A Buddhist Horror Story

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 03.06.06

      Get this newsletter | TDE-Weekly Archive
      Realisation: A Buddhist Horror Story

       To demonise others is to demonise oneself. - stonepeace

      Here is a deceptively simple but profoundly enlightening tale adapted from the "Sutra of One Hundred Parables"... Once upon a time, a demon was rumoured to live in an old abandoned house. It looked so terrifying that everyone stayed clear of it. One day, a man decided to prove his bravery by spending a night in it alone. It so happened that another man wanted to do the same - so as to prove he was even braver. However, both did not know they had chosen the same night to visit the house.

      When the second man reached the house, he tried to open the door, unaware that the first man was already inside. Hearing the door rattle, the one inside assumed it was the demon coming home! Horrified, he pushed against the door with all his might. Feeling the strong resistance from within, the one outside was equally horrified, convinced that the demon was at home! As afraid as curious, both strained to open and close the door for the entire night. Stopping only when exhausted, they realise that there was no demon on the other side.

      Both were instead fighting their personal demons of attachment, aversion, hatred, fear, pride and ignorance. Are we not often like them? Sometimes, conditions are such that illusory beliefs are fostered, the strongest of which is the illusion that we have enduring selves. Upon closer investigation of the workings of cause and effect, "self" is actually a "demon" of delusion, as we change mentally and physically from moment to moment. Ironically, we fight each other based on our demons of self-centredness and self-righteousness
      - Shen Shi'an

      Please share with us your views and articles @ comment@...
      Review: Response to "The Nature to Sting vs the Nature to Save"