would be possible, due to being on the right track of understanding. For example, sowing a seed on fertile soil bears new fruits. It is thus important to know which deeds are crucial in furthering the spiritual path and which are worthless.

      Thus, there are cases when a small evil deed results in a terrible rebirth for one, while the results of the same deed might be experienced in this life itself by another, and only for a short while. This is so when the first is undeveloped in body and mind (lacking mindfulness of both), unrealised in virtue (goodness) and wisdom (truth), making one self-limited and small-hearted, dwelling in suffering. The latter is however developed in the above, making one unrestricted and large-hearted, dwelling within the boundless states of loving-kindness, compassion, rejoice and/or equanimity. This is why the Buddha encouraged expanding one's heart and mind with practice of these Four Immeasurables - because vast present goodness can limit past evils.

      The Buddha next elaborates on the above. If a salt crystal is dropped into a little water in a cup, it would become unfit to drink. However, if it is dropped into a big river, its waters would not become unbearably salty due to its great mass. As such, the results of one's deeds are 'flavoured' by one's present state of mind. We choose whatever salty (negative) or sweet (positive) karma to drop and dilute in the dynamically changing river of life, while how deep and spiritually quenching it is depends on how well we develop ourselves in the wisdom of large-heartedness. As wholesome and unwholesome karma mix in this river we drink of, its 'cocktails' never taste like their individual ingredients alone! - Shen Shi'an

      Mindfulness of [Amitabha] Buddha averts a hellish rebirth
      by diluting one's heavy but limited negative karma
      in his immeasurable ocean of merits, that he shares out of pure compassion.

      - Stonepeace
      Related Article: Can Evil Karma be Diluted with Buddha Mindfulness?
      Share Articles & Comments: comment@... | More Realisation Articles
       Excerpt: No Point in Being Dejected & Glum

      The cause of happiness is rare,
      And many are the seeds of suffering!
      But if I have no pain, I’ll never long for freedom;
      Therefore my mind, be steadfast!

      - Shantideva

      So come what may, I’ll not upset
      My cheerful happiness of mind.

      Dejection never brings me what I want;
      My virtue will be warped and marred by it.

      If there’s a remedy when trouble strikes,
      What reason is there for dejection?
      And if there is no help for it,

      What use is there in being glum?

      Comments: ... What irritates us in the first place is that our wishes are not fulfilled. But remaining upset does nothing to help fulfill those wishes. So we neither fulfill our wishes nor regain our cheerfulness! This disconcerted state, from which anger can grow, is most dangerous. We should try never to let our happy frame of mind be disturbed. Whether we are suffering at present or have suffered in the past, there’s no reason to be unhappy. If we can remedy it, why be unhappy? And if we cannot, what use is there in being depressed about it? That just adds more unhappiness and does no good at all…

       For the Benefit of All Beings: A Commentary on the Way of the Bodhisattva
       (His Holiness the Dalai Lama)
       Get it at Awareness Place shops or Amazon | More Excerpt Articles
      AwarenessPlace
       Links

      Work: Our Dusty Samsara
      The Report is Not the Work
      Right Speech is Timely Speech

      Misc: Lock & Chain
      The Dandelions of Gossip
      Truth, Goodness & Beauty
      End Karmic Viral Mutation

      Book: Not a Case for God?
      Is this Review 'Enough'?

      Music: I'm a Virgo Too?
      Open to Everything Happy & Sad

      Movie: Why We Probably were Serial Killers

      Shopping: Not Zen Not Zen
      Layers Upon Layers
      Upgrade is Downgrade?
      New Temples, New Gods, New Offerings

       More | Share: comment@...
       Events
       View or subscribe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dharmanews/messages for faster & latest news
      Talks & Classes
      [TC] 15-16/8: Prayer Session for the Seventh Lunar Month: An Auspicious Month of Gratitude & Joy
      [SLT] 7/8: Talk: Who says No Bodhisattvas in the Theravada Tradition
      [DDM] Spiritual Environmentalism Lesson & Yoga Class
      [TMC] Practical Buddhist Counselling & Meditation
      [ABC] Jul-Aug: New Courses
      [WAY] ABCs of Buddhism, Talk & More
      [RBS] From 21/7: Dhammapada Class (Chapters on Happiness, Affection & Anger)
      [MV] From 27/7: Introduction to Buddhism
      [PKS] 3 Refuges 5 Precepts Class & Ceremony
      [PKS] 7/8 & 28/8: True Love: Let's Sing Together!
      [PJS] From 12/7: Basic Buddhism Course
      [KYCL] Aug-Oct Events
      [PAMC] Aug Activities
      [SMC] Aug News
      Youth
      [DDYS] 8/8: Free Movie Screening: Six Degree
      [DDYS] 30/8: Fun Cycling: Come & Join Us!
      kmsYM: 16/8: 3GEMS Tour of Wat Ananda Temple
      kmsYM: GUM August 2009 - Singapre Hosay!
      kmsYM: Y_Cultivation: Sutra Discussion Series - Amitabha Sutra
      kmsYM: Aug *w*s*d*p
      13/08: Art of Dying Gracefully
      27/08: Buddhist Dragpacker: Northen Ethopia
      [NUSBS Weekly] 14/8: NUS Buddhist Society Welcome Tea
      [NUSBS Weekly] What's on
      Pujas, Initiations & Retreats
      [TPBC & PM] 5 & 6-12/9: 88 Buddhas Repentance, Amitabha Pureland Retreat, Food Offering
      [SLT] 9/8: Dhammanusari Day Retreat
      [PKS] 6-14/12: 8-Precepts Retreat at Bodhgaya
      [GSBA] Aug Chanting | Special Chanting
      Misc
      [DIA] 13-19/9: (T.H.I.S.) Buddhist Film Festival | Press & Mag Features
      [AP/PKS] Enhancing Buddhist Education via Cooperative Learning, Yoga (Women & Elderly), Taichi
      [CASonline] Chokor Duchen Special: The Miracle Sutra
      [KS & Eco-Harmony] 11-12/9: Holistic Wellness Symposium
      [BF] Executive Club
      [KYCL] Jul-Sep Events
      [TibetanBC] 20-22/10: H.H.Dalai Lama's Teaching on Four Noble Truths | Details
      [AalokaBC] Sunday Dhamma Class for Adults & Children, Chanting, Pilgrimage
      [PKS] 27/11: Voices of Harmony: Sound of a Thousand Years
      [AP] Metta Meditation (Eng/Ch), Spinal Movements, Marriage Enrichment, Road to Resilience, Sharing for Home Caregivers, Managing Moods, Raw Food Detox Workshop, Children Art Class
      Chinese Events
      More Events after 07/08
      Events/Notices RSS | World
       Notices
      Misc

      [VSS] Singapore Vegetarian Food Guide | Vege Outlets | Support
      [VSS] 3/8: Latest Newsletter
      [PKS] Counselling Service
      Sg: Enhance Your Campus Life with Buddhism
      [MPTR] Something Every Day About Everyday Things (From creator of TDE)
      Volunteers
      [SBCF] Dharma Volunteers for Inmates
      [MaitriPals] Volunteer Recruitment: Caring for HIV/AIDS Patients
      Jobs
      Sg: Job Appeal by Buddhist
      [PKS] Kitchen Assistant, Education Officer, Customer Service Officer, Lecturers
      [BCC] Librarian/ Admin Clerk
      Chinese Notices
      More Notices after 07/08
       To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
       TDE-Weekly is a free ndependent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.