#431: Buttons & The 6 Perfections

  • !Namo@mituofO!
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2000
      TheDailyEnlightenment #431 ~Share your Enlightenment Here!
      ______________________________
      Realization
      : Buttons & The 6 Perfections

      Note: "Pushing one's buttons" means making one upset.
      We all have our buttons- our attachments which make us upset when provoked.

      The bolded qualities below are the 6 Perfections-
      the core practices of ones aspiring to be Bodhisattvas (enlightened beings who help enlighten other beings)
      A Bodhisattva does not take "himself" seriously-
      because he realised he has no self.
      You can push his buttons all the way-
      and he stays cool.
      He takes it in good nature-
      because he realised his empty nature.
      In fact, he has no real buttons at all,
      and he helps others understand they have none either.

      An unenlightened Sentient Being takes himself too seriously-
      as if he has a real self to protect from the rest of the world.
      You need only gently nudge a button or two-
      and he loses his cool.
      He takes it personally-
      because he had yet to realise impersonality (non-self).

      We are somewhere in between (I hope).
      We are sentient beings trying to realise the ultimate reality,
      of our ultimate unreality- we and our buttons.
      This is cultivating Wisdom.

      We are trying to be button-free,
      practising to react less and less easily,
      by the button-pushing "other" sentient beings.
      This is cultivating Patience (perseverance).

      And in practising,
      we practise pushing less and less buttons of others,
      especially as part of our practice of refraining from reacting
      from button-pushers pushing our buttons.
      This is cultivating Morality (precepts),
      this is cultivating Compassion.

      When we know what buttons pushed bring happiness to other beings,
      even if it is only a relative happiness (not absolute),
      we practise pushing them,
      to bring them happiness, to urge them towards True Happiness.
      This is cultivating Generosity.

      And even if others do not respond to our kindness kindly,
      time and again,
      we carry on our practice relentlessly,
      no matter how hard others' buttons are to push...
      This is cultivating Energy (vigour).

      But at the end of the day,
      there has to be some inner practice,
      looking within to realise the selflessness, buttonlessness of all.
      This is practising Meditation.

      And there you have it-
      how buttons relate to the 6 Perfections.
      And if you find the above a drag, wee too long...
      then I'm afraid I'd just pressed your "impatient" button!

      __________________
      TheDailyEnlightenment

      TDE is a FREE international email-list service (Members:4200+) affiliated to Singapore's Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery's Awareness Enterprise: A Non-profitable Right Livelihood Dharma Sharing Project) (Visit our temple's homepage at http://www.kmspks.org &TDE Archive at http://TheDailyEnlightenment.cjb.NET )You can support us by contributing articles and encouraging friends to join by forwarding them this TDE.

      thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@egroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-QUOTE-subscribe@egroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-NEWS-subscribe@egroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-REALISATION-subscribe@egroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-EXCERPT-subscribe@egroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-LINK-subscribe@egroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-STORY-subscribe@egroups.com

      In these subsidiary mailing lists, you can choose to subscribe only to selected sections of the above- News / Quote / Link / Realisation / Excerpt & Review / Story by sending an empty untitled mail to the above emails. All replies, contributions, suggestions, queries and subscriptions are also welcomed at amituofo@...

      Disclaimer:  Please note that the views and opinions as written by the authors of the above articles,
      and those of the publicised activities' speakers do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of Phor Kark See or Awareness Enterprise.
      The Awareness Place
      (Buddhist Book / Gift / CD Shop Chain & Meditation Centre)

      @ #01-21 Bras Basah Complex (BBC) Tel.3377582 (Near City Hall/ Bugis MRT)
      @ #03-39 Awareness Place Meditation Centre (BBC) Tel.3365067
      @ #02-21 International Plaza Tel.2246417 (By Tanjong Pagar MRT)
      @ #04-15 Causeway Point Shopping Centre Tel.8941456 (By Woodlands MRT)