How To Pacify Your Mind Instantly

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008
      TheDailyEnlightenment.com Weekly 03.07.08

      Get this newsletter | TDE-Weekly Archive
      Click here if you do not see pictures below

      Realisation: How To Pacify Your Mind Instantly

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/116.gif
      As there is no fixed "you", "you" become what "you" are fixated on.
      - stonepeace

      Legend has it that the enlightening dialogue below occured when the First Patriarch of Chinese Zen (Chan) met who was to later become the Second Patriarch. Huike requested thus of Bodhidharma, "My mind is anxious - please pacify it!", who replied, "Bring me your mind, and I will pacify it." Huike answers, "I have searched, but I cannot find it." Bodhidharma then delivers the Zen punchline - "I have pacified your mind!"

      It is the senseless holding on, the attachment to our troubles in mind, that is truly troubling, not the troubles in themselves. If there is something troubling, we should simply do what we can to resolve it. If it cannot be resolved, there's no need to be troubled by it. That doesn't mean Huike was foolish though, as he did try to resolve his troubles - by seeking and following advice on how to do so. How did his troubles get resolved?

      When the seeker of his fleeting mindstates turns mindful to look for the troubled mind, that mindfulness realises that all mindstates are unsubstantial and cannot be clung on to. This light of mindfulness dissipates the darkness of our troubles in mind - which are only as substantial as we suppose them to be. Though Huike's encounter with Bodhidharma happened around 2,000 years ago, this Zen exchange still offers relevant advice!
      - Shen Shi'an

      Related Article: Why All Problems are Not Problems

      While most consider it foolish to grasp at clouds, they cling to clouded thoughts. - stonepeace

      Review: Response to "Can Helping Become Harming?"
      Share your articles and comments at
      comment@...
      More Realisation Articles

      To subscribe to the above, email tde-intl-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by contributing news and articles, and by encouraging friends to join. Unsubscriptions, change of emails, contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde<at>TheDailyEnlightenment.com The information within the articles need not represent TDE-Weekly's views. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors.