Emptiness Does Not Mean Nothingness

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2008
      TheDailyEnlightenment.com Weekly 15.02.08

      Get this newsletterTDE-Weekly Archive
      Click here if you do not see pictures below

      Excerpt: Emptiness Does Not Mean Nothingness

       https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedailyenlightenment.com%2Fpics%2F568.jpg&t=1516753835&sig=MJrlzF6RS9_NkysDQr67Dw--~D It is not that phenomena are illusions; rather, they are like illusions. - HHDL

      There is no question that persons and things exist; the question is how, or in what manner, they exist. [Interdependently; not independently.] When we consider a flower, for instance, and think, "This flower has a nice shape, nice color, and nice texture," it seems as if there is something concrete that possesses these qualities of shape, color and texture. When we look into these qualities, as well as the parts of the flower, they seem to be qualities or parts of the flower, such as the color of the flower, the shape of the flower, the stem of the flower, and the petals of the flower - as if there is a flower that possesses these qualities or parts.

      However, if the flower really exists the way it appears, we should be able to come up with something separate from all of these qualities and parts that is the flower. But we cannot. Such as flower is not found upon analysis, or through other scientific tools, even though previously it seemed so substantial, so findable. Because a flower has effects, it certainly exists, but when we search to find a flower existing in accordance with our ideas about it, that is not at all findable. [Emptiness refers to phenomena being empty of fixed qualities.]

      - How to See Yourself As You Really Are (His Holiness the Dalai Lama) p.63.4
        More Excerpt Articles | Get it at www.AwarenessPlace.com

      To subscribe to the above, email tde-intl-subscribe @yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by contributing news and articles, and by encouraging friends to join. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment<at>TheDailyEnlightenment.com The information within the articles need not represent TDE-Weekly's views. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors.