When Death Becomes Her

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 26.10.07

      Get this newsletter | TDE-Weekly Archive
      Click here if you do not see pictures below
      _____________________________
      Realisation: When Death Becomes Her

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/513.jpg A good life includes a good death. To die well, live well. - stonepeace

      In popular culture, Death (yes, with a capital "D") is often portrayed as the grim reaper of life itself - a creepy and sneaky skeletal old man in a cloak, holding a giant unforgiving scythe. Death is simply the ultimate killjoy - the one who threatens all with the impending loss of everything, who is tough to bargain with... the dark and mysterious stranger who will claim us all. However, in popular graphic novel mythos, there is a refreshing alternative depiction of Death. In the award-winning acclaimed Sandman comics, Death is personified as an intelligent, charming, cheery and chatty young girl. It's the direct opposite take of the grim persona. Death becomes a good friend to all, who casually yet wisely counsels those about to pass away, helping them to resolve their regrets, teaching them to let go of their worldly attachments. She belongs to a family called the Endless, who represent the timeless "realities" of the universe.

      In Buddhist culture, death is personified as Yama in paintings, the monstrous lord of death, with glaring eyes, fangs and claws, which grip the wheel of life and death. (Click here for a "wheel tour".) Indeed, as long as unenlightened, we are in the clutches of Yama. Some see him as a literal being, while some see him as a metaphor for the terror of death. Either way, it's rather effective imagery as a wake-up call on the nature of transience - to treasure life but not be attached to it, and to seek wisdom for liberaton. Though wrathful in form, Yama is never unfair, for death is the great equaliser, which occurs only according to the natural laws of karma. But what is death really? It is change. As Stonepeace put it, "Dying can be gradual, and death can be sudden. But life is always now - even when dying or dead. As there is rebirth and redeath, there is no true birth or death. Seek then, for the truth - the unborn; the deathless - Nirvana."

      The wheel that Yama holds up for us to see is like a mirror for spiritual reflection. Indeed, death is a mirror, for reflecting upon the significance of our lives. Given that death's eventual, what is it we should accomplish, that would make this life well-lived, meaningful? Without death as a mirror, life would feel largely aimless and inconsequential. Death might reap our physical lives, but viewed wisely, it "bestows" spiritual life too. Death then, can be seen as either an enemy or a friend. Whether death is more grim or cheery depends on your perspective. Perhaps, it is better to see death as grim when we have taken life for granted, and to see death as cheery when we have taken life too hard and seriously, urging us to lighten up with kind good humour. The "Middle Path" of seeing death is probably the best - as empty of any fixed characteristics. How well you live decides how well you die. Will you have a happy ending? -
      Shen Shi'an

      Heedfulness is the path to the deathless, heedlessness is the path to death.
      The heedful do not die; the heedless are like unto the dead.
      - The Buddha
      Awareness gives you your life back. You can then decide what to do with it. - Jon Kabat-Zinn

      Share your articles and comments at
      comment@...
      Review: Response to "A Ball Game Called Life"
      More Realisation Articles
      To subscribe to the above, email tde-intl-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. (Chinese TDE at http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew) You can support us by contributing news and articles, and by encouraging friends to join. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@... The information within the articles need not represent TDE-Weekly's views. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors.