How to Fall in Love in the City of Love

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2007
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 03.08.07

      Get this newsletterTDE-Weekly Archive
      Click here if you do not see pictures
      _____________________________________
      Realisation: How to Fall in Love in the City of Love

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/484.jpg  True l
      ove does not centre around you, for it has no boundaries. - stonepeace

      The last story in the film "Paris Je T'aime", which is an anthology of love stories, is an unlikely love story. It might seem "mystical" yet it is about a real and basic aspect of love. A middle-aged woman was strolling Paris, with her thoughts narrated - "They say it is where people go and find something new in their life. They say it is where you can find love... Didn't expect to find. But I am not a sad person. On the opposite, I'm a happy person with many friends and two wonderful dogs. It's just that sometimes I wish I had someone to share things with. For example, when I see all of Paris from a skyscraper, I wanted to say to someone. "Isn't that beautiful?' But there was nobody there...

      Then I found a lovely little park. I sat down in the park and ate a sandwich that I bought. It tasted very good. Then something happened. Something difficult to describe. (She looks around at the adults and kids having their park activities.) Sitting there alone in a foreign country far from my job and everyone I know, a feeling came to me. It was like remembering something I had never known before or had always been waiting for, without knowing what it was. Maybe it was something I've been missing all my life. All I can say is that I felt, at the same time, joy and sadness. But not much sadness because I felt alive. Yes, alive. That was when I fell in love wth Paris. And I felt Paris fell in love with me."

      Without sufficient spirituality, most people, despite being loving in nature, still feel the desire to be personally loved, to have someone always there for them. This subtle sense of aloneness arises from a sense of existential alienation or disconnectedness to the world, due to lack of genuinely deep connection or commitment. Maybe what she discovered was newfound awareness of her situation, coupled with radical acceptance of it, without wanting anything else in the moment. She was taking a break after touring part of Paris. With expectations at rest, what arose was an overwhelming sense of contentment, that could not be named because it was unconditional.

      She embraced her emotions as they were without rejection. And this mindful embracing is always more joyous than sad. In fact, she embraced everything before her as they were. That was why she felt she fell in love with wherever she was. With this loving-kindness (Metta) suffusing her, enveloping her and overflowing from her, she naturally felt the world being loving to her. It is possible even for usually non-spiritual people to have such experiences once a while. The problem is not knowing what they mean, how they arise and how to sustain or rekindle these pure experiences. They might be labelled the grace of a greater power, but it is actually one's own graciousness at work. -Shen Shi'an (adapted from www.moonpointer.com)

      Nothing is more romantic than expanding the love of one to love of all. - stonepeace

      Share your articles and comments at comment@...
      Review: Response to "Of Unhappiness & Trigger-Happiness
      More Realisation Articles
      To subscribe to the above, email tde-intl-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. (Chinese TDE at http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew) You can support us by contributing news and articles, and by encouraging friends to join. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@... The information within the articles need not represent TDE-Weekly's views. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors.