Why be Grateful for Anything at All? (The Rationale of Gratitude)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2008
      TheDailyEnlightenment.com Weekly 31.01.08

      Get this newsletter | TDE-Weekly Archive
      Click here if you do not see pictures below

      Realisation:
      Why be Grateful for Anything at All? (The Rationale of Gratitude)

      https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedailyenlightenment.com%2Fpics%2F563.jpg&t=1493581478&sig=yaFIOQwsHOkF0ESnqOtHag--~C
      Thank goodness, but thank the doer of goodness too. - stonepeace

      I was wondering why I have to be grateful for anything at all - since the blessings I receive I deserve, in the name of my karma. I discovered I don't have to feel gratitude - as there is really no obligation to. But to feel gratitude to all does good to all. It makes me treasure the goodness others do for me. It makes others feel appreciated, motivated to do more good. It makes no one take anything for granted - not even your own good karma, your own goodness that harvested more goodness.

      Gratitude reminds us that goodness is an earned privilege, a gem to be cherished. It perpetuates goodness in the world. It is goodness itself.
      The more gratitude you feel, the more blessed your life is. Imagine feeling gratitude even to the air, the sun and wind, your loved ones, your friends, your neighbours, cats and dogs, those who test your patience (to train your patience!)... A life without gratitude is punishment instead - it becomes miserable with no heartfelt blessings.

      While we feel gratitude for our blessings, it is a blessing itself to be able to feel gratitude - for it is the ability to appreciate goodness, to feel good, to feel goodness, to want to reciprocate goodness, to want to generate goodness for this world always in need of it.
      Let us be reminded then, to be grateful to all beings - to the enlightened ones, for teaching us the path to Enlightenment; and also to the unenlightened ones, for offering us the opportunities to practise and perfect our compassion and wisdom!
      - Shen Shi'an & Shiqin

      Peace begins with gratitude with 'now'. - stonepeace

      Share your articles and comments at
      comment@thedailyenlightenment .com
      Review: Response (1) | (2) to "What Keep Us From Greatness?"
      More Realisation Articles

      To subscribe to the above, email tde-intl-subscribe @yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by contributing news and articles, and by encouraging friends to join. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment<at>TheDailyEnlightenment.com The information within the articles need not represent TDE-Weekly's views. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors.