The Animals' Fault or Ours?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2004
      Realisation: The Animals' Fault or Ours?

       From The Straits Times (Singapore) Tue 3rd Feb 2004

      The cause of Sars and, now, bird flu, was blamed on the civet cat and the chicken respectively. So we were treated to an added dose of violence on TV showing civet cats being drowned and chickens being stomped to death.

      And we were made to believe that this massive killing is the right move because we, human beings, are at risk. School children applauded the shooting of crows in their school compounds, saying that crows spread the bird-flu virus. The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority is investigating if migratory birds could spread the virus. We have killed pigs. We have killed civet cats. We are now killing birds. We have also killed our sense of morality. Impressionable children will grow up thinking that killing is the answer to any threat to our survival. Is this the future we want?

      We should stop blaming other species for our woes. If only we had been less indulgent in our gastronomic pleasures, more compassionate in the farming of animals, and less arrogant and not think that we are the masters of this fragile planet, then perhaps there is still hope for this earthly home we share with other living beings.

      We want to live. So does every other living being on this planet.

      -Dr Tan Chek Wee (of www.mettacats.org)
      _________________________________

      If a person does not harm any living being…
      and does not kill or cause others to kill-
      that person is a true spiritual practitioner.

      -Dhammapada (The Buddha)

      In order to satisfy one human stomach, so many lives are taken away.
      We must promote vegetarianism. It is extremely important.

      -His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

      Please see
      http://kmspks.org/articles/vege.htm for the Buddhist perspective on vegetarianism.

      Appeal for Letters on Bird-flu:
      Your Active Compassion Needed
      Some Received Letters
      [VSS] Bird Flu Forum and Press Conference

      [VSS] VegeNews Feb04
      Any comments? Please share with us @ birdflu@...

      Contribute your article or your thoughts on the above | RealizationArchive
      Realization Review: