Our (Mis)Adventures in Wonderland

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2007
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 09.11.07

      Get this newsletter | TDE-Weekly Archive
      Click here if you do not see pictures below
      ____________________________________
      Realisation: Our (Mis)Adventures in Wonderland

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/521.jpgWhat good is an imaginary tale without any truth in it? - stonepeace

      In "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", Alice asks the Cheshire Cat which way she ought to go. The cat replies, "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to." The frustrated Alice exclaims, "I don't much care where--" The Cat grins on, "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat. Alice tries to finish her sentence "--so long as I get somewhere". "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough." In the song "Any Road" by George Harrison, the related chorus reminds us - "And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." Is this not poignant wit and wisdom?

      Ridiculously common-sensical as it might seem, the above reflects the human condition for many, who yearn to get somewhere, but are unsure of where. They thus go "randomly" wandering in the rounds of life and death. It doesn't matter who you are, but at the end of the day, even if you are unaware of it, all you really want is True Happiness - that which is truly lasting. Even masochism is the "inverted" seeking of True Happiness. The problem with worldly sources of happiness is its fleeting nature. As such, True Happiness must be non-material and even non-mental, transcending impermanent mind and matter.

      The Buddha realised that True Happiness can only be attained with complete compassion and wisdom. Not knowing why we are unhappy is the lack of wisdom, and the self-sabotaging attitude and actions we have is the lack of compassion. The ultimate "adventure" in the "wonderland" of Samsara is the quest for True Happiness (aka Nirvana). Not any road will take you there - only the Noble Eightfold Path will - if you walk it all the way with all your heart. Alice later remarks, "...
      I don't want to go among mad people." The Cat says, "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.... or you wouldn't have come here." Now, aren't we all "mad" to keep returning to Samsara, while missing the path to True Happiness?
      Shen Shi'an

      "Not knowing the reason you are here is the reason you are here."
      "Only fools and Bodhisattvas rush into Samsara - the latter to save the first."
      "The truly sane know they are truly sane, while the truly mad do not know they are truly mad."
      - stonepeace

      Related Articles: Window-shopping in Life | Alice's Madness & Aimlessness
      Share your articles and comments at
      comment@...
      Review: Response to "A Ball Game Called Life"
      More Realisation Articles
      To subscribe to the above, email tde-intl-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. (Chinese TDE at http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew) You can support us by contributing news and articles, and by encouraging friends to join. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@... The information within the articles need not represent TDE-Weekly's views. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors.