Are You Ready to Take Leave?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2003
      TDE-Weekly will resume in Jan 2004
      ________________________________
      Realisation: Are You Ready to Take Leave?

      All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2 - Island/Universal
      << "All That You Can't Leave Behind" album

      Leave it behind. You've got to leave it behind.
      All that you fashion. All that you make.
      All that you build. All that you break.
      All that you measure. All that you steal.
      All this you can leave behind.
      All that you reason. All that you sense. All that you speak.
      All you dress up. All that you schemeā€¦

      -U2 (Walk On)

      I'm clearing last year's leave tomorrow - all 14 days together - before they get disqualified by year end. With uncleared backlogged off-days and weekends, I'll be away for almost a month. Being a long absence, I find myself sorting out my office to-do list, trying to check off as many pending tasks as possible by doing them. Concurrently, I'm making a personal spiritual to-do list for my leave, planning to spend each day fruitfully.

      As if leaving for good, I'm cleaning out my office desk and my room at home. I find myself making arrangements for my absence. I assumed it would be tiresome dispensing and delegating my duties and stuff, but it turned out to be a process of letting go, of feeling lighter and lighter of burdens - only because I was attached to them, while ironically, feeling the strain. I begin to treasure time in the office and at home, especially my communication of "last words" with family and colleagues - which becomes more kind though urgent. Just when I thought being on leave is liberating, even preparing to go on leave is liberating. As the saying goes, "It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." On the path to Enlightenment, let us remember that the journey itself is liberating. Let us be more process-oriented and not too goal-oriented. Bodhisattvas are the best examples - they focus on doing what they can in the moment to help all beings, without hurrying for the sure and final bliss of Buddhahood (though in reality, many Bodhisattvas are manifestations of Buddhas!) The path to liberation is itself liberating, not stifling! If not, it has yet to be trod on properly.

      We don't know when we will leave this life. While I procastinated clearing last year's leave, I can't plan my REAL final leave - which might (though hopefully not) be likened to being fired without warning, as  death retrenches me from life. Why are we not preparing ourselves spiritually for this leave? How do you prepare? Not by forsaking present worldly responsibilities, but by not procrastinating the taking care of loose ends. If not now, then when? Even if one wishes to renounce the worldly life to be a monk or nun, one has to first settle career and family matters. The biggest loose end, however, is the question of what will be of you, when you take final leave of this life. Will you leave gladly with peace of mind, or unwillingly with regrets and trouble in mind? Will you be liberated by your past or trapped by it? Where will you go when you take leave? To a better future life? To personal liberation? Or to return as a Bodhisattva? Are you ready to clear leave? (TDE-Weekly will be on leave till Jan 2004. Meanwhile, please see www.moonpointer.com for similar articles)

      Do you have related experiences? What are your thoughts to the above questions? Please share with us @ clearleave@...

      shian@...
      Contribute your article or your thoughts on the above | RealizationArchive
      Realization Review: Thoughts for Sunny & Rainy Days

      4 More Responses on "How to Deal with Office Politics"
      8 New Responses to "Your Rainy & Sunny Life Experiences"