57515.02.14 : Dust Dance | An Hungry Arhat Meets A Well Fed Elephant | No Unforgiving Bodhisattvas | The Reluctant Fundamentalist

    Feb 14, 2014
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Dust Dance

      A piece of dust in the eye:
      Illusory flowers
      dance wildly.

      – Buddhist Saying

      – Comment | More

       Feb & Mar Courses
       Realisation: An Hungry Arhat Meets A Well Fed Elephant

      愿消三障诸烦恼,
      愿得智慧增福报。
      普愿罪障悉消除,
      世世常行菩萨道。

      – 回向偈

      May all afflictions from the three hindrances* be eradicated. May all attain wisdom and increase in blessed rewards. May hindrances from transgressions be universally eradicated. May all from life to life always practise the Bodhisattva path.

      – Verse For Sharing Of Merits
      *Hindrances of afflictions 烦恼障, negative karma 业障, retribution 报障

      Once upon a time, there were two brothers in the Dharma. The first liked to study the sutras, and thus diligently cultivated wisdom, while the second preferred to cultivate compassion, by generously helping the poor. In these two ways, the duo veered off towards opposite 'extreme' directions. Of course, both practices are wonderful and praiseworthy in themselves, but they were far from being ideally balanced in their cases. As such, their karmic results were naturally extremely different as well. In their future lives, the first eventually attained Arhathood. However, he received little food offerings and hardly had his fill, often ending up with an empty bowl on his alms rounds. One day, on yet another futile trip, he walked by a king's garden, and saw an elephant heavily adorned with gold and silver necklaces. Even the animal's lodging was lavish, with a mosquito net above to shield him from insects, and a comfortable carpet below for him to lay upon. Given good food and water, he was treated as part of the royal family, and was probably the most doted beast in the entire kingdom and region.

      Recollecting what happened, the Arhat went to the elephant and gently whispered into his ear, 'Dharma brother! In our past lives, our paths of spiritual cultivation were both biased and partial. I only paid much attention to the cultivation of wisdom, and refused to sow the seeds of blessings, which is why I now often hold an empty alms bowl… sometimes with a meal, and sometimes without, having great hardship. Yet you, in your past life, joyfully practised generosity, cultivating only blessings but not wisdom. In this life, although your life is without worry, receiving others' care, it is a pity that you have fallen into the animal realm!' Hearing this, the elephant wept tears of sorrow and regret, and did not eat or drink for days. Concerned, the king with an assembly, went to seek the Buddha's advice. Taking the opportunity to teach, the Buddha uttered this verse, 'Cultivating blessings and not cultivating wisdom, an elephant is decked with necklaces. Cultivating wisdom and not cultivating blessings, an Arhat holds an empty alms bowl.' (修福不修慧,大象披璎珞; 修慧不修福,罗汉托空钵。)

      On one hand, mere cultivation of worldly blessings does not free us from rebirth, especially when not guided by wisdom. Such positive karma can easily lead to animalistic indulgence in sensual pleasures, spiritual complacence and growth of ignorance, with potential for downfall when blessings run out. On the other hand, mere cultivation of wisdom could lead to lack of karmic affinities for connecting with others to receive support and share the Dharma – even if one is already self-liberated. This is why we should cultivate blessings (via compassion) and wisdom together (福慧双修). Just as a bird can take proper flight only with two equally well-grown wings, so do we need this dual cultivation to become perfectly adequate as Buddhas (福慧��具足的'两足尊'). Incidentally, a most skilful means with which Buddhas guide us to swiftly increase our blessings and wisdom is via their encouragement of birth in Amituofo's (Amitabha Buddha) Pure Land, through which merits are easily accumulated with the ability to regularly and quickly make offerings to immeasurable Buddhas, and wisdom is gained by learning from them in person!

      愿生西方净土中,
      九品莲花为父母。
      花开见佛悟无生,
      回入娑婆度有情。

      – 回向偈

      May all be born within the Western Pure Land, with the nine grades of lotus as parents. When the flowers blossom, the Buddha will be seen and non-birth realised, before returning into the Saha World** to deliver sentient beings.

      – Verse For Sharing Of Merits
      **This world with endurance of suffering and rebirth

      Related Article:
      Are You Recycling Yourself Every Three Lifetimes?
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2010/08/are-you-recycling-yourself-every-three-lifetimes

      Related Courses:
      Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra (13th Run)
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2013/12/understanding-amituofo-via-the-amitabha-sutra-13th-run
      The Faith Factor: Strengthening Faith Through The Treatise On Ten Doubts About Pure Land (Run 4)
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2013/12/the-faith-factor-strengthening-faith-through-the-treatise-on-ten-doubts-about-pure-land-run-4

      – Shen Shi'an | Comment | More
         Read More in TDE Books | Get TDE Book 6

       Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: There Are No Unforgiving Bodhisattvas

      Even if, as a skilful means,
      one does not accept another's apology,
      so as to further awaken that person,
      one should not bear any grudge,
      so as to further awaken that person.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      The nineteenth secondary transgression is not accepting others' apologies. The object is someone who, for example, had been angry with us and then, realizes that it was wrong and apologizes. If we refuse to accept the apologies of the other person out of anger, vengefulness, spite and so on, we make a transgression with afflictive emotion(s).

      If there are no feelings of anger or hatred, but we still refuse to accept the apologies because, for instance, we do not feel like accepting, we then make a transgression without afflictive emotions. [Even wrathful manifestations of Bodhisattvas have no genuine anger; only compassion.] The exceptions are…

      [1] If it is better for the spiritual development of the other person that we do not accept his apologies at this time, we do not make any transgressions. [2] When the apologies have not been offered in the correct ways, we do not need to accept the apologies. [3] When we have reasons to think that the person is not serious in his apologies, we do not need to accept the apologies.

      Comment More

       The Bodhisattva Vow
       Lama Dagpo Rinpoche Jampa Gyatso
       Links

      Stonepeace | Reviews

      Movie
      The Reluctant Fundamentalist

      Music
      Just Cry & Die?

      Super Short Stories
      312: Game
      311: Reason
      310: Story
      309: Spies
      308: Allergy

       Share Articles: tde@...

       Events & Notices
       Bookmark http://thedailyenlightenment.com/category/06 for faster news
      BUDC: 8/2–12/4: The Faith Factor: Strengthening Faith Through The Treatise On Ten Doubts About Pure Land (Run 4)
      TPBC: 3/3–5/5: Project Rebirth: Rediscover, Reflect, Recharge(Round 8)
      TPBC: 4/3–6/5: Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra (13th Run)
      TPBC: 6/3–15/5: The Heart of 'The Heart Sutra': The Core Of Wisdom (Run 8)

      Kham: Keep The Flame of Buddha-Dharma Burning Bright:
      Support Building Of Monastic Hostel At Palpung Monastery
      VSS: MRT Poster Campaign – The Time Has Come | FAQs | More

      To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by contributing articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change (and cancellation) of emails, contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The information within the articles need not represent TDE's views. The copyrights of the articles belong to the authors.