War is Over If You Want It

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 04.01.07

      Get this newsletterTDE-Weekly Archive
      Click here if you do not see pictures below
      _____________________________
      Realisation: War is Over If You Want It

      https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedailyenlightenment.com%2Fpics%2F549.jpg&t=1490815714&sig=TWyI4dZ4YQmSPk6VLOGEQQ--~C
      And what have you done? Another year over. And a new one just begun. - John Lennon

      Around Christmas and New Year's Day, you'll tend to hear the song "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" by John Lennon a lot. From Wikipedia, "It features soaring, heavily-echoed vocals, and a sing-along chorus"...with "children singing in the background".
      The chorus, though simple, is especially haunting in a repetitive mantra-like way - "War is over, if you want it. War is over now." Sung in a peaceful well-wishing manner against the backdrop of the Vietnam war in the early 70's, this classic is surely no angry rap. The peace activist that Lennon was, the song was not written for angry fired up protesters. Instead, it is touching and has a calming effect on its listeners and singers. Though decades old, the song is still relevant for our times.

      When I first heard it, I didn't give the lyrics much thought, thinking they were really simplistic and unrealistic. How much more wrong could I be? The "mantra" was based on a peace campaign by Lennon and his wife, who generously rented billboards,
      putting up black and white posters in eleven cities around the world which simply read - "WAR IS OVER! (If You Want It) Happy Christmas from John and Yoko." Other than the words in bolded capital letters, the rest were in fine print. It is a shocking proclamation because at first glance, as it seemed to declare the end of the Vietnam War, while it was ongoing. The words in brackets justify the truthfulness of the bold statement though. You just need to really want war to end.

      It was a powerful reminder to the world's leaders, civilians and soldiers that all wars are over - the very moment we wish them to end. Both battling sides just need to want peace badly enough. Though idealistic, cease-fire is thus possible instantly. As the notices did not name any specific "war", they can also refer to the true "mother" of all wars, which rage within us - our hate, which leads to inner and outer conflicts with oneself and others.
      Only when we truly make peace with ourselves, can we truly make peace with others. True outer peace arises from true inner peace, from the end of our defilements - our greed, hatred and delusion. This new year, let's work towards that. May peace from within spill over for all. Peace! - Shen Shi'an

      [It is by] being peace that we can make peace. - Thich Nhat Hanh
      An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
      - Mahatma Gandhi
      See the haunting music video: War is Over

      Share your articles and comments at
      comment@...
      Review: Response (1) | (2) to "What Keep Us From Greatness?"
      More Realisation Articles
      To subscribe to the above, email tde-intl-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. (Chinese TDE at http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew) You can support us by contributing news and articles, and by encouraging friends to join. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@... The information within the articles need not represent TDE-Weekly's views. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors.